Windows 10: Windows will not format my hard drive says error has occurred and drive is damaged.

Discus and support Windows will not format my hard drive says error has occurred and drive is damaged. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I tried to partition and format the drive normally it’s a 5TB sea gate backup drive. I had it plugged in via a SATA connection inside the PC, when that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Badamorrison, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Windows will not format my hard drive says error has occurred and drive is damaged.

I tried to partition and format the drive normally it’s a 5TB sea gate backup drive. I had it plugged in via a SATA connection inside the PC, when that didn’t work I tried doing it through the command prompt which worked on my 1tb drive but not the 5TB. However if I plug the drive in via USB it functions normally. Does anyone know what’s going on?

submitted by /u/Badamorrison
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Badamorrison, Dec 4, 2020

2. CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

Hi Leenus,

Hard drive and other external memory storage can be corrupted on account of bad sectors which are no longer accessible or writable due to permanent damage. Your device or hard drive could also be infected by some type of malware. These are some of the possible
    causes why you are experiencing the error "ERROR 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". To address this concern, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

Check and repair disk errors or corrupted file system. This process can fix "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error caused by bad sectors, virus infection or file system corruption. To do so, follow these steps:

• Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Using Search, type CMD.
    • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f h: (h stands for your hard drive) and then hit the Enter key.
    • Delete the corrupted file and check if you'll experience the same error.

Method 2

Format the hard drive. You can manually format the hard drive to permanently remove "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error. These are the steps on how to format an external drive:

• Plug the hard drive into your computer.
    • Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Open File Explorer and then click This PC.
    • Click the external hard drive's name, click on Manage tab and then click on Format.
    • Click Start and then click OK.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Dec 4, 2020
  3. How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Dec 4, 2020
  4. Zalmann Win User

Windows will not format my hard drive says error has occurred and drive is damaged.

Hard Drive formatting

What the fuck are you on about mate? Why don't you say why not??

Zalmann, Dec 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows will not format my hard drive says error has occurred and drive is damaged.

1. Windows will not format my hard drive says error has occurred and drive is damaged. - Similar Threads - format hard drive

2. Hard Drive Corrupt or Damaged + Locked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive Corrupt or Damaged + Locked: Summary: my previous Windows 11 drive ADATA SSD "crashed". I was not able to restore or recover Windows on that drive. I bought a new drive Samsung SSD and installed Windows on it. I want to access my Documents on ADATA SSD. But the drive is locked.It seems that the drive is...
  3. Hard drive damaged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive damaged: I'm not able to partition my disk inspite of repeated trials. Is it possible my HDD is damaged? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-damaged/489371b3-6aec-4830-9211-a9b21bf4c79c
  4. Is my hard drive damaged?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my hard drive damaged?: [ATTACH] So I have several related questions on my profile and if you don't have an answer to this question the other questions will certainly help you to understand. So it is best to have a look. Now to the question should my hard disk really be damaged what else can I...
  5. Formating a hard drive.

Formating a hard drive.: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  6. Formating Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formating Hard Drives: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  7. Format hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Format hard drive: I cannot do updates because I am out of disk space but I cannot figure out how to free up disk space. I've deleted all unneeded program files and want to just reformat the hard drive. The option to reformat is grayed out, however. Sometimes the laptop will give me a gray...
  8. formatting a hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    formatting a hard drive: does anyone know how to format a hard drive to load and run windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-hard-drive/398827f9-3683-4e2c-a621-a32071e1d680
  9. Is my internal hard drive damaged?

Is my internal hard drive damaged?: I have a 1tb internal hard drive from an old laptop that i have not used. But might have stored very little if any. I put it in an enclosure and connected it via usb to my chromebook. When i did this, i noticed it showed the files etc. But because im not that familiar with...
  10. Error check drive has damaged my Windows Instalation

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Error check drive has damaged my Windows Instalation: Hello Guys, Just when I was happy with my installation I error checked my main C: drive with is a Samsung SSD, Windows reported that it had found some errors and it needed to be rebooted to correct them. I rebooted the PC and the check disk did it's repairs and it booted...