Windows 10: Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi.

Discus and support Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I didn’t realize I needed to have GPT instead of MBR drive and after changing this setting in the bios for my Msi b450m gaming plus max my pc just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ScoutOverlander, Jun 4, 2022.

1. Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi.

I didn’t realize I needed to have GPT instead of MBR drive and after changing this setting in the bios for my Msi b450m gaming plus max my pc just keeps loading “preparing automatic repair”.I have tired removing th cmos for 3hrs and resetting the bios. When bios are set back to UEFi+ legacy the same thing happens. I have tried using windows recovery media to repair drive but it can’t find my windows installation or something. I have even tried installing windows on a spare drive I have connected with windows recovery media in hopes that I could use minipart tool to format my c drive to gpt and

:)

ScoutOverlander, Jun 4, 2022

2. Trouble installing windows 7 on RAID in UEFI

As the title says, I'm trying to install Windows on a RAID array in uefi on my Maximus V Formula. When using legacy ROM I can install just fine but I go into CSM and change settings to UEFI only, I can build the array in the UEFI Raid driver (IRST tab in "BIOS") but the array does not show up in the boot menu and when I try to install windows (boot from UEFI DVD drive), The drive does not show up in the Windows install. The next thing I tried was to enable UEFI and legacy oprom in CSM, boot from UEFI DVD drive and install to the RAID array (probably detected by legacy oprom) and it will install. After first reboot, Windows Boot manager will show up as an option in the BIOS boot menu so I set that as first boot device and reboot. I will get to the starting windows screen and then BSOD (too quick to get codes) The last thing I tried was Changing to legacy mode and installing windows to a different drive. once installed, I initialized the Raid array as GPT and rebooted, changed csm back to UEFI only but they RAID array still doesn't show in the boot device list so I repeated the earlier process hoping that It might work because I had initialized as GPT but it still BSODs on starting windows screen. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

mystiksinner, Jun 4, 2022
  3. gupsterg Win User
    UEFI vs Legacy boot mode

Yep, UEFI mode with Win 10 loading I get the Asus logo.

IIRC there maybe an option within motherboard UEFI to disable the Asus logo but not looked into it. On another forum I have read that what logo you get at Win 10 loading is the easiest way to know what bios mode OS is in.

If system is booting in legacy mode - you get Windows Logo.
    If system is booting in UEFI mode - you get OEM logo.

Above also applies to Win 8 but not Win 7.

gupsterg, Jun 4, 2022
  4. Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi.

UEFI vs Legacy boot mode

I recommend you stick with legacy install instead to avoid any compatibility problem hardware or software. Uefi have the speed advantage for boot up but I don't find it to be a good trade-off for the compatibility problems that appeared. Secure boot for uefi is a pain if you decide to install multiple os as the other os is "locked" out. I used uefi for my previous install it is a lengthy install selecting the correct bios setting without borking the install. I'll move to uefi if I don't have a need for multiple os or legacy things. So far I seem to need it.

MIRTAZAPINE, Jun 4, 2022
Thema:

Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi.

1. Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi. - Similar Threads - won’t boot going

2. PC won’t boot in UEFI, only in CSM/legacy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won’t boot in UEFI, only in CSM/legacy: Hello!I want to install a game that requires for me to enable secure boot, which also requires for me to switch from CSM to UEFI, but doing so will either BSOD or take me to automatic repair. The system works just fine in CSM and the disc is GPT....
  3. PC won’t boot in UEFI, only in CSM/legacy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC won’t boot in UEFI, only in CSM/legacy: Hello!I want to install a game that requires for me to enable secure boot, which also requires for me to switch from CSM to UEFI, but doing so will either BSOD or take me to automatic repair. The system works just fine in CSM and the disc is GPT....
  4. After changing to uefi from legacy in the Bios my computer won’t boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After changing to uefi from legacy in the Bios my computer won’t boot: After changing from legacy to UEFI my computer will turn on with no boot screen or anything, it will sit for hours with no signal without turning off if I let it, I wiped my my hard drives of the windows 10 os before changing this option, since I was trying to install windows...
  5. After changing to uefi from legacy in the Bios my computer won’t boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After changing to uefi from legacy in the Bios my computer won’t boot: After changing from legacy to UEFI my computer will turn on with no boot screen or anything, it will sit for hours with no signal without turning off if I let it, I wiped my my hard drives of the windows 10 os before changing this option, since I was trying to install windows...
  6. Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi.: I didn’t realize I needed to have GPT instead of MBR drive and after changing this setting in the bios for my Msi b450m gaming plus max my pc just keeps loading “preparing automatic repair”.I have tired removing th cmos for 3hrs and resetting the bios. When bios are set back...
  7. Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows won’t boot after going from Legacy + UEFi to UEFi.: I didn’t realize I needed to have GPT instead of MBR drive and after changing this setting in the bios for my Msi b450m gaming plus max my pc just keeps loading “preparing automatic repair”.I have tired removing th cmos for 3hrs and resetting the bios. When bios are set back...
  8. Legacy or uefi boot?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  9. Legacy or uefi boot?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy or uefi boot?: I tried reinstalling windows again onto my hdd because i moved my linux distro from that hdd onto my main ssd. the ssd booted originally i belive with legacy mode, but with the hdd bootting with the new installi gets stuck in "getting ready" I believe the bios used to be...
  10. Notebook boots in Legacy not UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Notebook boots in Legacy not UEFI: HI, I have been problem in My Notebook pavilion AB-029TX , So i decided to clean install windows. I downloaded Media Creation and created ISO then using rufus I created bootable USB, Here Something happened I inserted USB then in BIOS menu it wasn't showing us so I changed...