Windows 10: Windows X function not working, Start issues, background photo issues

Discus and support Windows X function not working, Start issues, background photo issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So i've been having some really annoying issues, have tried all the forums and all the fixes i could find but to no avail. The issues i'm having are as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Skwisgaar, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Skwisgaar Win User

Windows X function not working, Start issues, background photo issues

So i've been having some really annoying issues, have tried all the forums and all the fixes i could find but to no avail. The issues i'm having are as follows:
    - Windows + x not working (neither does right click on start)
    - Can't load some system apps from start menu (e.g. cmd.exe)
    - Trying to load a picture as desktop background sets it to solid colour
    > Setting to a slideshow of pictures sets a single picture but won't change to the next image

I have tried running the SFC/scannow command, as well as the DISM check and restore health but no issues were found.
    I have also tried copying the winx appdata folder from a new test user i created to fix the win x issue but that didn't work
    I have tried setting a new default language as i read in the forums this could force it to help.
    I have also tried tweaking the lsShortcut in regedit to another name and back to default as I read this forces a fix sometimes.

The issues started after a night of installing my recording software (pro tools 9 and some other plug ins), in trying to get a certain pcie dsp plug in card to work i updated the bios and AMD chipset driver to the latest version, went to bed, booted the next morning and the above issues were happening. Not sure what in particular caused the issue but the backgrounds were definitely looping and the winx/search functions were working properly before all my installs and updates.

:)

Skwisgaar, Mar 18, 2019

2. Functionality issues in windows 10.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that you are facing functionality issues in Windows 10.

Now, please follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.
    Ref: Using System File Checker in Windows 10

Method 2:

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state
    or were irrecoverable, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Write to us with the updated information for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Mar 18, 2019
  3. Windows Start issue

Try this:

Right click on your start menu, and click on System:

Windows X function not working, Start issues, background photo issues [​IMG]

When the system window comes up, click on Advanced System Settings:

There, click on Startup and Recovery:

Then in the top menu you will have a choice of OSs. Select the one you want to boot to defaultly and uncheck the box for "Time to display list of operating systems."

That should make it boot into Windows 10 without your intervention.

ArazelEternal, Mar 18, 2019
  4. Windows X function not working, Start issues, background photo issues

Functionality issues with the Start Menu

Hello Brigittes,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and we regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

From the description provided, I understand that you are facing functionality issues with the Start Menu in Windows.

To be able to understand the issue better, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• Did you make any recent software changes to the operating system prior to the issue?
    • Do you face any other issues apart from the one you have mentioned? Also, was the current issue an abrupt event which started occurring?
    • Did you check if the same issue occurs with other user accounts as well?
    • Do you have any system restore point set in your computer prior to the issue?

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to check for the latest updates in Windows 10 which helps the PC to make optimal use of Windows 10 capabilities as well as fixing any missing links in performance of the operating system.

To check for updates now, go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select
    Check for updates. If Windows Update says that your PC is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available.

Now, please follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.
    Ref: Using System File Checker
    in Windows 10

Method 2

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state or were irrecoverable, then I suggest you to try the following steps to deploy the DISM command lines:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

• In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Write to us with the updated results and the required information for us to be able to assist you further.

Sayan_Ghosh, Mar 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows X function not working, Start issues, background photo issues

1. Windows X function not working, Start issues, background photo issues - Similar Threads - function working Start

2. Windows background issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows background issue: I have reinstalled Windows 10 after experiencing an issue on file explorer, which has fixed the issue. After only using it for a day, the background just turned black and the windows activation watermark disappeared, and I am unable to change it no matter what used set as...
  3. Windows background issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows background issue: I have reinstalled Windows 10 after experiencing an issue on file explorer, which has fixed the issue. After only using it for a day, the background just turned black and the windows activation watermark disappeared, and I am unable to change it no matter what used set as...
  4. Windows background issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. direct X issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    direct X issue: Hi, i am trying to install the epic games launcher and get error 'The code execution cannot proceed becuase XINPUT1_3.dll was not found' i have tried to install direct x 9 web installer but get error 'Error creating process reason INDOWS\system32\advpack.dll' i have...
  6. Photos having unknown start issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos having unknown start issues: After the most recent windows update, Microsoft photos will inconsistently work. sometimes it works fine, sometimes it takes up to a minute to start, sometimes it starts up, but freezes in place, and doesnt respond from there. windows also never reports it as "not...
  7. Background Issues

Background Issues: My background is incredibly blurry, despite the fact that the actual photo is not that blurry, how do I fix this issue.i tried using the center option in personalize but it made the picture too small....
  8. direct x issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    direct x issue?: Hello. This has been bugging me , and i appreciate your help in advance. I have 2 computers with similar builds and identical video card700 series. My wife plays a game online i used to play and just one day during load it crashes. the game will crash on load and the techs...
  9. Background Issue

Background Issue: After last upgrade I can't change my desktop background. When I select it nothing happens. Somebody can help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/background-issue/7c33fb93-82a3-4df8-9adb-f8c808d0f237
  10. Issues with Direct X.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with Direct X.: Whenever I try to open Europa Universalis 4, I get a message regarding D3dx9_43.dll. I tried to install directx 9.0 but you can't on Windows 10. I have directx 12 installed and I don't recall the game needing DX9 as its fairly recent. Any help is appreciated. 27629