Windows 10: Windows XP under Hyper-V - no network or sound.

Discus and support Windows XP under Hyper-V - no network or sound. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I’m trying to install XP under Hyper-V & although it installs fine I find that the network disconnects immediately & states little or not network, also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bastet, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Bastet Win User

Windows XP under Hyper-V - no network or sound.

I’m trying to install XP under Hyper-V & although it installs fine I find that the network disconnects immediately & states little or not network, also there’s no sound as it says there’s no audio card installed.
    I suspect XP is too old for Hyper-V.
    I require an older version to play some games which are no longer compatible with Windows 10 - even after running compatibility mode.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Bastet, Sep 27, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.

Hi Zazabar, welcome to the Ten Forums.

Hyper-V only supports audio in these two cases:
    • Hyper-V Enhanced Mode > guest must be Windows 8 or later, Windows Server 2012 R2 or later
    • Remote Desktop Connection > all Windows guests, also legacy versions (Windows 7 and earlier)
    For instance I get the audio on my Windows XP Pro virtual machine in Hyper-V when starting it from the Hyper-V Manager, then connecting to it from host using Remote Desktop.

3. MarkY1166 Win User
    Product key for XP not working in Hyper V

But my point is, the CD key I'm entering CAME OFF THE WINDOWS XP disc! ...WHY and how would or could that not be valid , since it came off the actual disc? Plus, why would Hyper V not be compatible with XP, since one of the very purposes of Hyper V is
    to possibly run OLDER OS's thru it, for compatibility testing,etc. Lastly, there are actual step by step tutorials with pictures where guys are using Hyper V to run XP et al on Windows 10, so there's that...

MarkY1166, Sep 27, 2019
  4. Steve C Win User

Issues installing & running Windows XP SP3 in Hyper V

I'm playing around with Windows XP as a VM in Hyper V for reasons I won't go into. I have a bootable Windows XP SP3 CD I created some time ago. I've hit the following issues.

1. I can install XP from the CD but Hyper V seems to want access to the bootable CD whenever the VM is restarted. It would be faster to use an ISO file stored on a SSD. I've tried various ways to create a bootable ISO file from my CD but failed. What's the best way of creating an ISO file which will install XP and run under Hyper V?
    2. I installed a virtual switch using a legacy network adapter but cannot connect the VM to the internet. Has anyone done this and what are the key steps? Is it safe to use XP to connect to internet from Hyper V?
    3. I mounted the VM's .vhdx file to copy over some programs to test but this broke the VM's virtual drive configuration on restarting the VM. What's the best way to transfer files to the VM from elsewhere on my PC?

Steve C, Sep 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows XP under Hyper-V - no network or sound. - Similar Threads - under Hyper network

2. Windows license under hyper-V

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows license under hyper-V: Can I use my computer license, which is a windows 10 pro digital license linked to my Microsoft account, to activate Windows in a virtual machine built under hyper-V in that computer or have-I to buy a new one ?...
  3. Hyper-V Sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V Sound: I have an Android VM running in Hyper-V on Windows 10. I would like to establish at least sound on the Android VM. I have followed the instructions as per https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/58091-use-local-devices-resources-hyper-v-virtual-machine-windows.html without...
  4. Sharing XP Files from Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Sharing XP Files from Hyper-V: I'm running Windows XP on Windows 10 with Hyper-V. How do I share files between XP and the c drive on my physical computer? This was so easy with VPC 2007. 29817
  5. Hyper-V, Windows XP, how to enable sound?

Hyper-V, Windows XP, how to enable sound?: Hi, I just created a virtual machine with Windows XP. Now I'd like to get the sound working in the virtual machine. But I can't see how. Can anyone help, please? 30409
  6. how to open hyper-v's vms networks under sep client?

how to open hyper-v's vms networks under sep client?: How to open hyper-v's vms networks under sep client? I've installed sep client on windows 10 x64 pro, and give hyper-'s external network to hyper-v's virtual machine centos 7 x64 and hyper-'s internal network with bridge to hyper-v's virtual machine windows 8.1....
  7. Hyper-V no sound

Hyper-V no sound: Is there anyway to get sound with the various VM's that I have created in Hyper-V ? I am currently using it in 8.1 Pro. Larry 4927
  8. Hyper-V: Windows XP 64 bit > cannot configure network adapters

Hyper-V: Windows XP 64 bit > cannot configure network adapters: Hello All: I am new to Hyper-V, so please pardon any stupid question(s) . . . I have researched this but do not seem to be able to pin down my problem. I have set up the virtual machine with a legacy network adapter but it does not work (tried the other way as well and...
  9. Display Drivers for XP Not working in Hyper-V

Display Drivers for XP Not working in Hyper-V: Hello Everyone! Thank you a head of time for you time and efforts! THE QUESTION: How do I fix my display drivers in XP in my win10 Hyper-v virtual machine? WHAT HAPPENED: Installed XP in Hyper-V (Win10). For some reason now the display drivers are not installing....
  10. Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.

Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.: I have them both set up, but I don't seem to have any options to enable any sound in the hardware section of Hyper-V. Is it not possible to use these operating systems with sound? I used to use Windows Virtual PC 2007 and sound worked perfectly on those, both on 98 and XP....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyper-v vm sound support for winxp

2. no network card in windows xp in the hyper v windows 10

3. window xp vm under hyperv not connecting to internet

4. windows xp mode no sound