Windows 10: Windows will not boot after cloning to a new drive due to missing or corrupt Hal.dll file

Discus and support Windows will not boot after cloning to a new drive due to missing or corrupt Hal.dll file in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I recently bought a new SSD for my PC and I wanted to move my Windows 10 installation from my old HDD to this new SSD to speed up the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ASamp, Oct 20, 2020.

1. ASamp Win User

Windows will not boot after cloning to a new drive due to missing or corrupt Hal.dll file

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a new SSD for my PC and I wanted to move my Windows 10 installation from my old HDD to this new SSD to speed up the boot. I tried doing this by cloning the HDD to the SSD but nothing I do has been able to work. The problem is that every time I try to boot up from the new SSD, I get the error message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows root>\system32\hal.dll."

I have tried using multiple cloning software such as EaseUs Todo Backup and Seagate DiskWizard, I made sure both my drives were MBR partition style, and I changed the boot up disk from my BIOS to ensure I'm booting from the right disk. I tried removing the old HDD and leaving it in. Nothing seems to work. Am I doomed to have to do a clean install? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

:)

ASamp, Oct 20, 2020

2. dll missing

Hi Peter,

One of the reasons that may cause the missing DLL error are the files that was deleted due to a recent change on your device. For us to identify the root cause, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• When are you getting this error?
    • Have you made any recent changes on your device prior to your concern?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps that you've performed to resolve your concern?

Meanwhile, we recommend that you run the SFC scan tool found on this
    link
    as an initial step to replace missing DLL on your device.

We're looking forward to your response.

Darwin Dim, Oct 20, 2020
  3. David Haz Win User
    MSVCP100.dll and MSVCP100.dll missing

Hello,

May we know if you have made any software changes to your device prior to the missing DLL files?

As a first troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the System File Checker tool and see if it helps with the issue. System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted
    files. If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

To run the System File Checker tool, you may follow the steps below:

• Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, type
      Command Prompt or cmd, then right-click it, and click
      Run as administrator.
    • At the command prompt, type the following command, and press Enter:
      • sfc /scannow
    • After the process is finished, you may receive the results of the scan, if it found any corruptions within your device.

We look forward to an update from you.

Regards.

David Haz, Oct 20, 2020
  4. Windows will not boot after cloning to a new drive due to missing or corrupt Hal.dll file

missing DLL files

Hi Beverly,

One possible reason as to why you're encountering an error message stating that there are missing
    DLL files when launching Windows 10 games is due to corrupted game files. Let's isolate your concern by answering the following questions:

• What are the games affected?
    • Have you made any changes to your device before encountering this issue?
    • What is the make and model of your device?

Catherine Cus., Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

Windows will not boot after cloning to a new drive due to missing or corrupt Hal.dll file

1. Windows will not boot after cloning to a new drive due to missing or corrupt Hal.dll file - Similar Threads - boot cloning drive

2. Fix corrupted SSD clone boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix corrupted SSD clone boot drive: I recently purchased an SSD drive, and cloned by boot drive to it using the Acronis True Image for Crucial software. The cloning process completed, and I booted from the SSD drive. But the clone is corrupt. I can log in to Windows, but immediately after that I get a long...
  3. Fix corrupted SSD clone boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix corrupted SSD clone boot drive: I recently purchased an SSD drive, and cloned by boot drive to it using the Acronis True Image for Crucial software. The cloning process completed, and I booted from the SSD drive. But the clone is corrupt. I can log in to Windows, but immediately after that I get a long...
  4. Fix corrupted SSD clone boot drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd

Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located atwindir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offlinerepairs, details are included in the log file...
  6. Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located atwindir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offlinerepairs, details are included in the log file...
  7. Corrupt files after cloning hard drive to ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Missing/corrupt dll file msvcp140.dll

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Missing/corrupt dll file msvcp140.dll: Hello, I`ve never had any problems with dlls but now i cant start some games because i get dll errors. msvcp140.dll was missing. So i downloaded it and put it in the system32 folder but couldnt run the command regsvr32 msvcp140.dll. I`ve tried some other msvcp140.dlls but...
  9. Windows Errors after Cloning Drive - missing ole32.dll - Unable to restore

Windows Errors after Cloning Drive - missing ole32.dll - Unable to restore: Hi All, Hard Drive was failing, so I got a new hard drive and cloned it (1tb hdd to a new 2tb SSD). I used Mini Partition tool Wizard. Everything seemed to go well, until i deleted a few random partitions that were like 125mb (and empty) and then errors started to come...
  10. Missing files after switching to new drive for boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing files after switching to new drive for boot: So here is an interesting conundrum I'm curious if anyone can solve. Back at Xmas time I bought a new SSD, installed into my laptop and cloned my hard drive partition to it. I have been booting from the SSD since by manual changing the BOOT priority to boot from the...