Windows 10: Windows Username under Users\ folder on disk not correct

Discus and support Windows Username under Users\ folder on disk not correct in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I recently installed windows 10 and signed in directly with my microsoft credentials instead of first creating a local user. I've just noticed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Prodigy_, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Prodigy_ Win User

Windows Username under Users\ folder on disk not correct

Hi,

I recently installed windows 10 and signed in directly with my microsoft credentials instead of first creating a local user.

I've just noticed that the username under the C:\Users\ directory only picks up the first five characters of my name.

It seems that there is not simple way to correct this, one forum answer directs to change registry values, which hasn't fixed this problem for me.

Can someone please clarify if there is a clean solution to this problem?

:)

Prodigy_, Jan 23, 2020
  2. Kreij Win User

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Jan 23, 2020
  3. mrgeek Win User
    Correct Directory Location For Pictures Folder

"Now Documents, Videos etc say file location is This PC. But Pictures file location is C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures."

If we understand you correctly, the issue is that Pictures doesn't appear in the left panel under This PC. The correct location IS C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures. This is only an issue of using Step 8 in the tutorial to add it back to the list. See if this screenshot is what you want to achieve- put Pictures folder back in list on L.

Windows Username under Users\ folder on disk not correct [​IMG]

mrgeek, Jan 23, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Move Users Folder Location in Windows 10  

If not the best way to do that but at least the way I recommend:

• "Empty" your user profile folders as much as you can, copying documents, pics, videos, music and all other personal data from all user profiles to external HDD. As following steps require you to relocate Users folder two times, the less data is left in user profile folders, the faster the relocation process. Important: Leave system folder AppData for each profile intact, do not empty / move its content!
    • Reverse the relocating, doing exactly as told in tutorial Method Two but this time relocating Users folder back to C: drive
    • Shut down the PC, replace the disk where you had Users relocated
    • Mount the new disk, boot to Windows, assign new disk the same drive ID letter than the old one had
    • Again, do as told in Method Two, now relocating Users to new disk
    • Restore the backed up personal user data from external drive to respective folders under each user profile

Thema:

1. Windows Username under Users\ folder on disk not correct - Similar Threads - Username under Users

2. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  3. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  4. Correcting user folder in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Correcting user folder in windows 11: My C: User folder has missed a letter in my name. How do I add it. I have windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/correcting-user-folder-in-windows-11/20122728-b60c-4bfa-8ab0-66a118816217
  5. Correcting user folder in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Correcting user folder in windows 11: My C: User folder has missed a letter in my name. How do I add it. I have windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/correcting-user-folder-in-windows-11/20122728-b60c-4bfa-8ab0-66a118816217
  6. Username in the Users Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Username in the Users Folder: Hi,I recently deleted my account from my laptop and logged in again using the Family section in Family and Other Users page in settings I removed it by running the netplwiz command. Now when I login, there is a new folder and it is not the same username as before the previous...
  7. Correct username under C:\windows\Users path in windows 10?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Correct username under C:\windows\Users path in windows 10?: After doing a custom install of windows 10, due to BSOD error loop, I am facing few newer issues. Issue 1: Username path in C:\Users\ got changed automatically from C:\Users\Raghav to C:\Users\ragha somehow on this new custom install of Windows 10 (version 20H2). why we...
  8. Correct username under C:\windows\Users path in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Correct username under C:\windows\Users path in windows 10?: After doing a custom install of windows 10, due to BSOD error loop, I am facing few newer issues. Issue 1: Username path in C:\Users\ got changed automatically from C:\Users\Raghav to C:\Users\ragha somehow on this new custom install of Windows 10 (version 20H2). why we...
  9. Document, Picutures, etc Folders under C:\User\{username} vs Same named folders under...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Document, Picutures, etc Folders under C:\User\{username} vs Same named folders under...: What is the difference (content) between the folders Documents, Pictures, etc. in c:\Users\[username] and same named folders under c:\Users\[username]\OneDrive? Why aren't the contents the same?...
  10. strange folders under users folders...

in Windows 10 Support
    strange folders under users folders...: i found these strange folders under the users folders and other places... dozens of them... ones like Send To, Start Menu, Templates, etc they have shortcut arrows but they are not... they are file folders and they have no size and the date is when i installed...