Windows 10: Windows won't recognize reformatted hard drive

Discus and support Windows won't recognize reformatted hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently cloned by hard drive onto an SSD which is now my C: drive. I then started the Windows installation process in order to reformat my hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PaulAubin, Jul 1, 2020.

1. PaulAubin Win User

Windows won't recognize reformatted hard drive

I recently cloned by hard drive onto an SSD which is now my C: drive. I then started the Windows installation process in order to reformat my hard drive. But now when I connect both the hard drive and the SSD to the motherboard my PC always tries to boot up from the hard drive. If I disconnect the hard drive and boot to the SSD then reconnect the hard drive it doesn't show up in File Explorer. Likewise, if I connect both and use the boot menu to boot from the SSD the hard drive doesn't show up in File Explorer.

I'm sure there was a "right" way to do this. Any suggestions?

Thanks

:)

PaulAubin, Jul 1, 2020
  2. Cybie1111 Win User

Reformatted 2 Hard Drives, 1 of them dosent get recognized by Windows

A little while ago, I reformatted both my hard drives and installed Windows XP in my Seagate drive. When I boot to the desktop, I am unable to access my smaller WD Hard Drive at all. The hard drive does get recognized by the BIOS, but Windows can not access it for some odd reason. I tried to access it in Safe Mode and the command prompt and still get the same result. What I also find odd is that Speedfan was able to access my older Hard Drive's temperature readings and its SMART info. And those readings check out as normal.

Is this a sign of a failing hard drive or is there something in Windows blocking access to the hard drive?

Cybie1111, Jul 1, 2020
  3. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Jul 1, 2020
  4. TracyDix Win User

Reformatting Hard Drives.

I am in the process of backing up my entire PC to an external hard drive including a system image. After backing up I want to reformat my existing internal hard drive that contains the windows 10 operating system. My question is: Can I reinstall windows
    10 after I have reformatted the hard drive ?

TracyDix, Jul 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows won't recognize reformatted hard drive - Similar Threads - won't recognize reformatted

2. File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat: File History stopped backing up at some point was a single file name too long for it?. I reformatted my external hard disk, a WD My Book. Now File History will not back up to it, despite it showing up in a list of possible external drives to back up to. I've tried using a...
  3. File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat: File History stopped backing up at some point was a single file name too long for it?. I reformatted my external hard disk, a WD My Book. Now File History will not back up to it, despite it showing up in a list of possible external drives to back up to. I've tried using a...
  4. File History does not recognize external hard drive since reformat

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Accidently reformatted hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidently reformatted hard drive: How can I re-install Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidently-reformatted-hard-drive/6ec8bc4d-6d70-43e8-8689-d1688888aa80
  6. Accidently reformatted hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accidently reformatted hard drive: How can I re-install Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/accidently-reformatted-hard-drive/6ec8bc4d-6d70-43e8-8689-d1688888aa80
  7. Accidently reformatted hard drive

8. Reformatting A Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reformatting A Hard Drive: I have an issue with a hard driveIt needs do be reformatted buy its on read only but but I cant set it to read only thehard drive was used so i tried to change the setting of security. It greyed out...
  9. reformatting my hard drive

reformatting my hard drive: Previous old answers to this question did not answer how to format and wipe a hard drive in order to completely reload a PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reformatting-my-hard-drive/92a215f1-7444-4a89-bca4-e11b8146e1b8
  10. Reformatting Hard Drives.

Reformatting Hard Drives.: I am in the process of backing up my entire PC to an external hard drive including a system image. After backing up I want to reformat my existing internal hard drive that contains the windows 10 operating system. My question is: Can I reinstall windows 10 after I have...