Windows 10: Windows upgrades

Discus and support Windows upgrades in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm not sure if Microsoft have thought through the new policy on updates and upgrades. The only way we have found to control them is mark our... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by robmar0se, Dec 27, 2015.

1. robmar0se Win User

Windows upgrades

I'm not sure if Microsoft have thought through the new policy on updates and upgrades.

The only way we have found to control them is mark our internet connection as metered.

I have had several "home" users having trouble with the recent upgrade. The size and time taken to download and install confuses many home users into thinking something is wrong, and frequently switch the machine off, with subsequent consequences.

In fact we are recommending to all to mark the internet as metered to avoid this problem.

I suggest the new policy of making upgrades automatic is less than sensible - more muddled thinking from Microsoft

:)

robmar0se, Dec 27, 2015
  2. cy414 Win User

w7ultimate upgrades to? rules on hardwear upgrades? preserving only personal data during update?

i have windows 7 ultimate, which doesn't seem to be included in the image showing upgrade paths since its not home or rtm, will i get w10 home or pro?

i could do with upgrading parts on my pc, the primary HDDs in particular since its a raid0 setup of 2 300gb drives, and possibly CPU. would this void the licence?

given it has been a while since i did a re-installation, as much as i have seen that i should be able to get an .iso to do the w10 update, will there be an option to do an install that only preserves 'my documents' rather than carrying forward any registry
    issues?

cy414, Dec 27, 2015
  3. w7ultimate upgrades to? rules on hardwear upgrades? preserving only personal data during update?

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files, applications and settings.

Backup your computer:

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How to: 10 Tips before
    installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things
    to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your
    free update to Windows 10 this summer.

I would recommend you uninstall your RAID configuration before upgrading.

Upgrade editions
    We’ll keep you on like-to-like editions of Windows. For instance, if you are using Windows 7 Home Premium, you’ll upgrade to Windows 10 Home.

Windows 7*

From Edition
    To Edition

Windows 7 Starter
    Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Home Basic

Windows 7 Home Premium

Windows 7 Professional
    Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows 8**

From Edition
    To Edition

Windows Phone 8.1****
    Windows 10 Mobile

Windows 8.1***
    Windows 10 Home

Windows 8.1 Pro
    Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8.1 Pro for Students

*Must be running the latest version of Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) to receive the free upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update.

**Must be running the latest version of Windows 8 (Windows 8.1 Update) to receive the free upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update.

*** Also applies to Windows 8.1 country specific editions, Windows 8.1 Single Language, Windows 8.1 with Bing.

****The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier.

“N” and “KN” editions follow the upgrade path of the parent edition (e.g., Windows 7 Professional N upgrades to Windows 10 Pro).

Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer.

Windows 10 System Requirements & Specifications | Microsoft

Andre Da Costa, Dec 27, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Windows upgrades

I would suggest that you post that comment to Feedback app where Microsoft people are supposed to read and take notes.
    No guarantees they will consider your suggestion but that is the venue we are supposed to use.
    Read the feedback posts. There is probably a comment/complaint similar to yours. Upvote it. If enough people do that, MS might listen.

davidhk, Dec 27, 2015
Thema:

Windows upgrades

1. Windows upgrades - Similar Threads - upgrades

2. Windows 11 inplace upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 inplace upgrade: I'm attempting an in-place upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 using an SCCM Task Sequence. However, during the process, when the Task Sequence restarts the laptop for the first step, it fails at the 'Running action: Partition Disk 0 UEFI' step. The laptop model is an HP...
  3. Windows 11 inplace upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 inplace upgrade: I'm attempting an in-place upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11 using an SCCM Task Sequence. However, during the process, when the Task Sequence restarts the laptop for the first step, it fails at the 'Running action: Partition Disk 0 UEFI' step. The laptop model is an HP...
  4. Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11: I am wanting to confirm cost of upgrade? 99.00 I believe. Do I get my VA discount on this type of purchase? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-windows-home-11-to-windows-pro-11/dffb4837-9c4a-4427-bdec-f546a89619bd
  5. Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11

Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11: I am wanting to confirm cost of upgrade? 99.00 I believe. Do I get my VA discount on this type of purchase? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-windows-home-11-to-windows-pro-11/dffb4837-9c4a-4427-bdec-f546a89619bd
  6. Windows 7 upgrading into windows 10 and it would just crash and sets back windows 7 again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 upgrading into windows 10 and it would just crash and sets back windows 7 again: Hi so i just tried upgrading my windows 7 laptop to windows 10 and after it finish's the upgrade it just shows the crash screen and sets back windows 7 again the crash screen said "Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart" how to fix it?...
  7. Windows 7 upgrading into windows 10 and it would just crash and sets back windows 7 again

Windows 7 upgrading into windows 10 and it would just crash and sets back windows 7 again: Hi so i just tried upgrading my windows 7 laptop to windows 10 and after it finish's the upgrade it just shows the crash screen and sets back windows 7 again the crash screen said "Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart" how to fix it?...
  8. What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.: I am setting up a new desktop and on my current desktop I already have a Windows 11 Home license installed and running.I want to upgrade my existing desktop to Windows 11 Pro and relocate the Windows 11 Home license onto the new desktop that is being built.A few questions...
  9. What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.

What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.: I am setting up a new desktop and on my current desktop I already have a Windows 11 Home license installed and running.I want to upgrade my existing desktop to Windows 11 Pro and relocate the Windows 11 Home license onto the new desktop that is being built.A few questions...
  10. Does my Windows 10 laptop's CPU support upgrading to 11?

Does my Windows 10 laptop's CPU support upgrading to 11?: Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I am not too savvy with CPU stuff. All I know is that a requirement to download 11 is SSE4.2, which I have but I am still worried I am missing something...