Windows 10: Windows Updates - Why do they keep messing with my Settings!

Discus and support Windows Updates - Why do they keep messing with my Settings! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Dear Windows programmers, When you publish an update to your operating system could you please, PLEASE do the following: 1> Ensure it wont change the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Big_Mike_D, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Windows Updates - Why do they keep messing with my Settings!

Dear Windows programmers,

When you publish an update to your operating system could you please, PLEASE do the following:

1> Ensure it wont change the Date and Time preferences on my computer. I use some older software that isn't all that savy about you date and time configurations and it doesn't like anything other than mm/dd/yy. Why you insist on resetting it to YYYY/MM/DD I don't know, just understand that the reason we have the option of changing it is because we don't all like things the same way, you should respect our choice and leave it alone.

2> Please don't remove my task bar programs. I put them there because I wanted them there, where I could see them and access them quickly, that's what that bar is for. A few months back I was a little confused when after an update none of my usual programs were on my task bar and I had to re-add them all.

3> Please stop quietly moving things around. I get that you may think it's an improvement, and it may be. But things have been a certain way for many of us for years, to suddenly find that something is just no longer there or doesn't behave in the same way anymore is disconcerting. I understand the need, even the desire to 'fix' things and or improve them, but for my 86 year old mother she feels like she is losing her mind because the computer keeps doing things just a little different. Its not nice. IF you make a change find some way to let us know about it better so we don't feel like we are losing our noodle.

Just remember, in 40 years, some young guy will be changing everything you have done and messing with your head, find a better way... today.

Thoughtfully yours,

Michael

:)

Big_Mike_D, Nov 23, 2018
  2. jbailey8 Win User

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

To turn off windows updates in windows 7 follow these steps:

Click the start button, in the search box type in 'windows updates', click on 'windows update'
    in the search results list, in the left side of the windows update window click 'change settings'
    then in the option bar select 'Never check for updates'.

jbailey8, Nov 23, 2018
  3. Jetster Win User
    FIXED!! Windows 7 sp1 never ends searching for updates

I just go to settings and select don't check for updates./ After I finish the clean install
    Then when its done all 6 steps I set it to check for updates

It might be the wireless messing it up. But this is what I've always done

Jetster, Nov 23, 2018
  4. Johan45 Win User

Windows Updates - Why do they keep messing with my Settings!

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Nov 23, 2018
Thema:

Windows Updates - Why do they keep messing with my Settings!

1. Windows Updates - Why do they keep messing with my Settings! - Similar Threads - Updates Why keep

2. Why do my monitor settings keep resetting on startup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do my monitor settings keep resetting on startup?: I just built a new computer and every time I turn on my computer the monitors have reset. I have to go to display setting and change monitor 1 location from the left side to the right. I also have to go and change both of the monitors hz rate.Monitors: M27Q on display port...
  3. Why do my print settings/alignment keep changing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why do my print settings/alignment keep changing?: I print weekly on the same pre-printed check stock and the text keeps moving down a bit. Now the name is under the "Pay to the Order of" line....
  4. Why do my print settings/alignment keep changing?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why do my print settings/alignment keep changing?: I print weekly on the same pre-printed check stock and the text keeps moving down a bit. Now the name is under the "Pay to the Order of" line....
  5. Why does Windows Update keep messing up my AMD Adrenalin Driver?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows Update keep messing up my AMD Adrenalin Driver?: ACER Nitro 5AMD Ryzen 5 3550HAMD Radeon RX 560XMy driver gets messed up every single time Windows has an update, so I always end up having to reset my driver and download a new one from AMD's site. Is there a way for me to prevent Windows from doing this? This has been going...
  6. Why does Windows Update keep messing up my AMD Adrenalin Driver?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does Windows Update keep messing up my AMD Adrenalin Driver?: ACER Nitro 5AMD Ryzen 5 3550HAMD Radeon RX 560XMy driver gets messed up every single time Windows has an update, so I always end up having to reset my driver and download a new one from AMD's site. Is there a way for me to prevent Windows from doing this? This has been going...
  7. Why does Windows Update keep messing up my AMD Adrenalin Driver?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows 10 update messed up my settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update messed up my settings: Today I was forced to update windows and the update ruined my settings. This is unacceptable. Please help me restore my computer to a useable state and not the mess of a state your update left it in. You should be ashamed....
  9. Did this update mess with my settings?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Did this update mess with my settings?: So this question is probably a little dumb but it's got me a bit paranoid so I'll ask it anyway. I installed the August 11th cumulative update today, and when my PC powered back on, it asked me stuff like if I wanted to keep my activity history in my microsoft account and...
  10. windows 10 update messed with my settings

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 update messed with my settings: Hi! After I installed the Windows 10 update onto my ASUS computer, it reset all my programs and settings and wiped some preferences and data from my device. I saw someone else post about this, the help received said it was 'unlikely' to have been caused by the update,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows updaTE KEEPS MESSING WITH NMY SETTINGS