Windows 10: Windows updates repeating distruction

Discus and support Windows updates repeating distruction in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows updates for the past 6 or 8 weeks wiping out my desktop and applications file use history. How to stop it and still take updates? Rebuilding... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RayHamilton2, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Windows updates repeating distruction

Windows updates for the past 6 or 8 weeks wiping out my desktop and applications file use history. How to stop it and still take updates? Rebuilding often is no fun. Does Microsoft know of the issue?

:)

RayHamilton2, Dec 11, 2019
  2. BAGZZlash Win User

MSI 5870 BIOS Update

Still can't reproduce. Could you please post the exact BIOSes that produce the issue?

BAGZZlash, Dec 11, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 11, 2019
  4. DKA M Win User

Windows updates repeating distruction

WINDOWS 10 UPDATE CONTINUALLY REPEATS ITSELF

Thank you

Followed your suggested steps however updates still repeat so have used the Show or Hide Updates tool which has solved the repeat problem for these two driver updates.

Thanks again

DKA M, Dec 11, 2019
Thema:

Windows updates repeating distruction

1. Windows updates repeating distruction - Similar Threads - updates repeating distruction

2. Updating Windows 10 repeatedly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updating Windows 10 repeatedly: Why is there a repeat update to KB5001716? How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updating-windows-10-repeatedly/d62b7959-625c-49a0-8fcf-349185c45bb7
  3. Repeated Update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repeated Update?: Had to do a restore psoint last night because of a faulty driver update through Windows Update and was able to reapply updates to get things working again properly. Today I had another update KB4023057 That wasn't installed: so now I installed it and windows keeps trying to...
  4. Repeated Update?

Repeated Update?: Had to do a restore psoint last night because of a faulty driver update through Windows Update and was able to reapply updates to get things working again properly. Today I had another update KB4023057 That wasn't installed: so now I installed it and windows keeps trying to...
  5. Windows update repeats same update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update repeats same update.: When I check windows for updates, it shows me the same update everyday over and over again, but it never updates it. But then it just goes away for a while and says I'm all up to date, but then it comes again after a while but never updates it....
  6. Windows update repeats same update.

Windows update repeats same update.: When I check windows for updates, it shows me the same update everyday over and over again, but it never updates it. But then it just goes away for a while and says I'm all up to date, but then it comes again after a while but never updates it....
  7. Repeat of the windows update issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Repeat of the windows update issues: I’ve lost count now how many updates have caused a fresh install or some kind of troubleshooting immediately after restarting. This time it just sits at the boot screen. Whenever I get it to automatic repair or go into the repair environment it goes to a black screen....
  8. Windows Update repeat updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update repeat updates: Why does Windows 10 run the same update more than once when it succeeded the first time? I've seen this happen on two different computers with update "2019-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 1903 for x64-based Systems {KB4524570)"....
  9. Repeated Windows 10 updates

Repeated Windows 10 updates: I have a 15" Microsoft Surface Book 2 running the latest build of Windows 10 1809. For the last several months, I've been getting the same two windows updates over and over: Microsoft - Printer - 9/10/2018 12:00:00 AM - 11.40.32.963 Definition Update for Windows Defender...
  10. Update 10, Run Windows trouble shooter, fixed, Repeat.. Repeat... Repeat..........

Update 10, Run Windows trouble shooter, fixed, Repeat.. Repeat... Repeat..........: Hello Community, This is my first ever post. I bought a refurbished laptop (no win 10 disk just key) from Best Buy and I have been having trouble with a few things. I have done almost every YouTube fix video, Windows help, forums with the same issue bought system mechanic,...