Windows 10: Windows was unable to repair the drive – USB, SD Card or Hard Disk

Discus and support Windows was unable to repair the drive – USB, SD Card or Hard Disk in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you connect a USB, SD Card or Hard Disk to your Windows 10 PC and you see, and error box – Windows was unable to repair the drive,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 5, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

Windows was unable to repair the drive – USB, SD Card or Hard Disk

WinClub, May 5, 2019

2. Trouble with ejected SD card

Hi Mahnaz,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you to fix the issue.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have performed. Since it did not help, I recommend you to go to the Disk Management and check if the drive are detecting on the system.

Press Windows + R and type diskmgmt.msc on the box and hit
    Enter.

I also suggest you to connect the SD card in different system and check if it is working.

Lets’ try simple troubleshooting steps and check if that helps. I suggest you to connect the SD card to the system and run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

chkdsk /f
    Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check.

Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, May 5, 2019
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Windows 10 recognizes my SD Card as a local drive

Jon,

I think you are saying that -

1 Disk management does not identify that SD card as removable, and

2 Device manager lists that SD card in its Disk drives entry but not in its
    Portable devices entry, and

3 Device manager, Disk drives, {SD card}, Properties, Volumes, Populate identifies that SD card Type as Basic [not as Removable].

I am rather astonished. I thought that this was going to turn into a Refresh issue. I have never heard of anything like your problem before.

I have a few suggestions for action followed by some advice about posting a new question on the topic in both this forum & TenForums [www.tenforums.com - auto-formatting is not working at the moment].

Suggestion 1 -

1.1 Go to Device manager and note the SD card
    reader Properties, Driver entry [my SD card reader is within the USB Controllers group but that does not mean yours is].

1.2 Go to the computer maker / SD card reader maker and get their latest Windows 10 driver for the SD card reader and install it.

1.3 Go to Device manager and note the new SD card reader Properties, Driver entry

Suggestion 2 - If you cannot do that then

2.1 Remove the SD card

2.2 If a zombie entry for the SD card remains in Device manager, Disk drives then delete it.

2.3 Go to Device manager and right-click, Uninstall the entry for the SD card reader [mine is within the USB Controllers group but that does not mean yours is].

2.4 Restart the computer straight away [merely to avoid any suspicion that observed symptoms might be left-overs from beforehand].

2.5 Windows will redetect the hardware as it starts. You can force it to by clicking on the Device manager toolbar's Scan for hardware changes icon but that really should not be necessary.

2.6 Go to Device manager and note the new SD card reader Properties, Driver entry

Suggestion 3 - If possible -

As Suggestion 2 but deliberately install the new driver at step 2.5 irrespective of what Windows has installed.

- - - - - - - - - - -

If these suggestions do not fix things then I think you need to post a new question on the subject. That will get you a better response than continuing with this current one.

Title - Device manager & Disk management show removable SD card as a fixed drive.

Description -

1 Disk management does not identify the SD card as removable, and

2 Device manager lists the SD card in its Disk drives entry but not in its
    Portable devices entry, and

3 Device manager, Disk drives, {SD card}, Properties, Volumes, Populate identifies the SD card Type as Basic [not as Removable].

4 [describe the effect of the problem - the contents of a previous SD card still being shown]

5 [describe the steps you have already taken to fix things - you can just cut and paste from this thread and then adjust verbiage]

- - - - - - - - - -

When you create your new questions, please paste links to them here so I can follow your progress.

Best of luck,

Denis

Tryx3, May 5, 2019
  4. Windows was unable to repair the drive – USB, SD Card or Hard Disk

Unable to connect USB Hard Drives to laptop

After having connected a
    Sisun HDD docking station
    to my Sony Laptop , Windows Explorer refuses to recognise any USB hard drive (although other software such as a disk utility can) and I am therefore unable to save files to these drives. Windows does recognise some USB pen drives
    but larger HDD are not recognised. To date, I have;

• Uninstalled the USB controllers through Device manager (forcing Windows to reinstall them on reboot); and
    • Run both the WinUSB and DeviceDiagnostic software to no avail.
    I'd rather not do a clean reinstall of Windows as I am unable to backup my files. Any other suggestions?

SteveAinsworth, May 5, 2019
Thema:

Windows was unable to repair the drive – USB, SD Card or Hard Disk

1. Windows was unable to repair the drive – USB, SD Card or Hard Disk - Similar Threads - was unable repair

2. SD Card not recognized and unable to assign drive letter in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SD Card not recognized and unable to assign drive letter in Disk Management: I recently tried inserting an SD Card into my laptop Gigabyte Aorus 15G and the problem is that it does not get recognized by the file explorer but it does get recognized by the device manager and has the latest drivers. It has no drive letter assigned to it, so I tried...
  3. SD Card not recognized and unable to assign drive letter in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SD Card not recognized and unable to assign drive letter in Disk Management: I recently tried inserting an SD Card into my laptop Gigabyte Aorus 15G and the problem is that it does not get recognized by the file explorer but it does get recognized by the device manager and has the latest drivers. It has no drive letter assigned to it, so I tried...
  4. why is my sd card "type" a usb drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why is my sd card "type" a usb drive?: hello. my sd card that im using, in properties, says that in type is a "usb drive". im trying to change it back to sd card, but i cant figureout how. im using windows 11....
  5. External Drive USB SD Card Reader Not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive USB SD Card Reader Not working: I was merging files together on my SD card, and suddenly the drive stopped letting me interact with it in my file explorer. The drive now shows at having 0 bytes of space, and in the disk management application it says "no media." I have restarted my computer, and I still...
  6. SD card as a hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SD card as a hard drive: Hi! I recently bought this gateway pc from Walmart for 189 dollars. It was a steal! i had to get it. but only issue is storage. i was wondering if i can use this sd card as a main hard drive....
  7. unable to access SD Card/USB drive/CD Drive

unable to access SD Card/USB drive/CD Drive: Hi, I am unable to access any kind of external drives at all. On an HP laptop with Windows 10. In file explorer the error is "Location not available" E:\ is not available Access Denied I tried changing the owner to myself, then everyone, get the error "unable to set new...
  8. SD card Vs. Internal Hard Drive

SD card Vs. Internal Hard Drive: I don't have much space on my HP laptop, and I was recently told that I needed to buy a larger hard drive because there is barely enough space on my C disk for Windows 10 to run. However installing a hard drive seems much more complex than just getting an SD card. Both of...
  9. access to external drives e.g usb drive and sd card

access to external drives e.g usb drive and sd card: Hello, Since I have installed Windows ten, I am unable to access files from my usb drives or sd cards. Does anyone have a solution? thanks....
  10. Can't open external hard drive, SD-card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't open external hard drive, SD-card: Hi I try to connect external harddrive or sd-card, but I get an error message: If I try to press "fortsett"(continue) it tells me that I have no Access. I do not find the place to change Access rigts....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows was unable to repair the drive sd card

2. windows was unable to repair this drive usb