Windows won't boot

Discus and support Windows won't boot in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! My W-10 computer recently decided to reinstall a bunch of updates that it already had (this actually happened on all three of my PCs running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vaindil, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Vaindil Win User

Windows won't boot

Hello! My W-10 computer recently decided to reinstall a bunch of updates that it already had (this actually happened on all three of my PCs running W-10, so I assume it was something from Microsoft? I dunno). Normally not an issue, but on this particular PC Windows now won't boot.

In case it matters, the following were all performed from the built-in recovery environment that pops up after Automatic Repair fails, not a bootable flash drive or anything else.

I first tried removing pending Windows updates, which said it completed but did not fix the issue as it had in the past. Then I edited the BCD to force booting into safe mode, but Windows still wouldn't boot (so I removed that flag and rebooted back into the repair environment).

I then tried running sfc /scannow /offbootdir:C:\ /offwindir:C:\windows\ several times, but each time it said it found errors but couldn't repair them. Last night while I was researching I found an MS MVP wiki article that says (at the bottom) that sfc /scannow doesn't work properly in W-10. Great.

So I then used an Ubuntu bootable flash drive to copy the Windows directory from a working copy of build 9879 from my laptop to an external HDD, then I ran DISM /Image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /SourceWindows won't boot :D:\Windows (where D:\ was my external HDD). That operation failed, reporting that some hashes were invalid (specifically "CSI Payload Corrupt"; log file is attached). My plan was to come to work today and pull what I know to be valid copies of the two files from my W-10 work computer, but none of the general hash methods (MD5, CRC32, SHA1, SHA256, SHA512, SHA384) report matching values even for what I already had, so I have no way of determining what will be accepted as valid once I get back home to my desktop computer.

I'm pretty much to the point where I'll just backup files, wipe the drive, and start fresh, but I figured I'd ask here before I do that as I'd REALLY like to avoid having to do so if possible. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

:)

Vaindil, Dec 10, 2014
  2. dinulhaq Win User

Unable to start windows 10 after update?

Windows 10 Won't boot, Won't autorepair, won't go back to previous update after yesterday last update HELP!!

dinulhaq, Dec 10, 2014
  3. Sweetnlow35 Win User
    Windows 10 Pro help

I need help with Windows 10 Pro. It won't boot & all it does is open into the boot menu. It won't let me into safe mode either. Please help.

Sweetnlow35, Dec 10, 2014
  4. usasma Win User

Windows won't boot

The Windows Update folks are great at fixing SFC and DISM problems.
    Their experts hang out here: Windows Updates and Activation - Windows 10 Forums

The wiki article that you cited says that there's a WSReset.exe command that can be run (from an elevated Command Prompt) to reset SFC. Have you tried that?

Good luck!

usasma, Dec 11, 2014
Thema:

Windows won't boot

1. Windows won't boot - Similar Threads - won't boot

2. Windows 10 sometimes won't boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 sometimes won't boot: I have an Asus GL502VM laptop with dual boot (Ubuntu and W10). When I turn on the pc it shows Ubuntu's GRUB, where I choose to boot W10. The problem is the following, one time it boots properly and the following it doesn't. When it doesn't boot it shows the monitor on, but...
  3. Boot Disc/USB won't start

Boot Disc/USB won't start: When the computer tries to load windows I get error: 0xc000000e and I have the options to 1 Enter and try again (Does nothing) 2 F1 to enter Recovery Environment (Turns the computer off) 3 F8 for Startup seetings (Nothing) 4 Press Esc to enter UEFI Firmware settings...
  4. Won't Boot - (C:)\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

in Windows 10 Support
    Won't Boot - (C:)\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt: I was doing a Re-image on battery by mistake on a ASUS GL533VD. The power went out. After connecting the power cord the laptop was stuck in a repair loop upon booting. The repair always fails due to (C:)\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt. The OS at the time was...
  5. HP laptop won't boot up after restart

in Windows 10 Support
    HP laptop won't boot up after restart: All I simply did was try to reinstall Power DVD 16 and now it won't boot. Can't hit any of the F keys either. No matter what I hit, as soon as I turn it on, it goes to please wait and then keyboard selection and either troubleshoot or turn off your pc. Anybody have any ideas?...
  6. I had a failed factory reset, now Windows won't boot up

I had a failed factory reset, now Windows won't boot up: Please help. Recently my laptop was very slow. Today i decided to do a factory reset and when it was about 80% through, the reset failed. Now, when I try and use my laptop , it only gets to the HP logo, then goes to a black screen with a flashing underscore symbol on the top...
  7. Windows 10 won't display after boot.

Windows 10 won't display after boot.: So recently my Desktop PC crashed/blue screened when I accidentally tapped it with my foot and now whenever I start up my PC it is a black screen or "no video available" as my TV describes. I have tried unplugging and plugging everything back in, I have tried different TVs...
  8. Acer PC won't boot from USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Acer PC won't boot from USB: I attempted to install another operating system onto another partition on my second PC. I've done all the steps correctly, after asking a question from another post. When I hit F12 and chose to boot from USB, it just showed a black screen. I went ahead to disable secure...
  9. widows10 upgraded now my laptop won't boot up

in Windows 10 Support
    widows10 upgraded now my laptop won't boot up: hi guys, I am having issues with my Lenovo Tablet, it did an automatic update yesterday. Now when I switch on it goes into self checks and system restore fails every time, also diagnostics doesn't find the fault. I am at a loss as to how to proceed. However I have ordered...
  10. Windows won't boot up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows won't boot up: My device got an update, while updating it showed a black screen so, I turned it off from power button, it gets a blue screen and keeps restarting and then I opened troubleshoot and clicked on reset my pc, after a while it was installing windows at 42% it showed the blue...