Windows 10: Windows wont shutdown or restart

Discus and support Windows wont shutdown or restart in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I am currently running a new Windows 10 education edition install after my last one suddenly died. Now my current problem is that no matter the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Milo WHEELER, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Windows wont shutdown or restart

Hello, I am currently running a new Windows 10 education edition install after my last one suddenly died. Now my current problem is that no matter the method of trying to shutdown my computer through windows its just gets stuck.

Trying to shut down via the start menu doesn't even do anything, and using CMD/and installer to shutdown just gets me stuck on the shutting down/restarting screen. The only way to turn it off in Windows is holding the power button.

A list of things I have tried to no success.

• Booted into safe mode
    • Using File System Checker (DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth)
    • sfc /scannow
    • Holding the shift key when clicking shutdown (this does actually take me to the shutting down screen)
    • Turning off fast startup
    • Using CMD to shutdown

Now as far as I am aware I don't think this install has ever had a clean shutdown, I would very much like to avoid reinstalling Windows as it would have to be setup with my schools Domain again, this takes a while to do. This is driving me crazy I have other operating systems which use my C: drive and installers often fail due the lack of a clean shutdown.

Any help would be very useful, thanks.

:)

Milo WHEELER, Feb 28, 2019
  2. little cat, Feb 28, 2019
  3. Why wont Windows shutdown restarts instead

Hello Aaron,

Thank you for keeping us posted on the status of the issue.

We would like to know if the command line Shutdown /s /t 0
    helps to shutdown Windows successfully. In addition to which, I also suggest you
    to check if there is any Restore Point already created, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select System.

• In the left pane, click on System Protection.

• Select the option to system restore > next. It will show all restore points already created.

Also, verify, if the same issue occurs when you login to Windows using a different user account.

However, if you do not have a separate user account, I suggest you to create another administrator user account by referring to the Microsoft article here: Set
    up accounts

Write to us with the updated information for us to be bale to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 28, 2019
  4. Windows wont shutdown or restart

Shutdown then Immediately Restarts

Try below command:

Code:
    Code:
    shutdown -h now
    If above command wont work try below suggestion.

1. Click the “K” menu in the bottom left corner.
    2. Click “Logout”.
    3. Knoppix will begin shutting down.
    4. The Knoppix CD will be ejected.
    5. Remove the CD and close the tray.
    6. Press Enter on the keyboard.
    7. Knoppix will attempt to turn off the computer automatically. If it doesn't turn off automatically, it is now safe to turn off the computer yourself using the power button.

FreeBooter, Feb 28, 2019
Thema:

Windows wont shutdown or restart

1. Windows wont shutdown or restart - Similar Threads - wont shutdown restart

2. Windows wont Shutdown or Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows wont Shutdown or Sleep: I want to apologize if this comes off as a jumbled mess. It's an odd issue that I am very confused about. Any advice is greatly appreciated.When I go to shutdown PC inside of Windows 11, the computer shuts down like normal and then stays off around 3 seconds and powers itself...
  3. Windows wont Shutdown or Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows wont Shutdown or Sleep: I want to apologize if this comes off as a jumbled mess. It's an odd issue that I am very confused about. Any advice is greatly appreciated.When I go to shutdown PC inside of Windows 11, the computer shuts down like normal and then stays off around 3 seconds and powers itself...
  4. Restart or Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart or Shutdown: I have a set of laptops which are shared with the entire school. The same laptop is being used by 4 different users. Is it better for each user to logout from their account then shut down or logout then restart?...
  5. Restart or Shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restart or Shutdown: I have a set of laptops which are shared with the entire school. The same laptop is being used by 4 different users. Is it better for each user to logout from their account then shut down or logout then restart?...
  6. Restart or shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart or shutdown: I have seen a lot of Windows users don't shutdown or restart thier PCs at least at the end of the day and that creates some of low performance or not responding to some commands. I keep telling them please restart it or shutdown so the O.S will re-arrange it's files and fixes...
  7. HP ENVY laptop wont shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HP ENVY laptop wont shutdown/restart: this is driving me nuts, but recently my computer will not shutdown. i get the normal shutdown screen, then my display goes black but the light on the power button never goes out. it will force shutdown if i hold down the power button. tried to restart instead and it just...
  8. Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart causes shutdown & shutdown causes restart: Event log shows windows update causing a restart: The process C:\Windows\System32\usocoreworker.exe MILESTONE-JB has initiated the restart of computer MILESTONE-JB on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Service pack Planned Reason...
  9. restart shutdown

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    restart shutdown: hello, Im just having one problem with win 10 The restart shuts down my computer and I don't have this problem on linux mint can someone point me to a solution. I have tried to turn off hibernation and it seemed to be working for a little while ,but now it just shuts down...
  10. My Laptop wont shutdown , sleep and restart!!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My Laptop wont shutdown , sleep and restart!!: i have an asus x550lc which i recently upgraded to windows 10 x64. My pc is having a serious problem. it wont shutdown or sleep or restart properly. Sometimes it works all fine but most of the time after i shutdown or sleep the pc... the pc will turn off the screen and the...