Windows 10: Windows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD

Discus and support Windows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I was running Win 10 on my old HDDs. I have successfully installed Win 10 on a new SSD and I was able to boot Windows on it. At startup, Win10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by felipe-ca, Oct 29, 2019.

1. felipe-ca Win User

Windows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD

Hi,

I was running Win 10 on my old HDDs. I have successfully installed Win 10 on a new SSD and I was able to boot Windows on it. At startup, Win10 would prompt me if I wanted Win10 from Volume 1 (SSD) or from Volume 3 (old HDD).

I migrated all of my contents to the SSD and then I booted my PC and recreated the RAID on my HDDs (from 4HDs in 2x RAID0 to 4HDs in 1x RAID5).

Now my PC will not boot from the SSD (and it can't boot from the HDDs as there is nothing there anymore).

In the BIOs, I see the SSD configured as a boot sequence option. But after booting I have just a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

When I boot from my Win10 install DVD, I see the contents of my SSD on drive C:

I tried to run bootsect /nt60 c: and it was successful in setting the changes, but it failed to boot from the SSD after rebooting my PC.

My BIOS is currently configured for AHCI

My Hard Disk Drives in the Bios Boot Menu shows:

1st drive: IDE:S0 WDC WDS200T (SSD)

2nd drive: HDDWindows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD :p0-WDC SD1002F

3rd drive: HDDWindows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD :p1-WDC SD1002F

4th drive: HDDWindows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD :p3-WDC SD1002F
    5th drive: HDDWindows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD :p4-WDC SD1002F

I also:

- tried disabling drives 2-5
    - Setting SATA mode to RAID with drivers 2-5 enabled

- Setting SATA mode to IDE

I will now try to install windows 10 again on the HDDs (RAID) to see if I can somehow recover.

Anything else I could try?

Thanks,
    Felipe

:)

felipe-ca, Oct 29, 2019

2. reformat hdd

I am trying to reformat an old dell ispirion 5100 pata hdd with w7 from a new hp laptop using a usb adapter for the hdd. I can boot the hp to the w7 startup menu, but it doesn't give me the option of choosing the hdd connected with the usb adapter, it
    only lists the partitions on the hp internal hdd. Can I format this hdd with the hp computer using a usb adapter? The dvd I am using is an oem version that comes with its own product key that I purchased from eBay.

MarkFuller2, Oct 29, 2019
  3. reformat hdd

Windows 7 is not designed to be installed on an external hard drive connected by USB

Bill Smithers, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Trosk61 Win User

Windows 10 Dual Drive (HDD and SSD) Boot issue

Thanks for the timely response DaveM121. I did leave the old HDD in place while installing the SSD. Do I need to -re-install Windows 10 on the SSD, of can I skip this step?

Trosk61, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD - Similar Threads - boot SSD reformatting

2. Can I separate and move the boot partition from an old HDD to a smaller HDD or SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I separate and move the boot partition from an old HDD to a smaller HDD or SSD?: I have a 3TB HDD that I have been using for many years, and it is starting to slow down. is there any way I can move my boot data onto a smaller HDD or SSD and keep my current HDD as a storage drive? all the guides online are talking about moving from one drive to another of...
  3. Can I separate and move the boot partition from an old HDD to a smaller HDD or SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I separate and move the boot partition from an old HDD to a smaller HDD or SSD?: I have a 3TB HDD that I have been using for many years, and it is starting to slow down. is there any way I can move my boot data onto a smaller HDD or SSD and keep my current HDD as a storage drive? all the guides online are talking about moving from one drive to another of...
  4. Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD: Hi there!I succesfully installed Windows on my mSATA SSD UEFI. After updating and installing drivers, the only thing left to do was formatting the 1tb HDD, which I did using a format tool. I had completely deleted the HDD using the Windows partition manager just before...
  5. Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD: Hi there!I succesfully installed Windows on my mSATA SSD UEFI. After updating and installing drivers, the only thing left to do was formatting the 1tb HDD, which I did using a format tool. I had completely deleted the HDD using the Windows partition manager just before...
  6. Can't boot from SSD after formatting HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Trying to reformat old boot drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to reformat old boot drive: Running Win10 1909 64 bit. I replaced my old 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD. I'd like to format the old 1TB HDD and use it to replace my 640GB HDD "D" drive. So, I plugged in the old HDD and booted. Came up with a bluescreen that asked said I needed to go back to change the BIOS. The...
  8. New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary

in Windows 10 Support
    New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary: Greetings. I just built a new computer with an SSD boot drive and the boot HDD from the old computer as a second drive. Both drives have Win10-1803 on them, and each is bootable in the new PC. In the interest of conserving space on the SSD, I want to install programs on both...
  9. Getting an new SSD to boot after imaging it from an old SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Getting an new SSD to boot after imaging it from an old SSD: I bought a Samsung sm951 to replace my 840 Pro. The sm951 was installed in a PCI slot using an adapter which gave it 4 lanes for data usage. I imaged my 850 Pro SSD and then I restored the image to the sm951 SSD, but the computer would not boot from the new drive, saying that...
  10. SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD not booting Windows 10 after cloning from HDD.: I recently purchased a Sandisk 120GB SSD to use for running my OS from. I formatted the disk as normal then ran the EaseUS todo backup to clone the data. The cloning seemed to be successful as the SSD had all the data from the HDD including Windows 10. However when I try...