Windows 10: Windows10 1903 upgrade changed my system drive from SSD to an old spinner

Discus and support Windows10 1903 upgrade changed my system drive from SSD to an old spinner in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Upgraded to Windows 10 1903 April. I had a Samsung 970EVO SSD as C: system drive and an older WD HDD as D: with an older Windows 10 install,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by geoilie, Aug 7, 2019.

1. geoilie Win User

Windows10 1903 upgrade changed my system drive from SSD to an old spinner

Hi,

Upgraded to Windows 10 1903 April.

I had a Samsung 970EVO SSD as C: system drive and an older WD HDD as D: with an older Windows 10 install, pictures, movies, etc.

After the upgrade my SSD became A: and my HDD became C: and system drive.

It seems that Windows upgraded the older instance and now my computer boots and runs from the old HDD, which stays at 100% usage.

What can I do?

:)

geoilie, Aug 7, 2019

2. BOOT-DRIVE CHANGE FOR WINDOWS10

IF I CHANGE MY PRESENT BOOT DRIVE TO A NEW SSD AND FORMAT WITH WINDOWS10 DVD AND USED AS MAIN BOOT DRIVE , THEN IS THERE ANY CHANCE TO VOID ACTIVATION??

PLEASE HELP.... I WANT TO UPGRADE MECHANICAL HDD TO AN SSD.

THANKS

amit330679, Aug 7, 2019
  3. Upgrading laptop hard drive to ssd

I'm upgrading my old Asus Q200e laptop's hard drive to a PNY SSD http://www.pny.com/ssd-cs2111?sku=SSD7CS2111-240-RB , following this tutorial. (As an aside, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 due to a slight slowdown in boot times.) Aside from using different products than the ones listed in the tutorial, I've followed every step to the letter.

However, when I swapped out the HDD with the SSD, the computer does not recognize the new SSD as the boot drive. Instead, upon turning on the machine, the system goes into a strange BIOS-esque utility called "Aptio Setup Utility" that doesn't list the SSD at all. It does, however, list the boot manager from the old HDD I have plugged into a hard drive USB enclosure. I've tried looking up the answer online to no avail.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Charlie Gao, Aug 7, 2019
  4. WesKlatt Win User

Upgrading HP SSD drive on HP 750-524

I purchased an HP Envy tower with a 128Gb SSD which is where Windows is installed, I have purchased a new 1TB SSD drive that I would like to replace the 128 GB drive with. My machine did not come with the Windows 10 Media, what steps do I need to take before
    I install the new drive and install windows.

• Where do I get the Windows 10 install
    • What steps are needed to create an Install disk
    • Do I have to deactivate my old install before removing the old drive.
    Please let me know if there are any other considerations.

Best Regards,

Wes

WesKlatt, Aug 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows10 1903 upgrade changed my system drive from SSD to an old spinner - Similar Threads - Windows10 1903 upgrade

2. Upgrading to Windows Pro from an old SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading to Windows Pro from an old SSD.: I bought a laptop a few months ago after my desktop's stopped working and it is now collecting dust. Now I want to use one of Windows Pro features because of the limiting factor of Home edition.I figured I wanted to upgrade the laptop from Windows Home to Windows Pro edition...
  3. Upgraded from SSD to M2 drive

Upgraded from SSD to M2 drive: I just Upgraded from SSD to M2 drive on my windows 10 Pro system. I cloned my windows to it. Are there any special settings etc to make the M2 run as fast as they say they can? So far I don't see an improvement. Windows 10 Pro with all the latest updates 32 GB of DDR 5 ram...
  4. Non SSD's (Spinners) and Bit rot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Non SSD's (Spinners) and Bit rot: Hi folks I've seen it mentioned on a few 'Nix Forums but never on Windows - but with say older HDD's (spinners) are they liable to Bit Rot. The reason I'm asking this is that on discussions of various file systems it appears that some of the newer file systems are resilient...
  5. how to change boot drive to ssd drive from system drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change boot drive to ssd drive from system drive: My widows 10 computer crashed and would not boot. I lost my recovery disk and borrowed one from my spouse. Her system booted from a system drive while my system booted from a SSD drive. After recovering my computer, it no longer boots from the SSD drive. What is the best...
  6. windows10 1903 system requirements

windows10 1903 system requirements: hi all, can anyone share the windows 10 1903 full system requirements for good permanence. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows10-1903-system-requirements/087c7794-aa1d-4e9b-bad1-7cbe0338e604
  7. 1903 upgrade crashed system: "noosinstalled", but it is, drive D:

1903 upgrade crashed system: "noosinstalled", but it is, drive D:: Gang I think this is an easy problem but I so far have not figured it out after reading through a bunch of threads, using command line repairs to boot record etc. I THINK part of the issue is that when i put my Windows 10 USB drive in, boot, select repair, go to command line,...
  8. Windows10 version 1903 upgrade errors

Windows10 version 1903 upgrade errors: I'm have an HP Spectre x360-15 running HP-installed Windows 10 Home 64 bit, version 1809. Microsoft pushed an update to me this morning for 1903. When I tried to run it, as suggested, from Media Creation Tool I received the error message: "This machine can't run Windows 10....
  9. VM - run on SSD or Spinner?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VM - run on SSD or Spinner?: Hello, Have a laptop with both SSD and HDD and will be running at least a couple of VMs simultaneously most of the time. Was wondering if for optimal performance - SSD life + Performance of VMs - should it matter if I run these VMs on SSD? or should I run them in...
  10. ssd upgrade clone from multiboot system

ssd upgrade clone from multiboot system: Help anyone? I have a win7 / win10 dual boot system, win 7 on a hdd, win 10 is on ssd, bootmgr is on win 7 drive, now I want to clone win 10 to a bigger ssd but tools I have tried failed with message 'boot volume and system need to be on same drive' how can I get win 10 to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 1903 homegroup