Windows 10: Windows won't boot unless I press a key

Discus and support Windows won't boot unless I press a key in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was dual-booting Windows 10 and Kubuntu but decided to delete my Linux partition using the disk manager (rookie mistake), which made me unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Agnes Silva, May 21, 2019.

1. Windows won't boot unless I press a key

I was dual-booting Windows 10 and Kubuntu but decided to delete my Linux partition using the disk manager (rookie mistake), which made me unable to boot into Windows since the Grub bootloader couldn't find the now deleted Linux installation.

I used a bootable USB with Windows 1703 in it and did the usual /fixboot, /fixmbr which worked just fine and then I removed Grub using EasyBCD.

But now every time I turn on my computer there's a black screen after the manufacturer splashcreen and I need to manually press a key for it to boot into Windows.

I tried resetting the BIOS settings to the manufacturers default to no avail. Also yes, the drive in question is marked as active and as the boot partition.

Does anyone have an idea of why that might be happening? It's not a system breaking problem as I can still access my OS and files normally but I would like to understand why this is occurring and possibly how I can fix it.

Also I noticed that I can't shrink my SSD (where I was dual-booting Windows and Kubuntu) beyond 10GB despite having 150GB of free space. I'm assuming that it most likely has to do with residual data from my Linux installation but I have no idea how to fix that, so if anyone does please do tell.

:)

Agnes Silva, May 21, 2019
  2. manofthem Win User

Booting without press any key

@dhievm go ahead and list the model number that gives exact specs/info.

Does it stop right at the Toshiba logo and sit there? Will it sit forever til you press a key, or will it eventually work after so long?

manofthem, May 21, 2019
  3. tops Win User
    Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

4. dhievm Win User

Windows won't boot unless I press a key

Booting without press any key

I use a toshiba laptop , at startup can not be readily loading into Windows 8 , so it has to press any key emerging loading . How to overcome in order to loading without press ?

dhievm, May 21, 2019
Thema:

Windows won't boot unless I press a key

1. Windows won't boot unless I press a key - Similar Threads - won't boot unless

2. The R key will not work unless pressed in combination with the Shift key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The R key will not work unless pressed in combination with the Shift key: All the things I've tried so far:Bought a new keyboardUninstalled and reinstalled keyboard files under device managerUninstalled and reinstalled iCue for Corsair both old and new keyboards are CorsairPlugged the keyboard into a different USB slotA couple of command prompt...
  3. The R key will not work unless pressed in combination with the Shift key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The R key will not work unless pressed in combination with the Shift key: All the things I've tried so far:Bought a new keyboardUninstalled and reinstalled keyboard files under device managerUninstalled and reinstalled iCue for Corsair both old and new keyboards are CorsairPlugged the keyboard into a different USB slotA couple of command prompt...
  4. PC won't boot unless I press the reset button. Unable to tell if it's a monitor issue or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC won't boot unless I press the reset button. Unable to tell if it's a monitor issue or...: Hey there everyone, I built my system about a month ago and have had the above issue since day one. It occurs probably about 80% of the time and I'm unable to determine why it sometimes reboots on it's own while other times it does not until I press the reset button. I'll...
  5. PC won't boot unless I press the reset button. Unable to tell if it's a monitor issue or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC won't boot unless I press the reset button. Unable to tell if it's a monitor issue or...: Hey there everyone, I built my system about a month ago and have had the above issue since day one. It occurs probably about 80% of the time and I'm unable to determine why it sometimes reboots on it's own while other times it does not until I press the reset button. I'll...
  6. ALT codes won't appear unless I press a random key afterwards

in Windows 10 Customization
    ALT codes won't appear unless I press a random key afterwards: Hello, Today, despite no settings change on my part, my ALT codes changed behaviour on my work computer. In Office programs : I used to simply hold ALT and type the code, and when I released ALT, the code would appear. Now, when I release, nothing happens, and I have to...
  7. Some keys won't work unless if I press them in combination with the windows key

Some keys won't work unless if I press them in combination with the windows key: A, F, X, C, N, Comma, full stop, forward slash, Left Alt These keys are currently not working unless if press them in combination with the windows key which makes "C" open the file explorer and makes "full stop" log me off. I've already followed standard troubleshooting...
  8. Pc won't boot unless I press the reset button during

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc won't boot unless I press the reset button during: I've had this issue for well over a year now and since then I've factory reset a few times and even switched from a 5-year-old hard drive to an nvme, completely lost on what to do. On the off chance it does boot on the first try it will crash with a seemingly random error...
  9. Windows 10 taskbar programs won't maximize unless the Ctrl key is pressed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 taskbar programs won't maximize unless the Ctrl key is pressed: About 25% of the time, randomly, programs in the taskbar will not maximize when clicked on with the mouse. I need to point at the taskbar icon and then hit the Ctrl key. There is no time that using the Ctrl key will not work to maximize the screen. 25% is a lot. I'm...
  10. Keyboard Enter key won't work unless I also press another key (i.e. Shift or Alt)

Keyboard Enter key won't work unless I also press another key (i.e. Shift or Alt): I'm running Windows 10 Pro, Build 18272 (though the problem started 2+ builds ago). I moved my desktop from one room to another, and during that time it was powered fully off for a couple days. Shouldn't have been a problem. However, one issue that arose once I got it back...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows wont boot until a key is pressed - every time I turn on my computer theres a black screen after the manufacturer splashcreen