Windows 10: Windows XP to Windows 8 to Windows 10?

Discus and support Windows XP to Windows 8 to Windows 10? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I originally upgraded from Windows XP Pro to Windows 8 Pro then Windows 8.1 Pro using a retail upgrade key for Windows XP Pro to Windows 8 Pro x64.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Steve C, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Steve C Win User

Windows XP to Windows 8 to Windows 10?

I originally upgraded from Windows XP Pro to Windows 8 Pro then Windows 8.1 Pro using a retail upgrade key for Windows XP Pro to Windows 8 Pro x64.

Will my upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro activate noting I bought a Windows 8 upgrade key at reduced cost?

:)

Steve C, Sep 6, 2015

2. Windows 10 update causes random swaps of brightness control.

Per the email I got from microsoftanswers, I am replying to this post with an update.

The problem has not been solved. My husband is also reporting the same problem on his laptop (both Acer E15).

This issue seems to be directly related to switching between battery power and electric power. It also occasionally happens if the computer goes into sleep mode and you wake it.

It was suggested that I uninstall the updates to see if that works. That would be a great idea on Windows XP or 7 but here in Windows 10 land Microsoft forces the updates. And since Microsoft no longer provides detailed descriptions of each update my only
    option would be to dedicate hours to removing updates repeatedly in order to isolate the update that is causing the problem. Sorry I just don't have time to trace program bugs for Microsoft.

ready to dump windows, Sep 6, 2015
  3. Windows 10 update causes random swaps of brightness control.

Thank you for responding quickly. However, I have already tried updating the display adapters. It shows I have the most up to date driver.

This is an intermittent problem so I'm not sure which of the many updates is the culprit. The descriptions of the updates are generic and vague. Uninstalling each one and waiting days to see if that fixed the intermittent problem is just too time consuming.
    Since Microsoft now forces updates the update would likely reinstall and put me back into the same situation.

ready to dump windows, Sep 6, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Yes it will activate as your 8.1 is licensed. I upgraded to 10 from 8.1 Pro which I got using the same cheap upgrade key.

lx07, Sep 6, 2015
  5. Joergi Win User
    Yes, if Windows 8.1 is activated currently, then Windows 10 should activate as well.

There are two important things to note:
    First make a backup of your things. Preferably a system image of the C:\ drive. Should things go wrong, you will then easily be able to restore your Windows 8.1 system again.
    Second, when you go to Windows 10, you must do an upgrade. Not a clean install, but an upgrade. That can be done by using that little flag icon, which you see in the taskbar or you can use the Media Creation Tool to do the upgrade. Anyway, you have to start the upgrade from inside your current Windows installation.

Joergi, Sep 6, 2015
  6. Steve C Win User
    Thanks for the advice. I've already been experimenting with Windows 10 using an unactivated version in a VirtualBox VM to confirm my legacy software & drivers will work.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema: