Windows 10: Windows will not update, always says undoing changes.

Discus and support Windows will not update, always says undoing changes. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; For the past year my laptop keeps getting this error where windows refuses to update and the updates keep failing. I get the message Windows couldn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ShreyashPatel, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Windows will not update, always says undoing changes.

For the past year my laptop keeps getting this error where windows refuses to update and the updates keep failing. I get the message Windows couldn't complete update, Undoing changes.

My windows is on an SSD and the rest of my stuff is on my hard drive. This issue started when I first installed my SSD. I thought I did something wrong so I did a clean install of windows and everything worked but in a few months the computer kept failing again. This is a cycle as I have clean installed windows 3 times at this point and every time I do the laptop updates perfectly fine for the next few months before the issue starts up again. I'm tired of having to clean install every few months so I want to fix it. The only updates that do install are the windows defender updates. Everything else fails.

I have tried to clear the windows update folder multiple times, deleted the folder, and used command prompt to stop and restart the windows update service. None of these work and the only solution seems to be a clean install. How can I fix this? Windows will not update, always says undoing changes. 87db5cf4-fa8d-4f55-959e-0d9d3129ce54?upload=true.png

:)

ShreyashPatel, Apr 14, 2020
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 14, 2020
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 14, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Windows will not update, always says undoing changes.

Window Update Undoing changes made to your computer issue

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, pleas reply with the details requested below:

• Do you receive any error message after Windows update?
    • May I know after which update do you see this message?
    • When you say, “this message appear about half and hour" does the computer boot to the desktop?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

If the computer doesn’t boot to the Desktop, I would suggest you to refer the suggestions provided by DaveM121 replied on April 7, 2019 in the thread

'Undoing changes made to your computer' in Windows 10

If you are able to boot the computer to the Desktop, I would suggest you to run the

Windows Update Troubleshooter
    and see if that helps.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to reset Windows Update components. Kindly refer the article by Sumit on

How to:Reset Windows update components in Windows

You may also want to refer the steps mentioned in the article
    Troubleshoot problems updating Windows 10

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost. Also, the last step in the article
    talks about Clean installation, please do not perform a clean installation of Windows.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows will not update, always says undoing changes.

1. Windows will not update, always says undoing changes. - Similar Threads - update always says

2. Windows not completing the update, always undoing the changes.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows not completing the update, always undoing the changes.: Hi..Few months ago when my windows 10 dell inspiron 15 3573 laptop is automatically updating, it is suddenly stop that and show the message "We couldn't complete the update. undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer." And this problem still happening to me four-five times...
  3. Windows not completing the update, always undoing the changes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not completing the update, always undoing the changes.: Hi..Few months ago when my windows 10 dell inspiron 15 3573 laptop is automatically updating, it is suddenly stop that and show the message "We couldn't complete the update. undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer." And this problem still happening to me four-five times...
  4. Windows not completing the update, always undoing the changes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Undoing changes in this update

Undoing changes in this update: 22H2 update is not installing successfully after restart it will says undoing changes. I need to finish this now and I want to do stuff on this PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/undoing-changes-in-this-update/2838c356-b454-4223-ae2b-f2c90b54ae58
  6. windows update undoing changes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows update undoing changes: Hi folks. I know you can help me with my update issue. It will download and after restart it will says undoing changes. Please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-undoing-changes/864b016a-8b8b-4d27-a0e8-a31c2ea04299
  7. windows update undoing changes

windows update undoing changes: Hi folks. I know you can help me with my update issue. It will download and after restart it will says undoing changes. Please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-undoing-changes/864b016a-8b8b-4d27-a0e8-a31c2ea04299
  8. windows update undoing changes

9. pc is not resetting, it is saying undoing changes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    pc is not resetting, it is saying undoing changes: My pc is not resetting. It is saying this can't be reset https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-is-not-resetting-it-is-saying-undoing-changes/9f11bafa-d446-4dad-b907-f0639eb4583c
  10. Windows 10 2004 update always fails after 70% installation saying "Undoing changes made to...

Windows 10 2004 update always fails after 70% installation saying "Undoing changes made to...: Hi guys, I have an Acer Aspire E5-575G-50ZZ laptop, I have created a dual boot between Windows 10 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04.01. Everyy update on Windows 10 1909 even cumulative updates installs fine and fast. But, when I got Microsoft Windows 2004 update from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows couldnt update undoing changes