Windows 10: Windows Updates Issue after fresh MDT Deploy or In-Place Upgrade

Discus and support Windows Updates Issue after fresh MDT Deploy or In-Place Upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Good morning, everyone. Our business, within the last few months, has decided to push through with a company-wide upgrade to Win 10 Pro (not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Tackleberry, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Windows Updates Issue after fresh MDT Deploy or In-Place Upgrade

Good morning, everyone.
    Our business, within the last few months, has decided to push through with a company-wide upgrade to Win 10 Pro (not Enterprise). And while the initiative to upgrade is recent, we in IT had spent the previous 8 months before that to hammer out a solid image. Things are going smoothly for the most part, we have nice image deployed, except we have an on again/off again problem with Windows Update. After the deploy or inplace upgrade I'm finding that close to half the time, Windows updates don't work. What happens is, after the machines hit the WSUS server, report in, and they download their updates, if i'm not riding the machine when it finished downloading its updates, the 'Install Now' button disappears. In the example below, I deployed this computer's new image yesterday afternoon, got everything set, and left it on to let it tag up with WSUS and download its updates. It's a Lenovo Thinkpad T580, if that matters. I come in this morning, and this is what I see:

Windows Updates Issue after fresh MDT Deploy or In-Place Upgrade [​IMG]

Another symptom that goes along with this is that the C:\ProgramData\USOShared\Logs folder fills up with files. When I first experienced this (and not knowing about it), this folder literally filled up the remainder of the 70GB of free space post-deploy after about 4 days. This morning, there were ~50,000 files in this folder. I rebooted to try and start updates again, and in the time i've taken to write this, 1,000 files have generated in here, approximately 1-2 files every second.

Windows Updates Issue after fresh MDT Deploy or In-Place Upgrade [​IMG]

So far, the only solution i've come across has been to run Tweaking.com's Windows Update Fix, immediately followed by the Windows Update Troubleshooter Stand-alone, downloaded from Microsoft (not the built-in troubleshooter in Win 10). Sometimes I have to do this process twice, and even rarer yet, I have to re-image because I can't get it to update. After this, as near as I can tell, updates are working fine.

Some things we do as part of the deploy is remove most of the store apps, I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I tried some of the troubleshooting steps I've seen around here, with no success. I did try to update with WUAUCLT /updatenow with no success.

Any thoughts on this? I'd love to prevent this if I can.

:)

Tackleberry, Nov 8, 2018
  2. Kari Win User

Windows Updates reinstalled by MDT ?

Sorry for a delayed reply.

You are not doing anything wrong. I would not bother to update image before deploying it because, as you noticed, MDT will do it in any case.

Kari, Nov 8, 2018
  3. ws2000 Win User
    Windows Updates reinstalled by MDT ?

Hello

I have a Windows 10 1607 hyper-v reference image I update with all Windows updates prior to capturing and deploying. I recently noticed that when MDT gets to the Windows update step it is reinstalling many if the same updates I had already added to the image. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

ws2000, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Windows Updates Issue after fresh MDT Deploy or In-Place Upgrade

How to plan and deploy upgrade of Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Enterprise

• It seems Win7Pro can't be directly upgraded to Win10Ent. I read Win7Pro has to be upgraded to Win10Pro first and then upgrade to Win10Ent. Is it so?

Windows 7 Professional does not have an upgrade path to Windows 10 Enterprise, but as you noted, you can upgrade first to Windows 10 Pro, then perform an Easy Upgrade to Enterprise from Pro:

Windows 10 upgrade paths (Windows 10)
    • Is there any tool to scan network and list all PCs with information like if it can be upgraded, what all apps & drivers would be affected, etc.

The Microsoft Deployment Toolkit is what you would need:
    Microsoft Deployment Toolkit - free download | TechNet

• Is there any tool to customize deployment. I would like to remove Store, Edge, some bundled apps, automate activation, if required, etc.

The MDT would be the tool of choice:

Deploy a Windows 10 image using MDT (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

Is there any additional things to be taken care of?

WindowsNetworking.com has some good articles about deploying Windows 10:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles-tutorials/windows-10/0.1.1/

You should also post follow up questions on the dedicated Windows 10 IT Pro forums on Technet. This forum is really consumer oriented.

Technet forums - Windows 10 IT Pro - Microsoft

Andre Da Costa, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

Windows Updates Issue after fresh MDT Deploy or In-Place Upgrade

1. Windows Updates Issue after fresh MDT Deploy or In-Place Upgrade - Similar Threads - Updates Issue fresh

2. Moving MDT deployment share to a new server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving MDT deployment share to a new server: Hello, I'm in the process of building a new VM of Server 2022 and would like some advice on moving our deployment share MDT to the new server. I'd like to move the deployment share that resides on a separate partition on the old server and reattach to the new Windows Server...
  3. Windows 10 - Touch keyboard issue After MDT deployment

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 - Touch keyboard issue After MDT deployment: Hello,We use MDT to deploy Windows 10 pro version computerspast 3 versions of Windows 10 features and current 21h2. The problem I'm experiencing is the touch keyboard that will not show after the first reboot after the deployment. These are the steps I've tried/done:- update...
  4. Windows 10 - Touch keyboard issue After MDT deployment

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 - Touch keyboard issue After MDT deployment: Hello,We use MDT to deploy Windows 10 pro version computerspast 3 versions of Windows 10 features and current 21h2. The problem I'm experiencing is the touch keyboard that will not show after the first reboot after the deployment. These are the steps I've tried/done:- update...
  5. MDT is not deploying drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MDT is not deploying drivers: Hello everyone, I wish you a happy new year and the best of health. at work, MDT deploys 1 window 10 pro image to all models of computers. I do that by in task seq. I disabled the default inject driver step and add my custom task step. then named it DriverGroup001 and...
  6. MDT 2013 Deployment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MDT 2013 Deployment: we distribution OS of Chinese and Korean by MDT 2013 deployment, so I want to manually set language and time , but unable to activated when I was changed MDT Rules as the following, what should i do [Settings] Priority=Default Properties=MyCustomProperty [Default] :...
  7. Creating deployment process with WDS/MDT.

Creating deployment process with WDS/MDT.: Hi, I am a Help Desk Analyst and am being challenged with learning sysAdmin tasks. I've been tasked with setting up a deployment process, and I have been trying for a few weeks now to deploy an image with WDS/MDT. I've searched the internet hard trying to figure it out but...
  8. unable to login after a win10 1803 MDT/WDS deployment

unable to login after a win10 1803 MDT/WDS deployment: I was able to create and deploy a win10 1803 image containing a number of software packages, the deployment ends with no errors, it joins a domain. Everything worked fine with the first set of computers. However it is not working right for some other computers which have...
  9. Deploying Windows 10 using MDT and a OEM key?

Deploying Windows 10 using MDT and a OEM key?: Hi, First off, I will apologize for the complicated nature of this thread. I have several machines that have OEM licenses of Windows 8.1 Pro. What I would like to do is do the following: 1. Install Windows 8.1 Pro onto them. 2. For each machine, I will need to...
  10. Deployment Issue - MDT 2013 / OptiPlex 790 / Driver Injection

Deployment Issue - MDT 2013 / OptiPlex 790 / Driver Injection: I'm trying to successfully deploy Windows 10 on a Dell OptiPlex 790 in my lab environment in order to push Windows 10 out to several of these PCs currently in production. Despite the fact that Dell does not offer a driver pack for Windows 10 for the 790, an upgrade to Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to continue and inplace upgrade form mdt after the restart