Windows 10: Windows won't activate after a hardware change with digital licence linked to account

Discus and support Windows won't activate after a hardware change with digital licence linked to account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently made a hardware change to my PC, after which Windows says no product key was found on my device Error code: 0xC004F213. Before I changed my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Abigail19, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Abigail19 Win User

Windows won't activate after a hardware change with digital licence linked to account

I recently made a hardware change to my PC, after which Windows says no product key was found on my device Error code: 0xC004F213. Before I changed my hardware I ensured my digital licence was linked to my Microsoft account, troubleshooting doesn't provide the option to say I changed my hardware. Any help would be appreciated!

:)

Abigail19, Sep 17, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Is Digital activation tied to a microsoft account as well as hardware?

It's optional. If you only ever signed in with a local account then it will just say 'activated with a digital licence' and it will just be tied to your hardware, but you can link the digital licence to your Microsoft account. In fact, this is recommended practice if you intend to upgrade the motherboard and run the activation troubleshooter afterwards if it doesn't activate. See these tutorials...

Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License

Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10

3. doveman Win User
    Licence not linked to Microsoft Account

I got my Mum a new PC to replace her current one as it's been having some hardware issues. I changed her from a local account login to using her outlook.com account and that's fine but it doesn't seem to have linked her licence with her MS account, as when I login with her outlook.com account on the new PC it's not activated. Selecting "Troubleshoot" returns "We weren't able to activate Windows on this devices" and clicking "I recently changed hardware on this device" returns "We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used to reactivate the device that you’re using at the moment. Make sure that you’re signed in with the same Microsoft account that you linked to the Windows 10 digital licence on this device, or try again later. "

Her old PC was upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 and it says "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft Account". At https://account.microsoft.com it shows two devices, her old PC with Windows 10 Pro v1903 and her new one with Windows 10 Pro v1909 and neither say activated but maybe it's not meant to say that there?

So what do I need to do to get Windows on her new PC activated?

doveman, Sep 17, 2020
  4. cereberus Win User

Windows won't activate after a hardware change with digital licence linked to account

Linking digital licences to MS Account.

You are missing the point - I have two valid digital licences - one for home, and one for pro (retail originals as well) on same PC as dual boot, but it seems you can only link the last one to your MS account i.e. each time you link one, it removes the previous link.

So if I had a mobo failure, I would only be able to reactivate one of the licences as far as I can tell.

cereberus, Sep 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows won't activate after a hardware change with digital licence linked to account - Similar Threads - won't activate hardware

2. "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account": Hi! I want to get a new SSD and was wondering if my edition of windows 11 would transfer to the new SSD if i download windows 11 and log into Microsoft on it. If not i would like to know if there is any way i could transfer my edition of windows 11 to a new SSD....
  3. "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account": Hi! I want to get a new SSD and was wondering if my edition of windows 11 would transfer to the new SSD if i download windows 11 and log into Microsoft on it. If not i would like to know if there is any way i could transfer my edition of windows 11 to a new SSD....
  4. how to activate a digital licence after changing the hardware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how to activate a digital licence after changing the hardware: i've been attempting to get my digital licence to work on my new computer but isn't working, tried using the slmgr commands and still dont have success, tried to uninstall from the original device and now isn't even showing on the troubleshoot...
  5. how to activate a digital licence after changing the hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to activate a digital licence after changing the hardware: i've been attempting to get my digital licence to work on my new computer but isn't working, tried using the slmgr commands and still dont have success, tried to uninstall from the original device and now isn't even showing on the troubleshoot...
  6. how to activate a digital licence after changing the hardware

7. Digital licence and hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital licence and hardware change: Hi,I have made hardware changes and reinstalled windows. I accidentally removed the previous build/PC from my devices in my microsoft account. Now I cannot activate the new build. How can I fix this?Nic...
  8. Digital licence and hardware change

Digital licence and hardware change: Hi,I have made hardware changes and reinstalled windows. I accidentally removed the previous build/PC from my devices in my microsoft account. Now I cannot activate the new build. How can I fix this?Nic...
  9. Digital licence and hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Digital licence activation post hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital licence activation post hardware change: I switched out my hardware on a pc with a digital license and now it wont activate, the old device is still registered in my account devices. also the help is completely useless once I get to the talk to someone section as it refuses to accept my contact number which is...