Windows 10: Windows users, your cropped images may not be private

Discus and support Windows users, your cropped images may not be private in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Have you heard about the recent discovery made by researchers regarding the Pixel's cropping tool? They found out that the tool did not fully remove... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 22, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows users, your cropped images may not be private

Have you heard about the recent discovery made by researchers regarding the Pixel's cropping tool? They found out that the tool did not fully remove the data that was deleted and that the deleted portions of the image could still be accessed with some effort.

Now, one of the same researchers has reported that the Snipping Tool for Windows 11 and the Snip & Sketch tool in Windows 10 have a similar vulnerability. This means that the information that users thought they had deleted may still be available on the internet, potentially causing privacy concerns.

David Buchanan, a researcher, has revealed via a tweet that the vulnerability in Microsoft's Snipping Tool can be exploited by taking a screenshot, saving it, cropping it, and saving it again to the same file. This process may leave the deleted data accessible within the file. As per Buchanan, one can use a similar code to the one used for accessing Pixel screenshots to retrieve the data, with minor modifications.

holy FUCK.

Windows Snipping Tool is vulnerable to Acropalypse too.

An entirely unrelated codebase.

The same exploit script works with minor changes (the pixel format is RGBA not RGB)

Tested myself on Windows 11 https://t.co/5q2vb6jWOn pic.twitter.com/ovJKPr0x5Y

— David Buchanan (@David3141593) March 21, 2023

It seems that the vulnerability in Microsoft's Snipping Tool is not very widespread. According to Buchanan, the exploit requires a specific sequence of actions involving saving, cropping, and saving again. Therefore, if the initial screenshot only includes a particular part of the screen, the exploit may not work. Although the Snip & Sketch tool in Windows 10 reportedly has the same vulnerability, Buchanan claims that the original Snipping Tool for Windows 10 does not have this issue.

Recently, Buchanan and fellow researcher Simon Aarons had warned about the "acropalypse" vulnerability affecting Pixels, emphasizing that even if this issue gets fixed, the problem does not go away entirely. The images created using the tool might still exist, and the portions that were intended to be cropped out may remain unaltered, leading to privacy concerns.

Introducing acropalypse: a serious privacy vulnerability in the Google Pixel's inbuilt screenshot editing tool, Markup, enabling partial recovery of the original, unedited image data of a cropped and/or redacted screenshot. Huge thanks to @David3141593 for his help throughout! pic.twitter.com/BXNQomnHbr

— Simon Aarons (@ItsSimonTime) March 17, 2023

Following the announcement of the "acropalypse" vulnerability, there has been an increased interest in examining other screenshotting tools. Chris Blume, who chairs the working group for the PNG image format that Snipping Tool uses, drew attention to the issue by tweeting that Snipping Tool may not truncate files accurately when overwriting existing images. Blume's tweet was instrumental in Buchanan's discovery of the vulnerability in Snipping Tool.

I've got a fun one for you all to look at.

I opened a 198 byte PNG with Microsoft's Snipping Tool, chose "Save As" to overwrite a different PNG file (no editing), and saves a 4,762 byte file with all that extra after the PNG IEND chunk.

Sounds similar Windows users, your cropped images may not be private :D

— Chris Blume (@ProgramMax) March 21, 2023

Microsoft is investigating the issue

“We are aware of these reports and are investigating. We will take action as needed to help keep customers protected," stated Microsoft spokesperson Rachel Tougher Withers.

Windows users, your cropped images may not be private windows-crop-images_02.jpg

The recent discovery of vulnerabilities in screenshotting tools such as Microsoft's Snipping Tool has once again highlighted the ongoing challenge of maintaining data security in our increasingly digital world. The fact that these tools did not fully remove deleted data indicates the need for increased scrutiny of technology to ensure user privacy.

The warning about the "acropalypse" vulnerability affecting Pixels is a reminder that even seemingly minor issues can have far-reaching consequences. As we continue to rely more and more on technology, it is imperative that we prioritize data security to safeguard sensitive information and ensure that our digital footprints remain protected.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows users, your cropped images may not be private appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 22, 2023
  2. JimWynne Win User

How to crop image like this...

Your image didn't appear.

JimWynne, Mar 22, 2023
  3. How to crop image like this...

I would like to know how those kind of pictures are cropped?

I think this can be done differently, but if it can be handle straight into an upload of image and a quick crop to just take the needs would be great.

Windows users, your cropped images may not be private 1344554.png

when reading Blog and technical notes on TechNet, we can see a lot of snapshot/snippet pictures taken by the author. Those pictures a cropped often with a nice border at bottom and on the right side (like the
    picture in my question)

I would like to know how this is done...

• Is it a crop after the upload of the pictures
    • Is it a tool which is used before image upload
    • Is it a JavaScript option...
    I think there is many possibilities, but I'm interested to learn how this is done and if we can replicate the process on our own.

lionelGERARD, Mar 22, 2023
  4. LAH646 Win User

Getting white edges when cropping in 3D paint

The title says it all. Steps I'm taking:

• Open/Browse/Select an image
    • Click Canvas: adjust pixel sizing to as close as I can to my desired pixels - usually this adjusts either height or width to my needs but I need to crop the other.
    • Click Crop: crop the image
    • File Save
    Sometimes, I get a nice clean crop. Other times I get a white edge on one, sometimes 2 sides and it's usually not the side I cropped. So If I crop in from the left, the right has a white edge or sometimes the bottom.

Any tips on how to avoid this?

PS - I tried to add an example file but since this background is white, the white edge isn't viewable.

LAH646, Mar 22, 2023
Thema:

1. Windows users, your cropped images may not be private - Similar Threads - users cropped images

2. Windows Screenshot Tools may also leak cropped image content

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Screenshot Tools may also leak cropped image content: Microsoft's Windows operating system includes screen capturing tools, which users may use to take screenshots and do light image editing. While not as sophisticated as other screenshot tools, it is the daily helper app of millions of Windows users when it comes to capturing...
  3. Your connection is not private

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Your connection is not private: every time i click on any website, i get this message constantly recently, so what can i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/your-connection-is-not-private/18d5f7a0-4920-4295-a5bb-5f7f7f95a574
  4. auto cropping thumbnail and preview image

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    auto cropping thumbnail and preview image: Hello,i'm looking for a way to unable the auto-cropping preview image.i added an image file to the folder that is shared via Onedrive.the issue is that the thumbnail image on the icon and the preview are cropped automatically so that i actualy have to open the file to see the...
  5. auto cropping thumbnail and preview image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    auto cropping thumbnail and preview image: Hello,i'm looking for a way to unable the auto-cropping preview image.i added an image file to the folder that is shared via Onedrive.the issue is that the thumbnail image on the icon and the preview are cropped automatically so that i actualy have to open the file to see the...
  6. Your Connection is not private

Your Connection is not private: I took this message on my android phone and windows 10 pc a couple of times. Your Connection is not private Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.google.com for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards. www.google.com normally uses encryption...
  7. Your connection is not private

Your connection is not private: Hola, tengo un error en cualquier navegador que use al intentar entrar a google.com, el cual dice "Your connection is not private" Me pasa en cualquier navegador, desde Brave mi navegador predeterminado, Chrome y Edge. Ya intente los comandos ipconfig /release, /renew y...
  8. "Windows Photo Viewer" cropping images in slideshow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Windows Photo Viewer" cropping images in slideshow: I prefer to use "Windows Photo Viewer" for viewing images since like forever, and since I upgraded to windows 10 I have been facing some issues. I recently upgraded to Windows 10, but when I use the same it shows all the images cropped whenever I enter the slideshow mode. Is...
  9. Crop Image in Windows 10 Photos app

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Crop Image in Windows 10 Photos app: How to: Crop Image in Windows 10 Photos app How to Crop Image in Windows 10 Photos app The Photos app included in Windows 10 is a universal app that allows you to enjoy, organize, edit, and share all your digital memories. It brings together photos and videos from all...
  10. "Your connection is not private"

"Your connection is not private": I keep getting this error with almost every website I go to, Google, Reddit, Facebook, etc. "Your connection is not private Attackers might be trying to steal your information from Google (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards)....