Windows 10: Windows Updates repeatedly ruin my Fingerprint Scanner (Lenovo Flex 5)

Discus and support Windows Updates repeatedly ruin my Fingerprint Scanner (Lenovo Flex 5) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This has been happening for months now. Every time I do a Windows Update, my fingerprint scanner fails to work any more. I have to uninstall and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by c-stan, Oct 23, 2019.

1. c-stan Win User

Windows Updates repeatedly ruin my Fingerprint Scanner (Lenovo Flex 5)

This has been happening for months now. Every time I do a Windows Update, my fingerprint scanner fails to work any more. I have to uninstall and reinstall it and then redo my fingerprint. And even then, sometimes it's not completely fixed. I continue to see Biometrics Device -> Synaptics WBDI in Device Manager with an exclamation point. When I check, it says "This device cannot start (Code 10)." Sometimes one reinstall of drivers will fix it, but most times it will work upon reboot only for a few times before not working any more, and I have to reboot again for it to work.

This is insanely infuriating, and I don't know why Windows Updates keeps messing this up. Someone please tell me how to permanently fix this.

:)

c-stan, Oct 23, 2019
  2. Bill U. Win User

Windows Hello and Fingerprint scanner not working on Lenovo Flex 5

Hi,

I noticed today that my Fingerprint scanner was not working to log into my Lenovo Flex 5-1570. After logging in with my pin, I go to the fingerprint sign in curious if anything was different. When I got there, I saw that Windows Hello was "not available
    on this device", which is weird since it was available yesterday?

I have tried deleting the fingerprint scanner driver using device manager, downloaded the driver from Lenovo, reinstalled the driver, and restarted the computer. No change. I found on an old Lenovo support forum to make sure that my BIOS and chipset drivers
    were up to date. Dowloaded the latest drivers from Lenovo, installed, and restarted. Again, no change. I called Lenovo support, who told me it was "a Microsoft problem". As far as I can tell it is my synaptics WBDI driver that displays error code 10 - device
    cannot be started (shown below).

Anyone have an idea of how to fix this? Thanks!

Windows Updates repeatedly ruin my Fingerprint Scanner (Lenovo Flex 5) [​IMG]

Windows Updates repeatedly ruin my Fingerprint Scanner (Lenovo Flex 5) 029cd9c8-7bdf-416c-bc9a-ce3c70222c51?upload=true.png

Bill U., Oct 23, 2019
  3. Robina99 Win User
    windows 10. Fingerprint not showing in settings. Lenovo Flex 5 1570

It did not help. I have done this a bunch of times. I rolled back the last windows10 update too, no help. HELLO not available on this computer (in settings.) Lenovo Flex 5 1570

Robina99, Oct 23, 2019
  4. Windows Updates repeatedly ruin my Fingerprint Scanner (Lenovo Flex 5)

Fingerprint Scanner Not Working

Hello Gary,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

To resolve this issue try the following steps:

• Have you updated the driver for the Finger Print scanner? If not, check on the manufacturer’s website (HP).

• Check if installing the latest driver of the fingerprint scanner allows you to login using a Microsoft Account?

This issue might occur due to driver incompatibility since upgrading to Windows 10.

If you have the raw executable file of the corresponding driver for the validity sensor, I would suggest you to install the downloaded driver file in compatible mode with Windows 7 or 8. Refer to the following steps to do so.

• Right click on the driver, and click on Properties.

• Go to the Compatibility tab.

• Check the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for:

• Select Windows 7 in the list of Operating systems.

• Click OK.

• Double-click the driver file to install the driver and follow the onscreen instructions.

• Reboot your computer.

Hope the above steps help.

Thank you.

Mohan Suryanarayan, Oct 23, 2019
Thema:

Windows Updates repeatedly ruin my Fingerprint Scanner (Lenovo Flex 5)

1. Windows Updates repeatedly ruin my Fingerprint Scanner (Lenovo Flex 5) - Similar Threads - Updates repeatedly ruin

2. BSOD errors Windows 11, Lenovo Flex 5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD errors Windows 11, Lenovo Flex 5: Frequent BSOD on Win 11. Lenovo flex 5-1570 Model name: 81CA Mfg Date 18/05/09Three BSOD errors today, last two looked quite similar, not sure the first one was the same. Can someone help with where to start in troubleshooting/fixing this?Link to onedrive with dump files,...
  3. BSOD errors Windows 11, Lenovo Flex 5

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD errors Windows 11, Lenovo Flex 5: Frequent BSOD on Win 11. Lenovo flex 5-1570 Model name: 81CA Mfg Date 18/05/09Three BSOD errors today, last two looked quite similar, not sure the first one was the same. Can someone help with where to start in troubleshooting/fixing this?Link to onedrive with dump files,...
  4. Touchscreen not working on Lenovo Flex 5 with Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchscreen not working on Lenovo Flex 5 with Windows 11: I recently wanted to temporarily disable my laptop's touchscreen, so I disabled the touchscreen device in the device manager. I later went to enable it, but the touch screen still didn't work afterward. Assuming this is an issue with Windows, are there any solutions I can...
  5. Touchscreen not working on Lenovo Flex 5 with Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchscreen not working on Lenovo Flex 5 with Windows 11: I recently wanted to temporarily disable my laptop's touchscreen, so I disabled the touchscreen device in the device manager. I later went to enable it, but the touch screen still didn't work afterward. Assuming this is an issue with Windows, are there any solutions I can...
  6. My Lenovo Flex 5 Camera stopped working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Lenovo Flex 5 Camera stopped working.: When I open the Camera app from Windows, the camera light stays on continuously but there is no image/video https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-lenovo-flex-5-camera-stopped-working/5865d792-9e71-4ab9-aaa4-b86f42e5eaed
  7. windows 10. Fingerprint not showing in settings. Lenovo Flex 5 1570

windows 10. Fingerprint not showing in settings. Lenovo Flex 5 1570: After routine updating of Windows 10, the fingerprint reader is no longer available. I used Lenovo to reset their Synaptic driver and it laster for a day each time. I did it 3 times. Please advise....
  8. Fingerprint issue in Lenovo flex 5

Fingerprint issue in Lenovo flex 5: Hi, I have exactly the same issue as below: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-hello-and-fingerprint-scanner-not-working/cb861008-79f4-4870-9f3c-94bca0206c0a I have tried all the solutions mentioned in the post. The fingerprint option is not...
  9. fingerprint scanner not working on Lenovo thinkpad

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    fingerprint scanner not working on Lenovo thinkpad: For some reason my fingerprint scanner just quit working and I try to rescan but it's like it's not even turned on. I'm incredibly stupid when it comes to computers - just want things to work!...
  10. lenovo ideapad 520s fingerprint scanner

lenovo ideapad 520s fingerprint scanner: Disappeared after Windows 10 update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/lenovo-ideapad-520s-fingerprint-scanner/5c8364b6-2f4b-492b-90ac-330f8130eff3

Users found this page by searching for:

1. lenovo flex i5 fingerprint problem

2. ideapad flex biometrics stopped working

3. windows hello not available lenovo flex 6

4. levnove flex 5 fingerprint reader does not work