Windows 10: Windows VLAN chaos: How do I stop Windows combining untagged and phone vlans?

Discus and support Windows VLAN chaos: How do I stop Windows combining untagged and phone vlans? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; After a lengthly debug session, I discovered that our Windows10/Windows11 machines receive packets from our phone VLAN, strip the VLAN tags off the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by minfrin, Nov 30, 2022.

1. minfrin Win User

Windows VLAN chaos: How do I stop Windows combining untagged and phone vlans?

After a lengthly debug session, I discovered that our Windows10/Windows11 machines receive packets from our phone VLAN, strip the VLAN tags off the phone VLAN packets, and then forward the packets on, making the packets indistinguishable from packets on our regular untagged VLAN.With the two networks smooshed together, the Windows machines randomly get IPv4 addresses from the untagged network like they should, then the phone network like they shouldn't, and back again. The breakage is clear to see in IPv6 - Windows gets IPv6 addresses on both the untagged VLAN and the phone VLAN at the sam

:)

minfrin, Nov 30, 2022

2. VLAN problems on managed Cisco switch.

When you are trunking you are making sure the equipment on the other side of the trunk is accepting and passing VLAN tags.

My first suggestion is to draw this out on visio and post it here. This will give us some things to work with. Also get more techincal with the description of the network layout.

Are the AP's connecting to 1 VLAN per node? Is each node set to a specific number of SSID's that are set in the controller with the appropriate VLAN?

Try this.

switchport mode general
    switchport general allowed vlan add (vlans here) untagged.
    switchport general native vlan add (should be your management VLAN)

Here is an example of a trunk port I build the other day

interface ethernet 1/24
    switchport allowed vlan add 1 untagged
    switchport native vlan 1
    switchport acceptable-frame-types tagged
    switchport allowed vlan add 4-5,10,16,18,20,4093 tagged

brandonwh64, Nov 30, 2022
  3. VLAN problems on managed Cisco switch.

There's your problem. Aerohive. Those are terrible with VLANs. rarely ever heard anyone actually properly get VLANs to work on those things...

try making the native vlan untagged and only tag the guest/secondary and other VLANs and set default route to your main VLAN.

I have to have the main VLAN untagged in my two aruba APs and it works. I only tag the other VLANs in the AP interface.

does yours do it like this:

For example:

Cisco Meraki Z1: two VLANs: main=vlan10, guest=vlan 3 all ports trunk and allow all vlans (default=10)
    Aruba RAP109s: main ssid:networks assigned:untagged guest ssid:network assigned:tag=3

Windows VLAN chaos: How do I stop Windows combining untagged and phone vlans? instant-arubanetworks-com_2014-09-20_17-51-30-png.png

Windows VLAN chaos: How do I stop Windows combining untagged and phone vlans? instant-arubanetworks-com_2014-09-20_17-51-54-png.png

and it works... but when I tag the first one in the AP config clients don't obtain IPs... aruba support told me that that is how it needs to be done.

you can try that on an aerohive but good luck even getting that to work.....

remixedcat, Nov 30, 2022
  4. Windows VLAN chaos: How do I stop Windows combining untagged and phone vlans?

VLAN problems on managed Cisco switch.

So, I'm having a weird issue with a Cisco switch. I am using Aerohive APs and they use different SSIDs that communicate over several VLANS. For some reason, they are only able to communicate over one SSID on one VLAN. It doesn't even recognize the others. It appears as though the ports on the switch are setup the same as other switches that also have those VLANS/APs. Has anyone else experienced this?

Here is an example of the configuration of an AP port:

switchport mode trunk
    switchport trunk allowed vlan (lists VLANs allowed here)
    switchport trunk native vlan (VLAN number here)

The VLANs themselves are also configured on the switch along with the helper IP addresses that correspond to them.

The switch is using VTP version 2 with the correct domain listed. The switch is showing that it was configured by the correct VTP server, but not since March.

Model: WS-C2960S-24PS-L

Anyone have any thoughts?

rolling moses, Nov 30, 2022
Thema:

Windows VLAN chaos: How do I stop Windows combining untagged and phone vlans?

1. Windows VLAN chaos: How do I stop Windows combining untagged and phone vlans? - Similar Threads - VLAN chaos stop

2. Windows VLAN chaos: How do I stop Windows combining untagged and phone vlans?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows VLAN chaos: How do I stop Windows combining untagged and phone vlans?: After a lengthly debug session, I discovered that our Windows10/Windows11 machines receive packets from our phone VLAN, strip the VLAN tags off the phone VLAN packets, and then forward the packets on, making the packets indistinguishable from packets on our regular untagged...
  3. Multiple vlan on nic card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple vlan on nic card: Hello,I need to connect multiple vlan on a single NIC card in a pc with windows 11, how can I do it?I have a nic intel 802.1q and on windows 10 I able to configure vlan with "Intel PROSet software de Windows PowerShell" but it seems that the tool is not available for windows...
  4. Multiple vlan on nic card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple vlan on nic card: Hello,I need to connect multiple vlan on a single NIC card in a pc with windows 11, how can I do it?I have a nic intel 802.1q and on windows 10 I able to configure vlan with "Intel PROSet software de Windows PowerShell" but it seems that the tool is not available for windows...
  5. DNS / VLAN Network configuration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS / VLAN Network configuration: I will keep environment simple. There are two VLANs, VLAN_100 hosts AD DC and production servers, whereas VLAN_200 hosts workstations. Inter VLAN routing is enabled between domains. The DC hosts DNS and DHCP services. Router is setup to relay DHCP Address requests for all...
  6. DNS / VLAN Network configuration

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS / VLAN Network configuration: I will keep environment simple. There are two VLANs, VLAN_100 hosts AD DC and production servers, whereas VLAN_200 hosts workstations. Inter VLAN routing is enabled between domains. The DC hosts DNS and DHCP services. Router is setup to relay DHCP Address requests for all...
  7. What is VLAN? Why do we use VLANs?

in Windows 10 News
    What is VLAN? Why do we use VLANs?: [IMG]You may or may not have heard of VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network). It is something that is primarily used in large businesses around the world. If you are interested in opening a business that requires VLANs, you will need to learn more about it. Not only that, if you...
  8. VLAN Intel Nic on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    VLAN Intel Nic on Windows 10: Trying to set up a vlan on the nic card on my windows 10 pc. Does anyone know how to do this in an easy way? Looking for the most helpful way I can go about this, and guides if you know of any. I'm confused about this step: 5.3 Within the Command prompt, go to APPS >...
  9. Vlans and windows 10 and EOL windows 7

Vlans and windows 10 and EOL windows 7: as vlan use with windows 7 worked well and is an important part of our workflow, upgrading to windows 10 is not an option as Microsoft does not properly support this. when will Microsoft have proper vlan support in windows 10?...
  10. vlan no windows 10

vlan no windows 10: minha placa e realtek a versao do driver ta atualizada, mas a opção vlan nao funciona .. o que pode ser? alguma configuração minha? agradeço a compreencao https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vlan-no-windows-10/490f53b9-7865-42ab-927a-ef7c082d310b