Windows 10: Windows Updates may fail if Fast Startup is enabled

Discus and support Windows Updates may fail if Fast Startup is enabled in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]Fast Startup on Windows 10, as the name suggests, helps you boot your computer back on quickly after you have restarted it. An attribute of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jun 22, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

Windows Updates may fail if Fast Startup is enabled

Windows Updates may fail if Fast Startup is enabled Windows-Updates-may-fail-if-Fast-Startup-is-enabled.jpg
    Fast Startup on Windows 10, as the name suggests, helps you boot your computer back on quickly after you have restarted it. An attribute of the Fast Startup feature is that it could potentially prevent certain updates from installing on your Windows 10 system. In this article, we will discuss how exactly the Fast Startup […]

This article Windows Updates may fail if Fast Startup is enabled first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Jun 22, 2021
  2. Rob Welsh Win User

Windows 10 Fast Startup Boot Fail

Since about the update to W10 V1607 a Fast Startup enabled boot stalls. The four window panes appear but the circle of dots chasing it's tail do not. Prior to V1607 Fast Startup was working. Update KB3194798 failed, but was subsequently successful. A "sfc
    /scannow" didn't turn up any problems, and its to early for a boot log. Any suggestions for tracking down this annoying little problem?

Rob Welsh, Jun 22, 2021
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jun 22, 2021
  4. Windows Updates may fail if Fast Startup is enabled

Windows 10 startup fails

This problem is ongoing. Summary:

• Netbook will boot Windows 10 ok if fast startup is enabled. Every so often fast startup fails
    • The netbook fails to boot Windows 10 if fast startup is disabled. I get the Window logo and a few seconds in, the netbook clearly powers down. This is not heat or a power supply problem, the unit will run all day once booted without a problem.
    • I have enabled Shift F8 to boot into safe mode. I get the Safe Mode menu screen but boot will fail whatever selection I make.
    • Clean Boot also fails in a similar fashion.
    • When running Windows 10 the netbook operates correctly and is quicker than on Windows 7.
    I would be grateful if people could point me in the right direction to diagnose the problem.

Many thanks

Stephen

StephenBleach, Jun 22, 2021
Thema:

Windows Updates may fail if Fast Startup is enabled

1. Windows Updates may fail if Fast Startup is enabled - Similar Threads - Updates may fail

2. Fast Startup and Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fast Startup and Windows Update: In Light of the below article, is it still Microsoft recommendation for Fast Startup to be enabled? https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4011287/windows-updates-not-install-with-fast-startup...
  3. BSOD at shutdown with fast startup feature enabled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD at shutdown with fast startup feature enabled: I have an Intel NUC which is having BSOD only at shutdown, with Windows 10. I have narrowed it down to the fast startup feature. If disable it shutdows properly, without BSOD. If it is enabled, it display BSOD just before shutdown. I have latest BIOS and latest drivers. Can...
  4. Updates may not install with Fast Startup in Windows 10 1903 and 1809

in Windows 10 News
    Updates may not install with Fast Startup in Windows 10 1903 and 1809: Updates may not be installed with Fast Startup in Windows 10 Applies to: Windows 10 version 1903 all editions, Windows 10 version 1809 all editions, Windows 10 Summary Windows updates might not be installed on your system after you shut down your computer. This behavior...
  5. Windows 10 Crashing after Latest Updates - Fast Startup Enabled??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Crashing after Latest Updates - Fast Startup Enabled??: After recent Window 10 updates i am unable to start Windows 10. I get to the blue window screen with the circle of dots spinning and then it stops. I tried rebooting in diagnotics with no luck. I have replaced hard drive and reinstalled clean Windows 10 from usb drive...
  6. Failed fast startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failed fast startup: Hi, I have been facing this issue for a while now. While fast startup is enabled, my laptop has very rarely fast startup, and when checking the events viewer, it would always state the following: error) Event 29, Kernel boot: Windows failed fast startup with error status...
  7. Can't Enable Fast Startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Enable Fast Startup: Hi, guys. I can't see a way to enable fast startup in my H P laptop running W10 Home. I go to the power settings section (following instructions from the Internet). and there is no check box to enable fast startup. Any ideas? Thanks/ 122620
  8. Fast Startup in W10. Enable or disable?

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Startup in W10. Enable or disable?: Hi all - Do you think that Fast Startup should be enabled in W10? Yes or no? Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials Please explain your reasoning. Thanks! *Smile 111734
  9. Enable NumLock on Fast-Startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enable NumLock on Fast-Startup: Hello all, The issue I am currently having is enabling NumLock before the logon, I have modified the corresponding registry key (Find attached my screenshot below) and that works perfectly fine when restarting my PC, however I have fast-startup (Screenshot also below)...
  10. Fast Startup Creators update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Startup Creators update.: Is there a way to disable fast startup in the Creators Update, I've looked at the tutorials but they all seem to come from earlier versions and the screenshots shown no longer reflect what I see. Brink has a tutorial with a .bat file, would this still be valid to use ? I...