Windows 10: windows will not shut down on lock screen whene phisical power button is pressed

Discus and support windows will not shut down on lock screen whene phisical power button is pressed in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; when trying to shut off it says other users are working on the pc but there is one user that is logged out even after a restart whene logged in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by איתי-צימט, Feb 21, 2021.

1. windows will not shut down on lock screen whene phisical power button is pressed

when trying to shut off it says other users are working on the pc but there is one user that is logged out even after a restart

whene logged in the power button works fine but when logged out it dosent

please help

:)

איתי-צימט, Feb 21, 2021
  2. kwinner43 Win User

Power button no longer locks screen

Originally,when i purchased my Surface pro 4 a few days ago, pressing the power button once would lock my screen. However, pressing it once now brings up the shut down screen. Are there any suggestions to fix this? Changing what the power button does in
    settings doesn't help.

kwinner43, Feb 21, 2021
  3. SSShadii Win User
    Shutdown using power button from lock screen

My problem is that Windows will not shut the computer down when you press the power button (physical button on the computer, not the button on the log in screen) at the lock screen or log in screen.

Is there a setting or registry I have to change to allow this to function correctly? Basically I have set the computer to turn off when I push the button on the computer in Windows settings, but it doesn't respond when you press it at the lock (or login) screen.
    Thanks for your help.

SSShadii, Feb 21, 2021
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

windows will not shut down on lock screen whene phisical power button is pressed

Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to turn off computer at the Welcome screen using the power button.

Ideally, if no user has logged in to the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, I would suggest you to check the settings for power button. Refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Power Options.
    2. Click on Additional power settings.
    3. Now, click on Choose what power button does from the left pane.
    4. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    5. Select Shut down from the drop down for
      When I press the power button.

If you are using Windows 10 Pro, you may also want to check the Group Policy Settings, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Power Management\Button Settings.
    4. On the right pane, double click on Select the Power button action (plugged in), click on
      Enabled and select Shutdown from the drop down for
      Power Button Action.
    5. Repeat step 4 for Select the Power button action (on battery).
    6. Restart the computer.

If a user has logged in to the computer and then logs off from the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, if a user is logged in to the computer and locks the computer using the
    Windows key + L combination, the power button will not shutdown the computer. You will have to use the power button on the lock screen to shut down the computer.

If you do not see the shutdown button, please refer the article Shutdown:
    Allow system to be shut down without having to log on

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to provide a feedback in the
    Feedback Hub. The Feedback hub lets you tell Microsoft
    about any problems you run in to while using Windows 10 and send suggestions to help us improve your Windows experience.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 21, 2021
Thema:

windows will not shut down on lock screen whene phisical power button is pressed

1. windows will not shut down on lock screen whene phisical power button is pressed - Similar Threads - shut down lock

2. Lock screen loop on button press

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock screen loop on button press: One day I turned on a Windows 11 laptop and it was able to boot normally and display the lock screen.The problem is, in the lock screen when I press a button, it will not display the enter password prompt and instead loops back to the initial lock screen with the clock and...
  3. Shut Down button locks PC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shut Down button locks PC: I have a Windows 10 PC that I have been using for a few years. A few days ago, I tried to shut down my PC by clicking on Shut Down in the start menu.It went to the lock screen instead. Even the Power button on my CPU locks the PC for some reason.I have already set "Choose...
  4. Shut Down button locks PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut Down button locks PC: I have a Windows 10 PC that I have been using for a few years. A few days ago, I tried to shut down my PC by clicking on Shut Down in the start menu.It went to the lock screen instead. Even the Power button on my CPU locks the PC for some reason.I have already set "Choose...
  5. Shut Down button locks PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows shut down and restart automatically when I press power button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows shut down and restart automatically when I press power button: When I press power on button in my laptop, It start for 1 second and accidentally shutting down giving a sound in laptop and it restart automatically within 2-3 seconds. After that laptop operates normally.My laptop still used only 1 month. Windows is installed on SSD. But...
  7. Power Button keep shutting down PC

Power Button keep shutting down PC: It is already set as Do nothing in the Power and sleep button settings, but whenever I accidentally or intentionally try to press the power button, the PC force close all windows and program and then turn to blue shutdown screen and shutdown. I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64...
  8. Power then Shut down Buttons

Power then Shut down Buttons: My choices were: " Power" then "Sleep Shut Down and Restrart." They are now: "Power",then Sleep Update and Shut Down and Update and Restart When I click on "Update and Shut Down", the machine goes back into Restart at once and then takes a long period of time after...
  9. Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.: Is there any problems using the 'power-button' on the tower vs. using the 'Shut Down' button on screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-off-button-vs-shut-down-button-on-screen/b9c98a3c-b0d5-4436-8acd-39788bab7209
  10. Computer does not shut down when I press the power button

Computer does not shut down when I press the power button: Hey So I have set the options to shut down when I press the power button from power option, system settings but when I press the power button, nothing happens. Can anyone give me a solution to this?...