Windows 10: Windows won’t boot off of drive

Discus and support Windows won’t boot off of drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Accidentally changed a partition or something on my SSD, and now my BIOS is telling me that there’s no OS on my computer... I have 0 clue how to fix... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LoganKuhar, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Windows won’t boot off of drive

Accidentally changed a partition or something on my SSD, and now my BIOS is telling me that there’s no OS on my computer...

I have 0 clue how to fix this, can someone help?

submitted by /u/LoganKuhar
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LoganKuhar, Jul 29, 2020

2. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Jul 29, 2020
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Jul 29, 2020
  4. Windows won’t boot off of drive

little cat, Jul 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows won’t boot off of drive

1. Windows won’t boot off of drive - Similar Threads - won’t boot off

2. Windows won’t Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won’t Boot: I cannot boot into windows I have tried the repair tool and the command prompt and it won’t work I also tried to boot in safe mode and that failed as well https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-wont-boot/db6fccfe-a0c8-4599-82a0-0d52fed40af4
  3. Windows won’t Boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows won’t Boot: I cannot boot into windows I have tried the repair tool and the command prompt and it won’t work I also tried to boot in safe mode and that failed as well https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-wont-boot/db6fccfe-a0c8-4599-82a0-0d52fed40af4
  4. Windows won’t boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows won’t boot: I just got a m.2 gen 4. I have transferred everything to it including windows, updated windows on it and everything. It was working just fine for a couple of days so i have my old ssd to my father to use that had the original windows on it he reformatted it and is now using...
  5. Windows Won’t Boot

Windows Won’t Boot: I’m not sure what I did but my pc won’t boot up properly. It keeps on restarting, like it says Gigabyte the brand of my motherboard and then it just restarts, it won’t boot up to my ssd....
  6. Windows Won’t Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Won’t Boot: I’m not sure what I did but my pc won’t boot up properly. It keeps on restarting, like it says Gigabyte the brand of my motherboard and then it just restarts, it won’t boot up to my ssd....
  7. Windows Won’t Boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows won’t boot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won’t boot: I downloaded the Windows Installation Media on a USB. When I plug the USB into my new PC, Windows won’t boot it. It reads that the USB is there and I have boot priority for the USB. Why isn’t it booting. My motherboard is a ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair Hero 8 of that helps at all....
  9. Cloned drive won’t boot

Cloned drive won’t boot: I copied my upgraded OS from a suspected failing 13yr-old Seagate 160GB (keeps crashing) onto a WDC 500GB using MiniTool Partition Wizard – How to migrate OS to SSD/HD, but the cloned drive won’t boot, it just shows a DOS screen with the letter j followed by a blinking...
  10. Cloned drive won’t boot up

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned drive won’t boot up: I am very new at this. I have a HP ProBook 4540. A diagnostic test said the hard drive was failing. I cloned the old hard drive to an identical new one using EaseUS. Everything seemed fine. I then installed the new drive into the laptop and this message comes up: BootDevice...