Windows 10: Windows VPN stopped working via wifi

Discus and support Windows VPN stopped working via wifi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 3 Windows 10 Pro / Business version 1909 that have stopped connecting to VPN when those devices are connected over wifi. When clicking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TonyBMpls, Jan 18, 2020.

1. TonyBMpls Win User

Windows VPN stopped working via wifi

I have 3 Windows 10 Pro / Business version 1909 that have stopped connecting to VPN when those devices are connected over wifi. When clicking "Connect", it will say "Connecting to ip address" but never connect.

We have used the Microsoft built-in VPN client to vpn into a Cisco Meraki network using L2TP/IPsec with preshared key for the last 1-2 years without issue. Suddenly in the last week the vpn from at least 3 different windows devices will not vpn connect. All 3 were upgraded to Windows Pro Business from Windows 10 Home in the last week.

One of the devices is my device that I've had for 2+ years running Windows Home and frequently vpn into the office without issue. This last week I upgraded it to Windows Pro / Business as we are beginning to migrate to M365. VPN on the device did work after the upgrade but then stopped within a day or two.

After much trial and error, I have found this:

• vpn connects successfully when usb tethered for a network usb tether is the only way to hardwire to a network on these laptops
    • vpn will NOT connect over wifi regardless of the wifi network I have tried at least 2 different wifi networks. All of our laptops are used on wifi so usb tethering will not be a solution.
    • will not vpn connect over wifi even with the windows firewall completely disabled on the client.
    • makes no difference whether attempting to vpn connect from the system tray or from Settings / VPN. Neither will connect.
    • I have also verified that the connection key and credentials are correct using the same vpn connection successfully when usb tethered.

:)

TonyBMpls, Jan 18, 2020
  2. Knoxx29 Win User

Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Hi everyone.
    I am not an expert about Vpn and that's why I would like to know if someone could list me a few trusted Vpns, I would really appreciate any suggestion/ advice.

Thanks.

Knoxx29, Jan 18, 2020
  3. vpn is not working

Hi,

To address your concern, provide the answers to the following:

• Is your WiFi enabled when trying to connect to VPN?
    • Were you able to use WiFi without connecting to VPN?

If you can use WiFi properly without connecting to VPN, we suggest that you refer to your company's IT folks.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Jan 18, 2020
  4. P4-630 Win User

Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Tired of Germany blocking many youtube videos? *Big Grin Windows VPN stopped working via wifi :D

P4-630, Jan 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows VPN stopped working via wifi - Similar Threads - VPN stopped working

2. Wifi and Vpn?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi and Vpn?: Don't know if this is the right forum but hear goes.I have spectrum internet and wifi.My two computers are hard wired to the wifi modem.My wife on the other hand is in her office working.She is on the bank site which requires her to go through there vpn.My question is could I...
  3. VPN and wifi

VPN and wifi: I use nordvpn and yourphone apps. When I am connected to my vpn I cannot connect to my phone. I disable vpn and it works until my vpn reumes and then nada https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vpn-and-wifi/33e343b1-6e8d-4352-baba-c0d00bb3f571
  4. VPN connection via internal client stopped working after 20H2 update

VPN connection via internal client stopped working after 20H2 update: I have a L2TP/IPSet with pre-shared key VPN connectionFoobarVPN that is configured via: Set-VpnConnectionIPsecConfiguration -ConnectionName "FoobarVPN" -EncryptionMethod AES256 -CipherTransformConstants AES256 -IntegrityCheckMethod SHA256 -PfsGroup ECP256 -DHGroup ECP256...
  5. Wifi not working when VPN disconnected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wifi not working when VPN disconnected: Hey Guys, I was using windscribe but whenever it is disconnected, my wifi wont work for some reason. I have tried uninstalling the software, resetting network settings via windows setting but no avail I also noticed that if I am connected to my 5Ghz wifi and VPN, It wont...
  6. Wifi disabled after connecting via VPN to another computer

Wifi disabled after connecting via VPN to another computer: Hi I do IT work on the side and I am working on a client's HP laptop running Windows 10 Pro Version10. 0.18362, Build 18362. I am using Zywall SecuExtender 4.0.3 software to connect to the office via VPN. When using WiFi to connect to local network the VPN connection is...
  7. VPN Wifi

VPN Wifi: hello, I can not get my laptop to connect to my WIFI. I have messeages poping up about the VPN. I have tried to redo the VPN but it keeps say 'Parameter is incorrect'. I have updated my computer and rest it multiple time. please help. thanks...
  8. Printer stopped working via WiFi

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer stopped working via WiFi: My printer Kodak Verite 50 worked well via wireless connection. But I changed the router id and password. After that my printer is not working via wifi. Please help me to resume wireless printing....
  9. VPN stopped working

VPN stopped working: Hello everyone! This is my very first post so I am sorry for any mistake. I have a bothering problem. My VPN, which I configured through the "Settings" page of Windows 10, stopped working. It happened already yesterday, then I restored the system to a previous point and...
  10. windows 10 update has stopped wifi working via my extender

windows 10 update has stopped wifi working via my extender: I have a HP beatsaudio laptop, it has just installed the windows 10 anniversary update, due to the location of my office I use a wireless extender since this update has installed I cannot get any internet connection via this, if I diagnose this it tells me the IP address is...