Windows 10: Windows won't boot after changing regedit

Discus and support Windows won't boot after changing regedit in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was following a simple guide on how to make shortcut arrows disappear using regedit. I followed what it said and restarted my computer. The PC was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by treeroy, Dec 19, 2016.

1. treeroy Win User

Windows won't boot after changing regedit

I was following a simple guide on how to make shortcut arrows disappear using regedit. I followed what it said and restarted my computer. The PC was turning itself off and on and off and on. I cut the power and restarted it - the PC is staying on but windows will not boot! I just have a black screen.

What do I do?! Please help *Sad

edit: I cannot access the BIOS either by the way. I havent been able to access my BIOS for a long time, I don't get any start screen I just get a black screen.

:)

treeroy, Dec 19, 2016

2. Windows 10 slow boot up

My laptop had the slow boot problem. This answer fixed the problem, with slight variation. I marked all instances of "EnableULPS" with "0" Booting from hibernation only takes 16 seconds, down from over two minutes. I won't order that expensive SSD, I
    don't need it.

Albert LaMancha, Dec 19, 2016
  3. First_Jon Win User
    Computer not working properly after changing some registry values

Hey guys,

I am new here, please go light on me.

Last night I was trying to change my default drive from my C:\ to my other drive A:\.

To change it, I configured the following regedit line: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion. After the next boot, I coulnd't use half of my programs, and even regedit and
    system restore won't work.

I tried to use ''Last known configuration'' but that dind't work out.

Does anybody know how I can fix this? Is there a way to change the regedit configuration?

I got my w10 through a free version for students, and I am already making an bootable CD for w10. But I don't know if I will be able to restore it through a new usb stick.

PS

I did found this topic, but I coulnd't figure out what to do: Changed something wrong in Regedit (Windows\CurrentVersion) now Regedit and a bunch of other programs won't start.

First_Jon, Dec 19, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

You need to boot off of a Windows 10 DVD or USB to do a repair install.

bro67, Dec 19, 2016
  5. Samuria Win User
    Before messing with the registry you always save the key first so you can role back dont suppose you saved it do you know what you changed?

Samuria, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows won't boot after changing regedit - Similar Threads - won't boot changing

2. Won't boot after changing number of processors in msconfig

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Won't boot after changing number of processors in msconfig: So I changed number of processors in msconfig from 8 to 1 with an i7 3770 so I rebooted now I just get the blue recovery screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wont-boot-after-changing-number-of-processors-in/7edb604a-29de-4048-82d5-48f55f852344
  3. Won't boot after changing number of processors in msconfig

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Won't boot after changing number of processors in msconfig: So I changed number of processors in msconfig from 8 to 1 with an i7 3770 so I rebooted now I just get the blue recovery screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wont-boot-after-changing-number-of-processors-in/7edb604a-29de-4048-82d5-48f55f852344
  4. Won't boot after changing number of processors in msconfig

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. [WIN 11] Secure Boot enabled but msinfo shows "OFF", changing regedit won't help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [WIN 11] Secure Boot enabled but msinfo shows "OFF", changing regedit won't help: Hi,Updated to Windows 11 yesterday.Did the tpm 2.0 change, enabled Secure Boot in BIOS, everything went fine.Tried running a game Fifa 23 if someone is asking. Got "secure boot is not enabled on this machine" error.I check msinfo - BIOS Mode: UEFI, Secure Boot State: OFF.Did...
  6. [WIN 11] Secure Boot enabled but msinfo shows "OFF", changing regedit won't help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    [WIN 11] Secure Boot enabled but msinfo shows "OFF", changing regedit won't help: Hi,Updated to Windows 11 yesterday.Did the tpm 2.0 change, enabled Secure Boot in BIOS, everything went fine.Tried running a game Fifa 23 if someone is asking. Got "secure boot is not enabled on this machine" error.I check msinfo - BIOS Mode: UEFI, Secure Boot State: OFF.Did...
  7. Windows won't boot due to boot setting changes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows won't boot due to boot setting changes: I noticed an issue recently where not all of my ram was being detected by windows 10. I did what microsoft support website told me to do and in boot advanced settings changed the maximum memory to how much ram I have. After doing that and restarting the pc I got a screen...
  8. EnableSuperfetch=0 won't stick after using Regedit

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    EnableSuperfetch=0 won't stick after using Regedit: Hello. First of all, I don't want to start a flame war or something about "why would anyone want to disable Superfetch" and such. As gamer I like to run Windows with Superfetch off. It's just a subjective matter of taste. Anyway back on topic: Up to Win8.1 I could edit...
  9. regedit changes

in Windows 10 Support
    regedit changes: Made a change in HKLM, so that my numloc keys worked on start-up, previous version. Upgraded via update to 10166, Be advised for this change to become effective had to restart comp again. I know its SOP for reg changes but, on an upgrade. SO if you've made any changes...
  10. Z87 Sabertooth won't boot after case change

in Windows 10 Support
    Z87 Sabertooth won't boot after case change: Moved Motherboard to new case (no boot) Probably shorting to case Removed from case and connected: 24 pin +8pincpu cables (booted) so placed back in case (no boot) Removed from case and started to get intermittent boot. Now does not boot at all Tried another working PSU...