Windows 10: Windows10 black screen with spinning wheel

Discus and support Windows10 black screen with spinning wheel in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Last night 12/12/2020 I “Update and Shutdown” my HP laptop before I went to bed. Got up this morning and the screen is black with the spinning wagon... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NormanEichelberger, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Windows10 black screen with spinning wheel

Last night 12/12/2020 I “Update and Shutdown” my HP laptop before I went to bed. Got up this morning and the screen is black with the spinning wagon wheel. It appears it is stuck in the update. I’m afraid to CTL-ALT-DEL while it’s updating as I know this can cause corruption of the update. HELP!

:)

NormanEichelberger, Dec 13, 2020
  2. snhnic Win User

Update 1607 black screen with spinning wheel

<p>trying to update to anniversary update! Fail seeing black screen with spinning wheel! Even with iso media creation and not remembering files apps!&nbsp;</p>

snhnic, Dec 13, 2020
  3. Update 1607 black screen with spinning wheel

Amazing when a small clue is given. Thank you Simkyn.C.

Anniversary Update, fixed install failure and revert to previous version, loop.

Unplugged wireless mouse receiver during update install at “black screen with spinning wheel”.

Manual update download, indicated W10 running Ver. 10586, latest version 14393.

On Dell laptop, tried to update by MS Auto Update, also by manual download update. Kept getting black screen with spinning wheel after download of update and after update process has run quite a long time.
    Tried 5 times (yes I was very, very patient), left it run like that for three days at least one try. Also tried some other fixes. Did not help. After each try and a very long wait (many hours) on the black screen, I shut down by holding down the power
    button, restarted (sometimes required a second power down and restart after it again hit the black screen with spinning wheel), then it auto reverted to previous version (may take about 30 minutes to an hour or more).

The next try was a repeat with black screen with spinning wheel. After about 18 hours I unplugged the wireless mouse receiver. The screen came alive indicating “Working on updates 75%” and continued from there after a few minutes. The update
    finished installing.

The wireless mouse was not recognized at all when the receiver was plugged back in. Left it plugged in with mouse power turned on. Touchpad did work.

Did Restart and the blue shutdown screen indicated “Restarting’’ with the spinning wheel above it.
    After about 5 minutes screen indicated something like: “Your PC ran into a problem …, We’ll collect errors … and restart.
    xx%”, then plain black screen for a minute or so, then “Please wait” with
    spinning wheel above it.

Log-on screen appeared and mouse was working. Logged on, and “appears” to work OK.

Start, Windows Administrative Tools, System Information, now indicates Microsoft Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.14393, Build 14393.

Updates status after clicked Check for Updates, indicate updates for HP Printers, Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64 based Systems (KB3176936), and Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64 based Systems (KB3188128).
    Updates Auto-downloaded and installed. Update History indicated all three Successfully installed on 10/4/2016.

A second check for updates indicated up to date.

Restarted normally (normal for W10?) and OK.

During the initial W7 to W10 upgrade, I believe there was a recommendation to unplug USB devices.

Hope all this helps someone else.

David-Weed, Dec 13, 2020
  4. ktharper Win User

Windows10 black screen with spinning wheel

Update 1607 black screen with spinning wheel

We had three HP Compaq business 6300 units with windows 10 pro, that got stuck with the spinning black wheel, which it turned out was not a wheel of death, because as soon as we removed the Logitech USB wireless mouse dongle, the upgrade proceeded with
    needing a reboot. After the logon screen showed up, just plug in the Wireless mouse and keyboard transmitter .

ktharper, Dec 13, 2020
Thema:

Windows10 black screen with spinning wheel

1. Windows10 black screen with spinning wheel - Similar Threads - Windows10 black screen

2. Computer takes about 5 minutes to boot up with a black screen and spinning wheel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer takes about 5 minutes to boot up with a black screen and spinning wheel: Hi,Im having an issue where when I turn my computer on or restart it it seems like its starting up normally but then sits with a black screen with a spinning white wheel for about 5 minutes before getting to the login screen see video. It doesnt give me any error codes or...
  3. Computer takes about 5 minutes to boot up with a black screen and spinning wheel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer takes about 5 minutes to boot up with a black screen and spinning wheel: Hi,Im having an issue where when I turn my computer on or restart it it seems like its starting up normally but then sits with a black screen with a spinning white wheel for about 5 minutes before getting to the login screen see video. It doesnt give me any error codes or...
  4. Windows spinning wheel of death

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows spinning wheel of death: My brother recently let his acer laptop do an automatic update and ever since it will turn on to the start up page but sits at the spinning wheel constantly. It's in a loop and won't start up. I can get it to do "preparing automatic repair" but there are no options and screen...
  5. Windows spinning wheel of death

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows spinning wheel of death: My brother recently let his acer laptop do an automatic update and ever since it will turn on to the start up page but sits at the spinning wheel constantly. It's in a loop and won't start up. I can get it to do "preparing automatic repair" but there are no options and screen...
  6. Microsoft Rewards Spinning Wheel

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Rewards Spinning Wheel: Is the Microsoft Rewards Spinning Wheel a scam or no? I spent 10,000 points on it and all I got was a measly 50 points. I mean, do I have to spend 1,000,000 points to get the Laptop???...
  7. Windows 10 Cumulative Update - Black Screen Spinning Wheel Pre-login

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Cumulative Update - Black Screen Spinning Wheel Pre-login: HI all, Looking for some help with an issue with Cumulative Updates on Windows 10 for a random selection of machines. Basically we have a selection of 100s out of 1000s of Windows 10 machines with different hardware models and OS versions that black screen on reboot...
  8. spinning blue wheel

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    spinning blue wheel: this spinning blue wheel is driving me nuts is there an easy way for someone who is not computer literate to stop it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spinning-blue-wheel/6bf4d66d-141a-4c49-8ae9-bf791341df8f"
  9. Prolonged Spinning wheel on blank and black screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Prolonged Spinning wheel on blank and black screen: Hi Microsoft, I am experiencing the following problem: The windows fails to restart as expected. It gets stuck on a black and blank screen where only a dotted spinning wheel is seen at the bottom. This appears next to the default ALIENWARE boot screen that loads after...
  10. Stuck on configure with spinning wheel

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck on configure with spinning wheel: Update stuck on spinning wheel following download of drivers etc and after copying files. Black screen with blue logo and continuos spinning wheel. 11811