Windows 10: Windows will not remember icons position after PC restart...

Discus and support Windows will not remember icons position after PC restart... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; as in subject. I reset my pc and icons keep piling up on all monitors they way they want.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by windows10sucksballs, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Windows will not remember icons position after PC restart...

as in subject. I reset my pc and icons keep piling up on all monitors they way they want.

:)

windows10sucksballs, Feb 27, 2020
  2. TheRene Win User

Desktop Icons - Problem remembering icon positioning + random sorting

Hi all,

I have a small issue where every once in a while my desktop icons would not remember their previous position, and I had to sort them again. This problem still occurs, but now I can even reproduce the issue 100% by moving 1 set icon to a new position that will cause all icons to become unsorted.

Here is a clip showing part of the issue:

I want to mention that I run a 3 monitor setup, and the desktop icons in on the second (non primary) monitor.

Anyone have any suggestions how to solve this, or does Windows need to patch it?

Cheers

TheRene, Feb 27, 2020
  3. MesPia Win User
    Nice if Start screen "remembered" its position

This is not really a problem to be solved now, but a suggestion to Microsoft for a future update or version of Windows.

It would be nice if the Start screen remembered its position. For example, if I open the Start screen and scroll down to those applications that start with the letter "W", the next time I open the Start screen, it reverts back to displaying the top of the
    list. It would be nice if it "remembered" I was on "W" and opened at that position.

MesPia, Feb 27, 2020
  4. Argel Obm Win User

Windows will not remember icons position after PC restart...

How to prevent desktop icons from changing positions

Hi Stephen,

There are various reasons why you're experiencing the issue. Let us isolate your concern by enabling the
    Auto arrange icons option, and then disabling it to see if the issue will persist. To do this follow these steps:

• Go to the Desktop screen, and then right click anywhere.
    • Hover your mouse on View.
    • Select Auto arrange icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if your Desktop icons are still in the right position after clicking the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • If your Desktop icons are in the right position, repeat steps 1-3 to disable the
      Auto arrange icons option.
    • Customize the position of your Desktop icons.
    • Restart the computer.
    • After restarting the computer, check if the issue will occur.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows will not remember icons position after PC restart...

1. Windows will not remember icons position after PC restart... - Similar Threads - remember icons position

2. RDP doesnt remember window position

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP doesnt remember window position: RDP app is resetting its position randomly everytime I maximize to full screen and then restore down. Even when you snap the RDP window to a position, for instance the left half of the screen, when you maximize and then restore down, the window's bottom border is off the...
  3. RDP doesnt remember window position

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RDP doesnt remember window position: RDP app is resetting its position randomly everytime I maximize to full screen and then restore down. Even when you snap the RDP window to a position, for instance the left half of the screen, when you maximize and then restore down, the window's bottom border is off the...
  4. RDP doesnt remember window position

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Some desktop icons not retaining their positions after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some desktop icons not retaining their positions after restart: I'm in the middle of doing a few updates and troubleshooting steps for a couple unrelated issues, and this has cropped up in the process of doing so; whenever I restart my computer now, the icons on my desktop are always in the same location. See that smoothies.txt popped out...
  6. Desktop Icons not saving position after restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icons not saving position after restart: Whenever I try to position my desktop icons the way I would like, after a restart the icons go back to some strange position. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? submitted by /u/Traase [link] [comments]...
  7. windows 10 will not remember window positions after pc restart...

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 will not remember window positions after pc restart...: windows 10 after restart will randomly put windows when they start... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-will-not-remember-window-positions/3c370ff5-1cbc-467d-aa04-d16c1700a5a6
  8. Desktop Icons - Problem remembering icon positioning + random sorting

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons - Problem remembering icon positioning + random sorting: Hi all, I have a small issue where every once in a while my desktop icons would not remember their previous position, and I had to sort them again. This problem still occurs, but now I can even reproduce the issue 100% by moving 1 set icon to a new position that will cause...
  9. Remember window position?

in Windows 10 Support
    Remember window position?: In every version of Windows 10 I have used, including the most recent official build (and unlike every previous Windows including XP, Vista, 7, 8, etc...) my window positions on the desktop are not remembered (sticky) each time I close the window. Meaning that each time I...
  10. Desktop Icons Not Remembered on Restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Icons Not Remembered on Restart: I keep several folders on my desktop. I find the icon settings for the icons in those folders are not remembered when the PC reboots. For example, I like to set medium size icons but I find the details view is set after a reboot. I'm sure this used to work fine before the...