Windows 10: Windows upgrade 1809 installed on HDD instead of SSD

Discus and support Windows upgrade 1809 installed on HDD instead of SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, some months ago I added a 250GB SSD and cloned the OS and data to it from my HDD. (The BIOS was reset at that time to boot from the SSD.) All went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Yorky, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Yorky Win User

Windows upgrade 1809 installed on HDD instead of SSD

Hi, some months ago I added a 250GB SSD and cloned the OS and data to it from my HDD. (The BIOS was reset at that time to boot from the SSD.) All went well until the receipt of the 1809 version last week.
    I find that the Windows 10 Upgrade Folder on the SSD contains only some 23MB while the same folder on the HDD contains 3.22Gb.Created on the day of it being downloaded last week.
    In addition despite the BIOS being set to Boot from the SSD it boots (I believe) from the HDD.(The BIOS has been checked and still has the SSD has default with the HDD second)
    Will copying the content of the Windows 10 Upgrade Folder from the HDD to the SSD solve the problem?(or might doing so involve a 'new' installation procedure?)
    There is 123GB of free space on the SSD.
    Thank you.

:)

Yorky, Jan 30, 2019

2. Clean Install From Upgrade to Second SSD Intead of HDD

I recently purchased a HP Envy 17t laptop with an 1tb HDD that has windows 8.1 installed. I would like to install the upgrade to windows 10 but I want to put it on a my old Mushkin 120gb SSD and use the HDD as a storage drive. Is there a way to do a clean
    install to my SSD instead of the HDD?

TrevorBrennan, Jan 30, 2019
  3. Move Windows 10 from installed hdd to installed ssd

Hi i made my own pc i have a hdd and a ssd when i installed windows for the first time it got installed on the hdd instead of the ssd and i have no idea of how to reinstall windows on my ssd instead of the hdd my pc is empty only windows on it so i dont
    mind how its done i just need a way that works !!

Prakticaljoke, Jan 30, 2019
  4. jr1107 Win User

Upgrading from HDD to SSD on Windows 10

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my current HDD (on my laptop) to a Samsung Evo SSD and I have some queries regarding the process. I am aware of the whole media creating process but I'd just wanna know if there would be any activation issues. I believe these are
    the steps involved.

1. Download the media creation tool. (Please confirm which one)

2. Replace HDD by SSD.

3. Boot from USB Drive and install on SSD. (It should not ask for a license)

4. Install all drivers.

Is this it? Did I miss any step?

Thank you

jr1107, Jan 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows upgrade 1809 installed on HDD instead of SSD - Similar Threads - upgrade 1809 installed

2. Window 11 installation after HDD to SSD upgradation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window 11 installation after HDD to SSD upgradation: hi, I am using a windows 10 home version and recently I got update notification to change my OS to Windows 11. But since I am planning to change my HDD to SSD, I would like to know whether I can install Windows 11 directly after hard disk updation. If so how can I install...
  3. Upgradation of HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgradation of HDD to SSD: I want to upgrade my laptop's hardware configuration. I want to change my HDD to SSD. But If i want a fresh installation of Windows 10 to my new SSD then how I will put my Product key there as it is OEM provided....
  4. Windows defaults to old HDD instead of newly installed SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows defaults to old HDD instead of newly installed SSD: Hi, I switched out my old HDD Western Digital 750GB and installed a new SSD SanDisk 500GB into my Windows 10 i7 ASUS laptop. It worked a treat speeding up boot times from about 2 minutes to less than 15 seconds. Super! I decided to reuse the old HDD by removing the...
  5. Setups automatically installing in ssd instead of hdd

Setups automatically installing in ssd instead of hdd: I just clean wiped my pc yet it still has the issue where for example: steam setup is set on my SSD C: where it is supposed to automatically install in my HDD D:. it does this for practically every setup. HELP!...
  6. Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install but upgrade from hdd to ssd.: current setup: hdd running 1903 primary boot target: 1909 upgrade/clean install on ssd then primary boot 1903 still bootable on hdd secondary/backup boot in case of failures of any kind. how would i manage that without an optical which is being replaced by a tray caddy...
  7. Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD

Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD: Hi everyone, I migrated to Windows 10 from 8.1 during Windows Insider Program's first days and kept getting updates from Update section till now. Recently I found my PC not working fast enough and I decided to buy a new SSD hard drive and reinstall my Windows on it. In the...
  8. upgrade hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Customization
    upgrade hdd to ssd: Good Morning/Evening, I would like to upgrade the hdd of my laptop to ssd. I need all my files and os unchange. May you folks advise me the procedure? thanks beforehand for your help. regards mark...
  9. debating on upgrading to a ssd instead of a standard hdd

debating on upgrading to a ssd instead of a standard hdd: I am debating if I want to upgrade this laptop to a ssd from a standard hdd. the main questions are will there be much of a performance increase with a ssd instead of a standard hdd, and if I do where do I get the product key to reinstall the windows 10 pro. it was upgraded...
  10. Windows installed on my HDD instead of my SSD?

Windows installed on my HDD instead of my SSD?: Just downloaded Windows 10 and noticed both my "windows" folder and "old windows" folder are located in my HDD. How can I transfer windows 10 to my SSD? Windows 8 was originally on my SSD, I don't understand why it installed on my HDD. I'm not really a tech wiz but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows was installed to my ssd instead of my c