Windows 10: Windows was unable to repair the drive – USB, SD Card or Hard Disk

Discus and support Windows was unable to repair the drive – USB, SD Card or Hard Disk in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you connect a USB, SD Card or Hard Disk to your Windows 10 PC and you see, and error box – Windows was unable to repair the drive,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 5, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

Windows was unable to repair the drive – USB, SD Card or Hard Disk

WinClub, May 5, 2019

2. Trouble with ejected SD card

Hi Mahnaz,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you to fix the issue.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have performed. Since it did not help, I recommend you to go to the Disk Management and check if the drive are detecting on the system.

Press Windows + R and type diskmgmt.msc on the box and hit
    Enter.

I also suggest you to connect the SD card in different system and check if it is working.

Lets’ try simple troubleshooting steps and check if that helps. I suggest you to connect the SD card to the system and run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk /f
    Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check.

Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, May 5, 2019
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Windows 10 recognizes my SD Card as a local drive

Jon,

I think you are saying that -

1 Disk management does not identify that SD card as removable, and

2 Device manager lists that SD card in its Disk drives entry but not in its
    Portable devices entry, and

3 Device manager, Disk drives, {SD card}, Properties, Volumes, Populate identifies that SD card Type as Basic [not as Removable].

I am rather astonished. I thought that this was going to turn into a Refresh issue. I have never heard of anything like your problem before.

I have a few suggestions for action followed by some advice about posting a new question on the topic in both this forum & TenForums [www.tenforums.com - auto-formatting is not working at the moment].

Suggestion 1 -

1.1 Go to Device manager and note the SD card
    reader Properties, Driver entry [my SD card reader is within the USB Controllers group but that does not mean yours is].

1.2 Go to the computer maker / SD card reader maker and get their latest Windows 10 driver for the SD card reader and install it.

1.3 Go to Device manager and note the new SD card reader Properties, Driver entry

Suggestion 2 - If you cannot do that then

2.1 Remove the SD card

2.2 If a zombie entry for the SD card remains in Device manager, Disk drives then delete it.

2.3 Go to Device manager and right-click, Uninstall the entry for the SD card reader [mine is within the USB Controllers group but that does not mean yours is].

2.4 Restart the computer straight away [merely to avoid any suspicion that observed symptoms might be left-overs from beforehand].

2.5 Windows will redetect the hardware as it starts. You can force it to by clicking on the Device manager toolbar's Scan for hardware changes icon but that really should not be necessary.

2.6 Go to Device manager and note the new SD card reader Properties, Driver entry

Suggestion 3 - If possible -

As Suggestion 2 but deliberately install the new driver at step 2.5 irrespective of what Windows has installed.

- - - - - - - - - - -

If these suggestions do not fix things then I think you need to post a new question on the subject. That will get you a better response than continuing with this current one.

Title - Device manager & Disk management show removable SD card as a fixed drive.

Description -

1 Disk management does not identify the SD card as removable, and

2 Device manager lists the SD card in its Disk drives entry but not in its
    Portable devices entry, and

3 Device manager, Disk drives, {SD card}, Properties, Volumes, Populate identifies the SD card Type as Basic [not as Removable].

4 [describe the effect of the problem - the contents of a previous SD card still being shown]

5 [describe the steps you have already taken to fix things - you can just cut and paste from this thread and then adjust verbiage]

- - - - - - - - - -

When you create your new questions, please paste links to them here so I can follow your progress.

Best of luck,

Denis

Tryx3, May 5, 2019
  4. Windows was unable to repair the drive – USB, SD Card or Hard Disk

Unable to connect USB Hard Drives to laptop

After having connected a
    Sisun HDD docking station
    to my Sony Laptop , Windows Explorer refuses to recognise any USB hard drive (although other software such as a disk utility can) and I am therefore unable to save files to these drives. Windows does recognise some USB pen drives
    but larger HDD are not recognised. To date, I have;

• Uninstalled the USB controllers through Device manager (forcing Windows to reinstall them on reboot); and
    • Run both the WinUSB and DeviceDiagnostic software to no avail.
    I'd rather not do a clean reinstall of Windows as I am unable to backup my files. Any other suggestions?

SteveAinsworth, May 5, 2019
Thema:

Windows was unable to repair the drive – USB, SD Card or Hard Disk

1. Windows was unable to repair the drive – USB, SD Card or Hard Disk - Similar Threads - was unable repair

2. Unable to Format SD Card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Format SD Card: Hello everyone, After scrounging the internet for the past two days and trying what I feel is almost everything I wanted to come here to ask for help. My micro SD card was acting up in my cell phone, so I decided to put it into my computer with its adapter, backup all my...
  3. SD CARD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD CARD: windows 10 (Fully up to date) not recognizing sd card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card/a0dfae36-dc2a-463c-970a-272e12aded20
  4. Unable to repair Windows 10 using USB drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to repair Windows 10 using USB drive: I tried to repair my installation of Windows 10 but could not do so. I even tried to recover my system but that also was of no use. I have dual boot in my lapotp. The ubuntu installation is booting normally, but windows is not booting up. Please help....
  5. Can't open external hard drive, SD-card

Can't open external hard drive, SD-card: Hi I try to connect external harddrive or sd-card, but I get an error message: If I try to press "fortsett"(continue) it tells me that I have no Access. I do not find the place to change Access rigts....
  6. SD Card

SD Card: When I insert the SD card into my computer it is not bring recognized. What am I doing wrong? Can someone please help me ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/sd-card/d62d2332-a102-4790-a460-1c908f2c9286
  7. USB/SD Card to Photo Gallery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB/SD Card to Photo Gallery: I import pictures from my sd card via a usb stick - when I insert the usb into the pc photo gallery launches and asks me what device I want to import from. On my pc the usb/sd card device is always f:/ (I always use the same port). Is there a way of telling win10 that when...
  8. Windows asks to format USB Drive when SD card is inserted

Windows asks to format USB Drive when SD card is inserted: I have SD card with Raspbian OS on it. When I insert the card using the card reader adapter, Windows asks me to format the E:\ drive, and it shows two different drives where it supposed to be just one (the boot with Raspbian OS on it). Recently it also shows the message:...
  9. USB & SD cards are not auto opening

USB & SD cards are not auto opening: Hi Forum, I have had issues with USB and SD cards not "auto" playing on my desktop HP Pavilion p6620f running Window10. This has been an issue for a long time, I've just been tolerating the situation. Any USB and any SD card shows up in My PC as do all the drives. Access...
  10. repair disc/device/sd/usb

in Windows 10 Support
    repair disc/device/sd/usb: brand spanking new installation - the FIRST driver I tried to load killed 10. will not get past the "we're collecting" screen now. is there a repair function buried somewhere in the install media that I am ignorant of? how to back out the driver or whatever fraction got...