Windows 10: Windows with surround 5.1 speaker setup: Subwoofer is dead most of the time

Discus and support Windows with surround 5.1 speaker setup: Subwoofer is dead most of the time in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Every year or so, I try to get my home theatre 5.1 sound system to play back decent stereo sources with my Windows 10 PC. It worked well with previous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by thomiel, Feb 24, 2019.

1. thomiel Win User

Windows with surround 5.1 speaker setup: Subwoofer is dead most of the time

Every year or so, I try to get my home theatre 5.1 sound system to play back decent stereo sources with my Windows 10 PC. It worked well with previous Windows versions, so there must be a way somehow. I just tried with three different soundcards: A Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Audio, a Soundblaster Audigy ZS2, and the onboard Realtek (analog as well as optical with an external decoder attached). And again I did not succeed.

The X-Fi's Stereo-Expand and the Speaker Fill enhancement of the Realtek driver work well for the rear speakers. But bass management just won't work. The only way for me to revive the subwoofer is to play a test sound of the soundcards configuration or use a genuine ac3 or dts source.

While searching the web for a solution, I found rumors aboun Microsoft not capable or not willing to allow normal use of a 5.1 home theatre systems with Windows 10, because they want to sell Dolby Atmos, but I can't believe this is true. There must be a straight way to save me from the thin sound of the four sattelites and I'm just not able to see the obvious. Please help me!

:)

thomiel, Feb 24, 2019

2. Speaker works when plugged into computer but not subwoofer

Hi,

To further isolate your concern, we'd just like to clarify the following information:

• Have you tried using the Subwoofer with different speakers?
    • Have you tried plugging the speakers and the Subwoofer on different laptop or PC?

Looking forward for any information that you may provide.

Antoneth Ber, Feb 24, 2019
  3. halfgeek Win User
    Subwoofer for my definitive tech setup

Hi fellow audophiles, need some suggestions on my setup in a townhouse with living and dining rooms together 25 x 21.

I bought a Yamaha RX-V677 7.2-Channel Receiver + Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 5.1 Speakers for $600 without subwoofer from Newegg couple of weeks back. I only use it with my HTPC running Windows 8 Pro, Biostar Motherboard (TZ77XE3) with a GIGABYTE GV-R645-1GI Radeon HD 6450, i5-3570K, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 6 TB data. Connected using HDMI ( video card )from HTPC to Receiver.

The sound quality is not satisfactory. Is it because of missing subwoofer or definitive speakers or no audio card. Ready to invest to upgrade.

1) Please advise on subwoofer - thinking about getting SVS SB 2000 or 1000 from their outlet or BIC.
    2) Can any generic wall mounts work for definitive speakers
    3) Are there any recommended changes to be done on HTPC.
    5) Shall i get bookself type front speakers and make it 7.1

halfgeek, Feb 24, 2019
  4. Windows with surround 5.1 speaker setup: Subwoofer is dead most of the time

5.1 surround Center and subwoofer speaker not working Windows 10

Hello,

Recently purchased Logitech Z506 speakers. Connected to Asus x99 usb 3.1 MB. Center and sub woofer act as one speaker, center speaker doesn't play at all. After reading several forums, including here, I took the following steps:

1. Reinstalled Realtek driver for Asus from Asus website. v6.0.1.8036

2. Ran Windows Trouble shooter - Worthless!

3. Switched speakers to Windows 7 machine. Speakers worked fine in 5.1 surround, all speakers functioned.

4. Put generic speakers, powered via USB just to test ALL jacks. All jacks work. (Orange, Green and Black)

5. Decided it must be defective speakers, but on a whim plugged them back in.

a. I have no idea why, but everything worked!

6. Put in a DVD, downloaded a generic player. Set sound in player to Windows managed.

a. Played out of left and right speakers only.

7. Exited the movie.

8. Windows notifications started showing up. Sorry I missed the exact wording "Default driver for *.mp4 error reset to windows (Or something like that". There were several like that for various file types, but all media related.

9. Now it is doing the same thing. Center speaker can be heard out of sub woofer in test.

10. One of the forums' suggested inserting additional inputs. So I plugged in a Mic and a line in (Out of my phone).

a. Mic worked ok, not great, but it isn't a great microphone.

b. Line in out of my phone could be heard through my sub woofer. So now I am really confused.

11. Last effort was to install RealTek Driver off of RealTek website vR2.81 that was released 1/13/17.

I installed Cyberlink DVD16 to play DVDs and I get sound out of sub woofer, R and L speakers and Rear Speakers. No center speaker.

I would appreciate any thoughts at all. This is my first Windows 10 gaming machine.

Thanks in advance!

mjduffy1217, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

Windows with surround 5.1 speaker setup: Subwoofer is dead most of the time

1. Windows with surround 5.1 speaker setup: Subwoofer is dead most of the time - Similar Threads - surround speaker setup

2. Windows 10 generates distorted surround sound at the SUBWOOFER output

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 generates distorted surround sound at the SUBWOOFER output: Windows 10 generates distorted surround sound at the SUBWOOFER output.In the Sound settings -> Speakers -> Properties -> Levels -> Balance -> "Sub" I have to set the level to 0 while the other channels L R C LS RS have a max value, i.e. 100 to get rid of distortions on the...
  3. Windows 10 generates distorted surround sound at the SUBWOOFER output

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 generates distorted surround sound at the SUBWOOFER output: Windows 10 generates distorted surround sound at the SUBWOOFER output.In the Sound settings -> Speakers -> Properties -> Levels -> Balance -> "Sub" I have to set the level to 0 while the other channels L R C LS RS have a max value, i.e. 100 to get rid of distortions on the...
  4. Windows 10 generates distorted surround sound at the SUBWOOFER output

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup

Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup: Hi! I'm setting up my first studio 5.1 surround system, but can't get Windows 10 to recognize a surround configuration.In the Windows Speaker setup, I only see options for Mono and Stereo.My soundcard is a Motu 828es. In my Motu settings, Monitor A is set to Analog 1-6 5.1...
  6. Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup

Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup: Hi! I'm setting up my first studio 5.1 surround system, but can't get Windows 10 to recognize a surround configuration.In the Windows Speaker setup, I only see options for Mono and Stereo.My soundcard is a Motu 828es. In my Motu settings, Monitor A is set to Analog 1-6 5.1...
  7. Don't have 5.1 surround configuration in Speaker Setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10

Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10: For my audio setup on my PC I use headphones plugged into a PS5 controller, which is plugged into the computer. The problem is that certain audio channels go through the speakers on the controller, and I can't find any way to disable them. After looking through settings a...
  9. Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10: For my audio setup on my PC I use headphones plugged into a PS5 controller, which is plugged into the computer. The problem is that certain audio channels go through the speakers on the controller, and I can't find any way to disable them. After looking through settings a...
  10. Disable certain speakers in surround sound setup in Windows 10