Windows 10: Windows won't boot without its install drive (once done)!

Discus and support Windows won't boot without its install drive (once done)! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, so i installed Windows 10 on my laptop disk #2 which already had one on disk #1. Issue is it won't boot without it install drive plugged in,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by unko, Dec 24, 2017.

1. unko Win User

Windows won't boot without its install drive (once done)!

Hello, so i installed Windows 10 on my laptop disk #2 which already had one on disk #1. Issue is it won't boot without it install drive plugged in, error otherwise! I tried "fixing" with easyBCD but no luck. This is UEFI by the way. and EFI partition is on disk #1. This disk #2 is MBR but i'm sure it's not the issue.

:)

2. Computer freeze on boot screen after creators update/upon reinstallation of Windows 10

Hi,

The original problem was that the computer froze on startup; the boot screen with the manufacturer logo and the spinning dots would freeze. I first tried Windows reset, but the reset was unable to finish, once again freezing on the boot screen after restart
    as the reset was being completed.

After that I decided to try to do a clean install of Windows 10 (in hindsight this may have been stupid). I used another computer to create a bootable flash drive and then proceeded to reinstall Windows. I've tried it 3 times and it just won't work. The
    installation goes fine and the computer restarts, but once the computer finishes preparing (once again on the boot screen, just as it reaches 100%) the computer freezes. The second time it resulted in a BSoD with the error "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" and it froze
    on the BSoD. The other 2 times it simply froze on 100%.

So now I have a computer without an installed Windows OS that won't install Windows. I've considered a BIOS update, although not sure how to run one from boot, but I'm trying to find out from the manufacturer. Any suggestions?

AdrianJönsson, Dec 24, 2017
  3. MfE 2.7 on E71 wont sync on schedule

Have done that without succes.

I will try uninstalling mfe and install 2.7 at once.

If that won't work I will reset phone and install all apps all over again.

menamuria---01, Dec 24, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

It will have put boot files on disk one if you left that in when you installed. Is disk 2 set to active?

Samuria, Dec 24, 2017
  5. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

When disk #1 is removed then disk #2 won't boot as the boot files are on disk #1. (@Samuria beat me to it).
    If you want two independent Windows installations then you should install with disk #1 disconnected.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 24, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Make sure the UEFI firmware is set to boot in UEFI mode only (legacy mode or CSM disabled) and Disk #1 (which might be 0 in UEFI settings) is set to the top priority. Mixing GPT drives (UEFI booting) and MBR drives (legacy BIOS or CSM mode booting) can be a problem when connected together.

NavyLCDR, Dec 24, 2017
  7. unko Win User
    BIOS is set to UEFI only and there is only 1 Windows entry since only one disk has EFI partition.. I said it won't boot without its install drive, which means USB flash drive. Both disk are always connected. Yes, logically the entry should be added to the EFI windows boot manager that's on disk 1. It is, however it won't boot without that said USB drive..

8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

So, in essence the laptop does not boot at all then.
    Can you try to disable disk#1 in UEFI (that's the one you call disk#2) and see if it boots ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 24, 2017
  9. spunk Win User
    Since you just installed to Disk #2, I would start over again.
    Unplug Disk #1. With only Disk #2 plugged in, Boot off of the Windows 10 installer and choose your Language, then Custom Install. In Where to install Windows, delete ALL Partitions, so Disk #2 is Unallocated Space. Then go Next, Windows will create new partitions and format them during the install. After Windows is installed, you can plug in Disk #1 again.

spunk, Dec 24, 2017
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

If not mistaken this is a laptop wich makes it hard to actually electrically disconnect a drive without removing a ton of screws.

Disabling it in UEFI\BIOS seems the only reasonable alternative. But if I read TS correctly neither drives boot now.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 24, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    The easiest way for you to fix it is going to be to make a bootable USB flash drive of Kyhi's Recovery Tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Read my quote in the middle of the OP of that thread about how to convert an existing Windows 10 installation USB flash drive into one that boots into Kyhi's recovery tools. Then boot into Kyhi's Recovery Tools and run Macrium Reflect. Under the restore menu will be a utility to fix Windows boot issues. Run that utility.

The biggest question is why did you install Disk 2 in legacy BIOS mode and MBR type partitioning, when the system is set up to boot from a GPT partitioned drive in UEFI mode?

NavyLCDR, Dec 25, 2017
  12. unko Win User
    Hello, you're quite correct : it's HARD (or maybe even impossible actually) to remove the main drive. And sadly, i CANNOT disable it in BIOS.. I tried installing at least 10 times, different Windows.. Same story, i cannot boot if i don't keep the usb install drive plugged in.. Which is crazy. But i'm sure it's not hard to fix.. Hope you'll confirm with a fix ^^

13. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

That's odd. Can you fill in your system specs so we can have a closer look at it ?
    And why do you want an OS on both disks if you don't mind me asking ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 25, 2017
  14. unko Win User
    Not the same version. And i got my habits. Also, i don't like giving up on a problem, especially computer.. Do you? ^^ Which specs, SSDs? Well first disk it's NVME 256GB, second is PCIe (SATA?) WD Green.

15. unko Win User
    Really, you got no ideas? Sounds bad *Sad

Thema:

1. Windows won't boot without its install drive (once done)! - Similar Threads - won't boot without

2. Windows 10 won't boot after second drive install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't boot after second drive install: I have a 1tb m.2 with windows 10 and I was creating a sata ssd for my friend. I went through the normal process, the USB, setup, chose the correct disk and it worked perfectly fine, but now it recognizes my main drive as the second one and bios recognizes it as a bootable...
  3. Windows 10 won't boot after second drive install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 won't boot after second drive install: I have a 1tb m.2 with windows 10 and I was creating a sata ssd for my friend. I went through the normal process, the USB, setup, chose the correct disk and it worked perfectly fine, but now it recognizes my main drive as the second one and bios recognizes it as a bootable...
  4. Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed: Hello Everyone.I discovered this issue while trying to replace my 2TB HDD.I have windows 10 installed on a 120GB SSD - My idea was to keep the OS files isolated not only within a partition, but on their own SSD.In addition to the 120GB SSD, I have several other disk drives...
  5. Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed: Hello Everyone.I discovered this issue while trying to replace my 2TB HDD.I have windows 10 installed on a 120GB SSD - My idea was to keep the OS files isolated not only within a partition, but on their own SSD.In addition to the 120GB SSD, I have several other disk drives...
  6. Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. PC Won't Boot, Windows Installation Drive not Working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC Won't Boot, Windows Installation Drive not Working: I'm really freaking out. For some odd reason my PC won't boot, and when I try to reach advanced options it's stuck in the repair loop. When I attempted to use my original windows flash drive the "advanced boot options" menu was in legacy mode. I couldn't repair my PC or do...
  8. clean install of windows 10 on new disk, but won't boot without the old windows 7 drive...

clean install of windows 10 on new disk, but won't boot without the old windows 7 drive...: Existing machine had Windows 7 on a single 1TB disk. I added a 2TB disk and installed WIndows 10 on that disk. I left the 1TB disk connected so I could transfer over data files after install complete. Install went heavenly, copied over data and so shut down machine and...
  9. PC will not boot into windows without secondary drives installed

in Windows 10 Support
    PC will not boot into windows without secondary drives installed: So whenever I remove my secondary drives at all for any reason it will no long boot into windows and will say something along the lines that it cannot detect the drive with windows 10. So I end up not being able to boot into windows. this is a problem because one of my HDDs...
  10. Laptop would only boot from Windows install Disc once now it won't?!

Laptop would only boot from Windows install Disc once now it won't?!: I popped in my Windows disc into my external DVD drive, installation started without a hitch, Windows told me I need the driver for the external DVD drive that the Window disc is running on in order to continue to install Windows. So I canceled the installation, shut off the...