Windows 10: Windows won't detect some USB devices

Discus and support Windows won't detect some USB devices in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Well, since the 70D isn't seen in bios either (as just a device), it could well be that the port on the camera has died. The motherboard doesn't even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Szark, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Szark Win User

Windows won't detect some USB devices

Well, since the 70D isn't seen in bios either (as just a device), it could well be that the port on the camera has died. The motherboard doesn't even see that "something is connected", so to speak. I'll need to test it tomorrow when I can access a Win 7 machine.

I now found my girlfriend's old 400D, which, after some charging, quickly connected it through the first 3.0 port I tried.

So, Canon service, my old friend, it seems that we meet again soon *Smile

PS Actually, the first signs of problems appeared earlier this year, when the USB-using Focal program mysteriously failed with the 70D, having done good work previously.

------

And the external drive mystery remains, too. I did some further testing here.

1) When directly connecting it to the PC, it's only properly recognized by the computer when in a 2.0 port. Transfer test with a 3 Gb movie file from an SSD to the drive yields initial speed of 30 Mb/s, then picks it self up to about 38 Mb/s, which is still roughly twice as less the USB 2.0 standard should allow.

2) It is recognized when connected to the BL3200PT first, which in turn is connected to the PC (any port, 3.1 or 3.0 or 2.0). Transfer speed tests yield same results.

3) When copying raw image files from the SD card using the BL3200PT reader slot, and using PC's 3.1 or 3.0 ports, it reaches speeds of about 80 Mb/s, which is a bit higher than the USB 2.0 standard (~60 Mb/s) but significantly lower than the USB 3.0 standard. The SD card is rated at up to 90 Mb/s write speed and up to 95 Mb/s read speed, so it kinda makes sense.

This speed tests of the external drive would indicate, that something is wrong with the USB 3.0 drivers or something. Yet the SD card test sort of disproves that notion...

Szark, Sep 3, 2016
  2. Kbird Win User

Actually my 50D wasn't seen at Post either , didn't think to mention it yest. ,but not sure if that is cos it wouldn't be bootable (marked active).

remember that writing to the drive will be way slower than reading from it , 38mb/s doesn't sound bad to me for USB2 write

#3 yes you are limited by the card but also by USB overhead and possibly whatever USB Firmware is in the BenQ etc

it sounds like the issue is with the WD , rather than the computer not finding USB3 for some reason , any chance the USB3 connector pins are damaged ? ie:

For those readers worried about the "proprietary" USB cable: IT'S NOT PROPRIETARY

All USB 3.0 Male Powered Micro-B connectors look like this. If you take a closer look inside the (blue) connect at the other end of the cable (the end that plugs into the computer), you'll see some copper pins that are not found in the USB 2.0 connectors.

USB 3.0 has pins whereas 2.0 only has 4 pins. This is because in addition to the 5V power pins, 3.0 contains the old 2.0 data channels in addition to completely separate "SuperSpeed" data channels for the 3.0 operation. The 2.0 and 3.0 data components are merely separated out on the micro connector.

From what I am reading at Amazon and Newegg , your speeds etc are about what most are reporting for that Drive......several have the same USB2 only issue..... don't see a fix mentioned though.

WD 1TB Elements SE Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Model WDBPCK0010BBK-NESN - Newegg.ca
    and
    Western Digital WDBPCK5000ABK-NESN Elements SE Portable Hard Drive 500 GB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive:Amazon:Electronics
    scrolldown

KB

Kbird, Sep 3, 2016
  3. Szark Win User
    I'd like to add here, that this particular WD drive has actually served me very well. I got it as a gift in 2011 (so it's running for the 5th year now) and it has also received quite a bit of knocks, falls etc. So, I wouldn't be surprised if some part of the USB connection is faulty there.

If I can fix the camera problem, then I'd just be OK with the drive's connectivity problems. And it would probably be ok to assume that on the PC side of things, the USB settings and health are actually ok. This would actually be a good moment to get a 3.1 drive. If I needed those speeds, that is. A faster SD-card import workflow would be nice though.

An afterthought:
    What if the WD's 3.0 pins/parts are broken, and thus it is able to connect to the 3.0 ports on the PC through the monitor, because the monitor sees that the WD is only 2.0 capable and "translates" it into the 2.0 workflow for the PC's 3.0 port, so everyone understands each other in that case. Yet PC alone isn't somehow able to see the WD properly and only sees that "it's broken". If that makes any sense if you read it.

Szark, Sep 3, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

I assume you have the latest Firmware on the 70D ? does the HDMI still work ? or is it OUT only? can you use it instead for "Focal" . Got a link for the Focal Prog?

Did you ask around on the Photo Websites about this issue?

re your after thought with using a pass through port , my guess would be some pins are disabled to make it a pass through rather than a true connector , perhaps you are right. IF the cable is 5yrs old , might be worth picking up another longer one to test with?

Kbird, Sep 3, 2016
  5. Szark Win User
    1) I don't have the required HDMI cable for the 70D.

2) Reikan FoCal Automatic Lens Calibration Software - Fully Automatic Lens Calibration and Camera ToolsReikan FoCal Automatic Lens Calibration Software (if you ask why I would opt for such program, then that's a long story, best shared private I think)

3) Haven't searched photo sites specifically. Most results just say, and so does Canon, that "it doesn't need any Canon model specific USB driver" (which is right I guess). So this seems to relate to the nature of the USB, not Canon.

4) The WD uses a special cable which isn't readily available. I'd have to do some research about getting another one.

Szark, Sep 3, 2016
  6. Szark Win User
    Wait... what the f***! I just "cleared all camera settings" at the 70D, just to make sure, while I was checking the firmware and it started working.

For god's sake I feel just like the idiot I was at the HDMI case if you remember.

Szark, Sep 3, 2016
  7. Kbird Win User
    Ahhhhh or is that Oooops... *Smile I would not of thought to do a full Camera reset either though......

Ohhh doesn't the 70D have Wifi ? perhaps your transfer mode was set to that and USB was disabled ? and a Clear reset it to USB ?

How much is Focal going to hurt my Wallet ? you piqued my interest ......

Re the WD , I see some saying it is a special cable and others disputing that , but they likely changed it after complaints in the original versions? I think a friend has one with a weird end too...

Kbird, Sep 3, 2016
  8. Szark Win User

Yes the Canon's "no you can't use usb while wifi" (can someone explain that?) thing might have been the problem here. Furthermore, the actual wifi module can be "off" or "not actively searching for connection", but the setting can still be "on" at the same time. It switches it's wifi off after some time but doesn't disable the setting which prevents usb. I didn't realize that until now.

The Focal hurt my wallet quite a bit as I went for the pro version. TL;DR - it didn't help me with my main problem; although the program is serious and solid.

Windows won't detect some USB devices [​IMG]

Szark, Sep 3, 2016
  9. Kbird Win User
    NO fancy Movie settings or Wifi on the 50D , it is more a K.I.S.S camera *Smile yes you'd think if Wifi is Off it would default back to USB.

does the very LH pin in the cable end look bent or squashed to you? or is that just the pic?

And what exactly is that push button for ? the SS above it means SuperSpeed , hopefully that isn't the USB2>USB3 switch *Smile

Kbird, Sep 3, 2016
  10. Szark Win User
    One would think that about the wifi! It would be perfectly reasonable to assume that.

It's just a crappy smartphone picture in this case. I noticed the LH pin from the pic aswell but it seems alright as it should get proper connection with it's according pin.

That's not a button that's power/notification led *Smile

Edit: I tried to push that led too, haha. At this emotional state right now I wouldn't exclude the option that the WD decided that it would've been a good idea to HIDE a button there for the maximum speeds.

Edit 2: It seems that the strange connector is a "micro-USB with some crazy birth defect".

Szark, Sep 3, 2016
  11. Kbird Win User
    Yeah the led looks like a reset push button in the pic *Smile in 2011 I thought maybe it was for compatibility issues...

Yep somebody put a kink in it ,weird they would do that , but maybe in early days long standard USB3 cables weren't reliable ? so this limited use to only there "known good" cable.

Maybe time to splurge on a new one and give that one to the girlfriend ........

How much is Focal going to hurt my Wallet ? you piqued my interest ...... I have thought about sending in my lenses a few times but couldn't figure out if it was just me even though I was careful etc. But some are long out of warranty now...

KB

Kbird, Sep 4, 2016
  12. Szark Win User
    It costed me about 90 euros at the time I think, or about 100 USD. Prices are here: Get FoCal - Reikan FoCal Automatic Lens Calibration SoftwareReikan FoCal Automatic Lens Calibration Software

I have a Sigma 18-35 which has a perfect reputation and is widely considered as one of the best lenses for that length. On my 70D though, it suffers focus missing problems, and this is different when using different focus points on the camera and different focusing distances - thus, in general, no amount of focus microadjust from camera or from Focal (which just sets the adjustments for you) can help. I've sent the lens and the camera to service, even outside the country to European central service, I've let the Sigma service to calibrate the lens with my camera and all for nothing. I think this is an essential problem between Canon's and Sigma's firmwares and until they won't address this in general, I'm out of luck. In practice, I can shoot events, landscapes and so on. But for, let's say, family portraits, it's a clear and epic fail.

Interestingly, it also fails on the 7Dmk2, but the new Sigma 50-100 which looks very nice, worked amazingly perfectly in the shop when I tried it. Meaning maybe, just maybe, they've dealt with the issue on the new lens, but no upgrade on the 18-35 *cry

Szark, Sep 4, 2016
  13. Kbird Win User

Had weird Issues years ago with Sigma lens too for the same reasons, so now look at Canon only usually , just have to save harder *Smile , since I'm not a Pro, but I think my (now old) 400mm has "issues" though , which I'm told is fine by local service place so it bothers me.

So you have Focal Pro ? what advantages over the Plus version? ( i saw chart there) but prefer "User" feedback *Smile

edit ..... I may need Pro ? since the 50D is APS so in effect my 400mm is 600mm ( that was deliberate) and STD and PLU don't do 400mm + lenses

Kbird, Sep 4, 2016
  14. Szark Win User
    I'm no "Pro" either, but reliability issues hit you hard even if you're just starting out. Makes you feel like you've been cheated.

My local service is friendly and quick and all, but in its core I think most employees there just don't really care, and really, these problems are probably out of their reach to actually deal with.

Edit: The pro version unlocks things like non-center point adjustment, custom white balances and all that stuff. And gets you more updates further down the line. I think it's a lifetime licence, but you get updates for only a year. Which dumb I think. For that price you'd assume a bit more. I'd say the ability to choose other point than the center one is the one I needed and which the standard versions don't have I think. Because I mainly shoot with the points just next to the center one.

Szark, Sep 4, 2016
  15. Kbird Win User
    True , it;s one thing knowing about a limitation upfront , it's quite another finding out after the fact....maybe Sigma has a new Firmware for the lens by now ? worth an ask..... especially since you still have issues.

Do you use DPP or Capture One or ?

edit ..... I may need Pro ? since the 50D is APS so in effect my 400mm is 600mm ( that was deliberate) and STD and PLU don't do 400mm + lenses you saw it above....

Lifetime but Updates only for 1yr? ohhhhh ok like most SW house they are going to the Subscription Model too....
    though I am unsure how helpful that is once you have your "Kit" especially with no plans to buy more anytime soon, even my 50D is 5 yrs old ,,,and "good enough" as much as i'd like a 7DmkII, i would never use it to it's full potential.

KB

Kbird, Sep 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows won't detect some USB devices - Similar Threads - won't detect USB

2. USB 2.0 HEADSET Windows won't detect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 2.0 HEADSET Windows won't detect: So I've been up for 2 day's since I bought a headset HP H360G I tried it for a couple of minute windows registered it it worked for like 10 minute but after that it suddenly disappeared I tried updating drivers uninstalling them so on and on I have lost count on how much I've...
  3. USB 2.0 HEADSET Windows won't detect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB 2.0 HEADSET Windows won't detect: So I've been up for 2 day's since I bought a headset HP H360G I tried it for a couple of minute windows registered it it worked for like 10 minute but after that it suddenly disappeared I tried updating drivers uninstalling them so on and on I have lost count on how much I've...
  4. USB 2.0 HEADSET Windows won't detect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB wifi not detected in some USB ports

USB wifi not detected in some USB ports: Hello, I have a wireless USB adapter that works perfect in the front USB ports of my PC. But it doesn't work in the back USB ports. The same wireless adapter in the same machine with other operating sistem Linux, the adapter works perfect in both ports. How could I get it...
  6. USB device not detected

USB device not detected: I'm trying to use a logitech c920 webcam. Each time i plug it into a USB port, it either says "device not detected" or it will work for maybe 10 seconds and then shut off. I have Logitech G HUB installed. Anyone know how to fix this problem?...
  7. USB DEVICE COULD NOT BE DETECTED

USB DEVICE COULD NOT BE DETECTED: Hello, I have a microcontroller board BL0080 from Matrix Multimedia. It is a windows- based device. My problem is that I could not download the code through mLoader.exe from Flowcode 8 IDE Integrated Development Environment to my microcontroller board and the problem states...
  8. Windows detects no usb devices

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows detects no usb devices: Windows 10 is detecting literally no usb devices, during in bios everything works fine, but when I boot into windows they don’t even get power. The also computer freezes on the boot screen 9/10 times Help? submitted by /u/AvoRunner [link] [comments]...
  9. USB DEVICES NOT DETECTED IN WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    USB DEVICES NOT DETECTED IN WINDOWS 10: I newly migrated to windows 10 from windows 7 but my usb devices has not been working ever since. What can I do to make them functional https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-devices-not-detected-in-windows-10/cda82769-608f-4954-a8f9-a0fd3b987e16
  10. USB Connected Devices not detected

USB Connected Devices not detected: Laptop: HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-f202na Newly installed Windows 10 Hi I purchased this laptop some months ago using Windows 8.1. I had so many problems and hated the OS so much I upgraded to Windows 10. I have found that some devices I plug in via USB work just fine...