Windows 10: Windows vs linux?

Discus and support Windows vs linux? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello there, I know this is a very annoying question but is windows as much as possible administrable as Linux? Open vs closed source is something... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by soufianta, Sep 22, 2020.

1. soufianta Win User

Windows vs linux?

Hello there,

I know this is a very annoying question but is windows as much as possible administrable as Linux? Open vs closed source is something weird because most of the Linux users dont really care about the source code but be able to change something to the code can be useful (if you know what youre doing).

Desktop:

Windows has the most important amount of users comparing to Linux but it changes more and more. I grew with windows and its difficult to change habits but Im scaring about bloat, spying and hidden things in windows (what you dont have on arch Linux for example). Gaming is the thing that works out of the box instead of Linux (this seems to change to) and hardware support !!

Enterprise:

Most of corporations (and not small businesses due to expensive licensing) are using MS products. The charge of licences is huge (not for corporations) but everything works as expected and dont forget AD and exchange !! Paying a lot of money for MS products and avoid a lot of support time vs free products but a huge amount of time of support and troubleshooting is a big deal no??

Servers:

I see more and more Linux servers and less windows. I think that both are doing the job !

Software repositories:

Ive heard that MS FINALLY decided to create an official software repo (winget).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/package-manager/winget/

This is another thing that MS missed all these years but this is a huge point in my choice (ending downloading programs from whatever weird sites etc.).

What do you think about all these statements and is it worth it to switch to Linux (desktop)??

Thanks.

:)

soufianta, Sep 22, 2020
  2. Silverel Win User

Guide: How to enable, use, and configure SLI on Linux.

I guess the next logical step would be to report on the performance you can get with SLI in Linux. That'd be my suggestion anyway.

Silverel, Sep 22, 2020
  3. Switch to Linux ??

Find a suitable Linux forum and request comments from people who converted from Linux to Windows, in particular on

• Stability
    • Ease of use
    • Availability of external help in case of trouble
    • Availability of applications, games
    • Data exchange with the Windows world

Frederik Long, Sep 22, 2020
  4. Windows vs linux?

Windows Subsystem Linux

Hello,

We would like to know more about the issue you're experiencing with using
    Windows Subsystem for Linux
    . Kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you developing a program, an app, or a software for Linux?
    • Is your Window 10 PC connected to a domain?
    • Are you managing a Windows Server PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Can you tell us the Version and OS build of your Windows 10 device? You can find this information by clicking the
      Start button, type About your PC, and then press
      Enter.

We need the following information in order to determine if we need to refer your concern to the
    TechNet forums or the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) forums.

For now, we suggest reviewing these support articles to find out if there's an issue with the installation of
    Windows Subsystem for Linux:

We'll be waiting for your response.

Devlin Sco, Sep 22, 2020
Thema:

Windows vs linux?

1. Windows vs linux? - Similar Threads - linux

2. Thinkpad wifi works on Linux, but not on Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Thinkpad wifi works on Linux, but not on Windows: Hi, I just got a refurbished Thinkpad Yoga L13 Gen 4. It came with no os, so I installed linux on it, had 0 issues, but now that I want to try installing windows 10 or 11 normally, but whenever I get to the network screen, there are no networks I can connect to. So I tried...
  3. Thinkpad wifi works on Linux, but not on Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thinkpad wifi works on Linux, but not on Windows: Hi, I just got a refurbished Thinkpad Yoga L13 Gen 4. It came with no os, so I installed linux on it, had 0 issues, but now that I want to try installing windows 10 or 11 normally, but whenever I get to the network screen, there are no networks I can connect to. So I tried...
  4. Thinkpad wifi works on Linux, but not on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Linux not showing up in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linux not showing up in Windows Explorer: I was going to do my reanalysis for Hurricane Sandra of 1985 but I couldn't find Linux in Windows Explorer and that's where the data for the storm is located in can someone help....
  6. Linux not showing up in Windows Explorer

Linux not showing up in Windows Explorer: I was going to do my reanalysis for Hurricane Sandra of 1985 but I couldn't find Linux in Windows Explorer and that's where the data for the storm is located in can someone help....
  7. Has anyone else considered just using linux a mincrosoft alternative?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Has anyone else considered just using linux a mincrosoft alternative?: Linux is an amazing open source operating system and with more people migrating from microsoft to linux the linux apps and softwares will grow and we can leave microsofts **** **** behind....
  8. Has anyone else considered just using linux a mincrosoft alternative?

Has anyone else considered just using linux a mincrosoft alternative?: Linux is an amazing open source operating system and with more people migrating from microsoft to linux the linux apps and softwares will grow and we can leave microsofts **** **** behind....
  9. bonjour à tous ! j'ai un problème , j'ai déjà un compte linux avec WSL2 mais j'ai...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bonjour à tous ! j'ai un problème , j'ai déjà un compte linux avec WSL2 mais j'ai...: bonjour à tous ! j'ai un problème , j'ai déjà un compte linux avec WSL2 mais j'ai désinstaller l'application et je veux me reconnecter mais voilà ce qui s'affiche et j'ai aussi oublié mon mot de passe....
  10. bonjour à tous ! j'ai un problème , j'ai déjà un compte linux avec WSL2 mais j'ai...

bonjour à tous ! j'ai un problème , j'ai déjà un compte linux avec WSL2 mais j'ai...: bonjour à tous ! j'ai un problème , j'ai déjà un compte linux avec WSL2 mais j'ai désinstaller l'application et je veux me reconnecter mais voilà ce qui s'affiche et j'ai aussi oublié mon mot de passe....