Windows 10: Windows Won't let me activate after setting up Win 10 Hyper-V VM

Discus and support Windows Won't let me activate after setting up Win 10 Hyper-V VM in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I upgraded to Windows 11 Pro and all was well. I then created a VM using Hyper-V and installed Windows 10 Home on the VM. Now, my host/main machine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by PapaSpock, Aug 19, 2022.

1. PapaSpock Win User

Windows Won't let me activate after setting up Win 10 Hyper-V VM

I upgraded to Windows 11 Pro and all was well. I then created a VM using Hyper-V and installed Windows 10 Home on the VM. Now, my host/main machine says I need to activate Windows and I can't. The purchase from the MS Store for Windows 11 Pro does not have a license key. I deleted the VM and the virtual hard drive and rebooted, but Windows still says I need to activate. I was just going to buy another license for Windows 11 Pro, but when I click on that option it takes me to a page in the store that says I cannot buy a license for this version of Windows and they're not sure how I got the

:)

PapaSpock, Aug 19, 2022
  2. SoFine409 Win User

Moving Hyper-V to Another Disk

Thank you Kari.
    UPDATE: While doing some additional research on whether or not I would need to change the default location(s) for the VMs, I realized that I can store each VM in different location and don’t need to keep them all in one place. Never knew that. So I won’t need to move the existing ones after all. I can simply store any new VMs on another drive where there is more space. There is always something new to learn.
    Bob

SoFine409, Aug 19, 2022
  3. Move Hyper-V VM Without Reactivating?

According to this (How do I avoid needing to activate Windows when I move a VM? [Hyper-V]) link it is possible to move a Hyper V VM to a new host without having to reactivate the guest OS by exporting
    it and importing it. Are there any additional steps I should know about or is it as simple as find the export and then import (on the new host) options/buttons?

EvenNotOdd, Aug 19, 2022
  4. Windows Won't let me activate after setting up Win 10 Hyper-V VM

Hyper-V is it for Win 10 Pro ONLY

I have a The Windows 10 is Home... desktop PC... Hyper-V is it for Win 10 Pro ONLY...? If Hyper-V can run too on Windows Home... I must disable it to run VMs in Virtual Box or VMware Player??? How to disable Hyper-V in Windows 10 Home...?

I must enable Hyper-V if I want to run VM in Hyper-V,... correct? Hyper-V can run/import Virtual-Machine.vmdk files eg run VMs of extension vmdk...?

Lse123polis, Aug 19, 2022
Thema:

Windows Won't let me activate after setting up Win 10 Hyper-V VM

1. Windows Won't let me activate after setting up Win 10 Hyper-V VM - Similar Threads - Won't let activate

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. Windows Won't let me activate after setting up Win 10 Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Won't let me activate after setting up Win 10 Hyper-V VM: I upgraded to Windows 11 Pro and all was well. I then created a VM using Hyper-V and installed Windows 10 Home on the VM. Now, my host/main machine says I need to activate Windows and I can't. The purchase from the MS Store for Windows 11 Pro does not have a license key. I...
  5. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  6. Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM: I have a Windows 10 Pro machine which supports virtualization. I want to create a hyper-V VM running Windows 10 as the guest host. I have some questions on licensing and any activation issues that might occur I expect I'll need to buy a 2nd Win 10 license Does it need...
  7. How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?

How to install Windows 10 on Hyper-V VM?: If there is a tutorial already, I cannot find it here as most of the hyper-V references are about getting Hyper-V working. I have: - Physical Notebook running Windows 10 Home (with key of course) - Physical Notebook running Window 10 Edu (with key of course) - Hyper-V...
  8. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  9. Hyper-V VM has no sound

Hyper-V VM has no sound: This is my first attempt at using Hyper-V. Installation in my Win 10 Pro worked well right up until I tried using the virtual machines sound. No sound device reported. I opened device manager the only option I could see was Audio inputs and outputs. Expanding and a device...
  10. Local Resources not showing for Win 10 Pro Hyper-V VM

Local Resources not showing for Win 10 Pro Hyper-V VM: Hey- I've been troubleshooting this for ages, and am getting no-where fast! *Mad I'm basically trying to get a webcam to be available in the Windows 10 Pro Gen2 VM using Hyper-V. My host is Windows 10 Pro (on the same PC). I've read that I need to use RDP to...