Windows 10: Windows writes files to memory first before moving them to the HDD?

Discus and support Windows writes files to memory first before moving them to the HDD? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been noticing this "weird" behavior lately, I noticed it when I attempted to decompress a very large archive containing many small files 2 days... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by artins90, Feb 1, 2018.

1. artins90 Win User

Windows writes files to memory first before moving them to the HDD?

I have been noticing this "weird" behavior lately, I noticed it when I attempted to decompress a very large archive containing many small files 2 days ago.
    Basically the decompression speed was insane even for my my 7820x, between 150 and 200 MB/s.

After the decompression I noticed that my HDD was making quite a lot of noise for minutes after the decompression even though I wasn't running anything.
    I then open the Task Manager and the Disk activity was indeed at 100%, but what's more interesting is that there were more than 2 GB of modified memory waiting to be written to the disk and this amount was slowly decreasing as the HDD kept writing. The 7zip process was nowhere to be found in the task manager.
    I was able to replicate this by unzipping the same archive again.

This might be a neat performance improvement feature that allows the HDD to delay writes so that it can process them later when there might be less activity, but what if I lose power while are still in memory waiting to be written?

Currently I don't know if this is a feature or a weird issue, do you happen to have more info on this?

:)

artins90, Feb 1, 2018

2. 6234/Outlook memory problems

You can write your notes as text files in PC and move them to your memory card using PC Suite

manta---01, Feb 1, 2018
  3. 6233 Problem Record Video in card memory

Hi javasaad

It would be very slow writing video to memory card. Why not write to phone memory and use file manager to move it to memory card immediately afterwards?

scoobyman---01, Feb 1, 2018
  4. Windows writes files to memory first before moving them to the HDD?

The HDD is use to store data permanently, when a data stored or to be stored are always work on in system memory. Your computer uses RAM to load data because it's much quicker than running that same data directly off of a hard drive.

FreeBooter, Feb 1, 2018
  5. I believe it goes into ROM and then to the Hard Drive-Read Only Memory.

Josey Wales, Feb 1, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    This is a design feature, more on how it works here....

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

Bree, Feb 1, 2018
  7. PiKo Win User
    Therefore I always use for external media "safely remove hardware and reject media", to prevent HDD or memory stick failure. Sometimes you will notice that it takes a while before blinking on the device stops and Windows says: removal is ok.

PiKo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows writes files to memory first before moving them to the HDD?

1. Windows writes files to memory first before moving them to the HDD? - Similar Threads - writes files memory

2. Moved files to OneDrive, can't move them back

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moved files to OneDrive, can't move them back: Hi Everyone,I recently tried moving all my photos to OneDrive over 50gb and the files all seem to have moved. OneDrive is trying to sync the files.However, I didn't realize that the files would be removed from my library. I want to move my photos back to my library. When I...
  3. Moved files to OneDrive, can't move them back

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moved files to OneDrive, can't move them back: Hi Everyone,I recently tried moving all my photos to OneDrive over 50gb and the files all seem to have moved. OneDrive is trying to sync the files.However, I didn't realize that the files would be removed from my library. I want to move my photos back to my library. When I...
  4. Moved files to OneDrive, can't move them back

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Moving WIndows from HDD to SSD with files on it

Moving WIndows from HDD to SSD with files on it: I want to move my windows from an hdd to an ssd. The ssd already has stuff on it, but there is enough space for windows on it. However, everywhere ive looked it uses examples of the ssd being wiped. Do I have to delete all the stuff on it for it to work? And if I do, can I...
  6. Moving files from SSD to HDD

Moving files from SSD to HDD: I want to transfer all the files execpt the ones required to boot up Windows from my SSD to the HDD to keep my SSD free as it is a low capacity one. I have tried many methods posted online but couldn't do anything about it and I need the steps to be explained in such a way...
  7. Moved Windows 10 to SSD from HDD, no windows.old file in HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moved Windows 10 to SSD from HDD, no windows.old file in HDD: I moved my Windows 10 OS to my SSD via this guide: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/clean-install-of-windows-10-os-on-new-ssd-best/9186ae98-b2b4-4b7a-b3ff-0b053ce2d1c9 I don't want to format my HDD, and I thought i could...
  8. Windows 10 BSOD Attempted To Write To Read Only Memory Before Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 BSOD Attempted To Write To Read Only Memory Before Install: I am having a problem with starting up the windows 10 setup and i am using virtual box any fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-bsod-attempted-to-write-to-read-only/c25dbd39-388e-491f-96e8-10db08ce528c
  9. Write to HDD problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Write to HDD problem: I use LastPass. Now receive a message at boot "cannot write to Location:\locallow\lang". Tried recommended solution. No positive result. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/write-to-hdd-problem/4d6d8e85-4427-42fe-9035-6383564334c4
  10. Unable to write on HDD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to write on HDD?: I have Recently upgraded to Window 10 and transferred my computer to a new case. I used this opportunity to get a new SSD and HDD. My plan was to Have only windows 10 on my SSD and use the HDD as storage and for software that has frequent updates. Windows 10 recognizes...