Windows 10: Windows updates - is it possible to skip one or more?

Discus and support Windows updates - is it possible to skip one or more? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; With the way I use a computer, the latest Windows 10 update appears to contain changes/improvements that are not relevant to me. I'd like to skip the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Lou CSP, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Lou CSP Win User

Windows updates - is it possible to skip one or more?

With the way I use a computer, the latest Windows 10 update appears to contain changes/improvements that are not relevant to me.

I'd like to skip the update altogether - and possibly reverse/delete other updates I've already installed.

Please note that I already know how to manage the timing of (delay) the installation of updates.

Also, as I understand it, attempting to introduce an "indefinite" delay to an update does not work to achieve what I want. Particularly because subsequent updates will not install unless all prerequisites are met - including installation of all previous updates.

My preference is that only security related updates are installed.

I apologise if this has already been raised/resolved (one way or another) but would appreciate assistance, even if its just to point me in the right direction that explains what can and can't be done.

Thank you

LouCSP

:)

Lou CSP, Sep 11, 2019
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Sep 11, 2019
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

4. Asylum Win User

Windows 7 Genuine...

Yea that update is sitting in my list of updates right now.
    Update for Microsoft Windows (KB971033)
    Think ill skip that 1.

Asylum, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows updates - is it possible to skip one or more? - Similar Threads - updates possible skip

2. Is is possible to skip an update Feature Update to Windows 10, version 22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is is possible to skip an update Feature Update to Windows 10, version 22H2: Windows 10 version 22H2 makes the wheel on my mouse stop working. I tried updating drivers through Device Manager, and all drivers are up to date. Rolling back this specific update makes the mouse wheel work again. There have been no further software changes.Is there a way to...
  3. Is is possible to skip an update Feature Update to Windows 10, version 22H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is is possible to skip an update Feature Update to Windows 10, version 22H2: Windows 10 version 22H2 makes the wheel on my mouse stop working. I tried updating drivers through Device Manager, and all drivers are up to date. Rolling back this specific update makes the mouse wheel work again. There have been no further software changes.Is there a way to...
  4. Is is possible to skip an update Feature Update to Windows 10, version 22H2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Skipping Certain Windows Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Skipping Certain Windows Update: I recently have received a cumulative update for win10 version 21H1 KB5015807.I previously restarted my pc after being prompt about the update and my PC cannot detect external monitor anymore tried with 2 different monitors and 2 different HDMI cableSo I reset my PC only to...
  6. Is it okay to skip a Microsoft update to jump to the next one?

Is it okay to skip a Microsoft update to jump to the next one?: I'm on Windows 10, version 20H1. This laptop was under repair for a couple of months, hence the outdated version. So, I encountered problems updating to 20H2, and I've tried many fixes but none of them worked. Currently, I'm downloading version 21H1 from Windows 10 Upgrade...
  7. Skipping Windows Updates

Skipping Windows Updates: I have a Dell Inspiron 7559 that I haven’t used in around 3 years and it’s currently running windows version 1703. Can I jump ahead to the current 20H2 update or do I have to download all the previous updates in chronological order?...
  8. no more sound on the pc (possibly after Windows update)?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    no more sound on the pc (possibly after Windows update)?: I haven't had sound on my PC for a long time. But my headset works fine, I have also tried various things like updating the driver. I mean, I didn't have sound after doing a windows update, but I'm not sure about that either. kein ton mehr beim pc (evtl nach Windows update)?
  9. Bitlocker - Is it possible to save the key in more ways than one?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker - Is it possible to save the key in more ways than one?: Hi, I have a new PC with Windows 10 Pro installed and I'm contemplating using Bitlocker for greater safety on the two hard drives installed. One is a 128 GB SSD and the other a 1 TB SATA. I would like to know if it is possible to save the generated keys in more ways...
  10. Is It Possible to Skip a Build?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is It Possible to Skip a Build?: When I first got Windows 10, I experienced frequent crashes and hangs, and I frequently had to restart, because something wasn't working right. About a month ago, the system finally became reasonably stable. Yesterday, I upgraded to build 10586, and so far at least I haven't...