Windows 10: Windows won't let me delete a folder

Discus and support Windows won't let me delete a folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I run VM's on my machine and share folders between the VM and my host Windows 10 laptop. Typically everything runs fine, but when I manipulate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by esender, Sep 15, 2020.

1. esender Win User

Windows won't let me delete a folder

I run VM's on my machine and share folders between the VM and my host Windows 10 laptop.

Typically everything runs fine, but when I manipulate folders within the VM/host shared space, sometimes Windows locks up the folder. I say Windows because I have shut down the VMs yet still Windows prevents me from working the folders.

Windows won't let me delete a folder a8259073-0774-4bf1-8b49-2089b9c24260?upload=true.png

What I have tried:

• I have tried admin override by hitting continue. It still fails

Windows won't let me delete a folder 4cd65275-8897-42ef-92bb-3568f8736b1f?upload=true.png

• Using Powershell in Admin mode various delete commands. None work
    • What does work -- Rebooting the entire laptop. I would very much not want to reboot every time this happens.

I try not to share folders between the VM and host but sometimes it happens.

How do I get windows to override whatever lock is on this folder? I can't find any locks on it via process explorer, but perhaps I am not looking properly.

:)

esender, Sep 15, 2020

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Windows won't let me delete a folder :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Windows won't let me delete a folder :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Sep 15, 2020
  3. AFTommy Win User
    Folder won"t go away

I have a no longer used folder than I cannot delete. I have tried various third party apps to no avain. Any ideas how I can send this folder to "Never Never Land"

Windows won't let me delete a folder [​IMG]

AFTommy, Sep 15, 2020
  4. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Windows won't let me delete a folder ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows won't let me delete a folder - Similar Threads - won't let delete

2. It won't let me in?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    It won't let me in?: How can I get in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-in/65c7d072-7bb5-4cb2-8c0f-4de3440e084a
  3. It won't let me in?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    It won't let me in?: How can I get in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/it-wont-let-me-in/65c7d072-7bb5-4cb2-8c0f-4de3440e084a
  4. Hello, I'm wanting to delete this folder but it won't let me, and this error message keeps...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hello, I'm wanting to delete this folder but it won't let me, and this error message keeps...: so I've tried everything I can think of, but the only option I have left is to re format the disk, but I don't want to do that because I will have to re download everything, and that is too much hassle....
  5. Hello, I'm wanting to delete this folder but it won't let me, and this error message keeps...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hello, I'm wanting to delete this folder but it won't let me, and this error message keeps...: so I've tried everything I can think of, but the only option I have left is to re format the disk, but I don't want to do that because I will have to re download everything, and that is too much hassle....
  6. Hello, I'm wanting to delete this folder but it won't let me, and this error message keeps...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Files folder won't let me upload.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files folder won't let me upload.: Hello, I am currently using google chrome as my default browser. When I try to upload a file ie. applying for a job I keep getting "program not responding". I am sure I tried everything, restarting computer, updating chrome and computer, drag & drop the file. Nothing seems to...
  8. Windows won't let me delete a file

Windows won't let me delete a file: I cannot delete a file from Windows. I've tried deleting from the desktop, a file saved to my computer, and a file saved to a network. Prior to this morning I was able to delete all of these. I have tried right click > delete and dragging the file to the recycling bin. I have...
  9. Window 10 won't let me delete or rename a file in my Download folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Window 10 won't let me delete or rename a file in my Download folder: To the OP: Doesn't it ask you to enter your admin credentials? It should be as simple as that. When you get the dialog box saying "You'll need to provide Administrator permission to copy to this folder" what options are you given? I modified the registry to add "Take...
  10. -won't let me delete this? fine.-

-won't let me delete this? fine.-: -won't let me delete this? fine.- 25647