Windows 10: Windows won't recognise my password

Discus and support Windows won't recognise my password in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have not used my office computer whilst working from home but when I try to log in, it won't recognise my password or pin number so I am locked out... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by LucyAC, Jul 20, 2020.

1. LucyAC Win User

Windows won't recognise my password

I have not used my office computer whilst working from home but when I try to log in, it won't recognise my password or pin number so I am locked out of the computer. The only buttons I can access is power and ease of use. There is no start button. I have logged on to windows and can't find the device. Can I reset the computer without losing all my documents?

:)

LucyAC, Jul 20, 2020

2. Computer won't recognise my password

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• What is the version and edition of your Operating system?
    • How many user accounts do you have on this computer?
    • I would suggest you to try the below methods.
    I suggest you to try the following troubleshooting steps to fix your issue.

Method 1: Try disconnecting the Network cable or disconnect from the Wi-Fi and try the first password, if it does not work try all the passwords that you have reset.

Method 2:When
    you can't
    sign into
    your Microsoft account.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jul 20, 2020
  3. poolboyuk Win User
    Computer won't recognise my password

Thank you for your reply. Just to be clear and to explain how I found myself in this situation.

• I had not used this lap top for over a year, replaced by a Surface Pro.
    • On starting it up, it was slow and the software was out of date.
    • The software was updated, I assume to Windows 10 but because the computer was running slowly, I decided to use the Windows Refresh, to clear non-essential software.
    • When this process completed, I was unable to sign into the computer using the password I had previously used before the Refresh. The sign in message was that the password was incorrect and I was invited to reset my password through "live/reset" which I
      did.
    • Despite Microsoft verification on my mobile, the sign in error message was the same.
    • I have repeated this exercise five times, each time with a new password and each time I receive the same error message.
    • In the meantime, as a consequence of the rest process on my laptop, I have had to update my Microsoft Live password on all my other devices e.g. mobile, iPad and each time that was successful.
    • I still cannot get beyond the sign in screen for my laptop, I have used the physical keyboard and the on-screen keyboard and every time. I receive the incorrect password message despite having the Microsoft verification text in my hand stating the password
      change has been successful.
    • I cannot disconnect from my WIFI in my house as I cannot access my computer to do so.
    • I am the only user.
    • The PC was functioning correctly, albeit slowly, until I applied the Refresh process.

I would be grateful for any further advice.

Mike

poolboyuk, Jul 20, 2020
  4. Namslas90 Win User

admin password?

You can reset the Admin Password using Windows XP repair; See Here for step by step.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows won't recognise my password - Similar Threads - won't recognise password

2. password not recognised

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    password not recognised: I successfully logged in and pressed reset to reset my computer and delete all files, but after the reset I went to log in again and it kept leading me to a black screen and saying failed login it was the right password as I used it an hour before I reset- I have now changed...
  3. startup repair won't recognise password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    startup repair won't recognise password: My PC crashed and now won't boot past the Windows logo. I'm able to access startup repair and safe mode, but actions in startup repair require a login. I use my Microsoft account as a the administrator login, but startup repair won't recognise either my pin which I usually...
  4. startup repair won't recognise password

startup repair won't recognise password: My PC crashed and now won't boot past the Windows logo. I'm able to access startup repair and safe mode, but actions in startup repair require a login. I use my Microsoft account as a the administrator login, but startup repair won't recognise either my pin which I usually...
  5. startup repair won't recognise password

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Not Recognising password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not Recognising password: Hi my windows 10 keeps showing automatic Repair: Your PC did not start correctly When I try to access safe mode nothing happens and when I try to enter my Microsoft password it keeps telling me The password is incorrect Try again. I have tried the password on other devices...
  7. Not Recognising password

Not Recognising password: Hi my windows 10 keeps showing automatic Repair: Your PC did not start correctly When I try to access safe mode nothing happens and when I try to enter my Microsoft password it keeps telling me The password is incorrect Try again. I have tried the password on other devices...
  8. Microsoft won't recognise one user's password but will recognise another

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Microsoft won't recognise one user's password but will recognise another: We have a family desktop PC. One user cannot log in despite using a password he knows is correct and which was working 3 days ago. Another user can log in with his usual password, so there is evidently no problem with the keyboard.Any possible explanations / solutions?...
  9. Windows won't recognise my password after running into diagnostics mode.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows won't recognise my password after running into diagnostics mode.: Alright so I have a laptop, Alienware 17 R4, which I have been getting a lot of trouble in with. Two days ago it started freezing badly. I'd open the laptop, work a bit or just navigate through menu and one by one the programs will start to freeze, then finally the windows...
  10. My HP laptop won't recognise My password

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My HP laptop won't recognise My password: My laptop won't accept my password. I've tried to reset the pc and clean drive fully but it then says additional free space is needed where windows is installed. Clear some space and try again. How on earth can I do that when I can't get into my pc?...