Windows 10: Windows10 BSOD, detected memory issues only on dual channels

Discus and support Windows10 BSOD, detected memory issues only on dual channels in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I’ve been getting frequent BSODs in Windows10 for some time now (Linux is running ok), and after a clean reinstall I still got them. I’ve decided... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Adollf_Hipster, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Windows10 BSOD, detected memory issues only on dual channels

Hi,

I’ve been getting frequent BSODs in Windows10 for some time now (Linux is running ok), and after a clean reinstall I still got them. I’ve decided to do a memory check (per this guide ) and the tool only detects memory issues when both RAM sticks are inserted.

When any individual stick is in any slot there are no problems detected. Only when both sticks are inserted, either its the 0-2 slots or the 1-3 slots on the MOBO.

Any thoughts on that could be the problem? Maybe a faulty MOBO? There is no longer any OC on the CPU, but until one month ago I was running a pretty low OC of 200MHz over standard (i5 8600k), but right when I got the new CPU I was testing around with the max OC possible, could this have anything to do with the problems? Again, no OC is currently on the system while doing the memcheck.

Any feedback is appreciated.

submitted by /u/Adollf_Hipster
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Adollf_Hipster, Aug 30, 2020
  2. AddRAM Win User

What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?

Dual channel is always better then single.

RAM Performance Benchmark: Single-Channel vs. Dual-Channel - Does It Matter? | Gamers Nexus - Gaming PC Builds Hardware Benchmarks

Dual-channel vs. Single-channel, does it matter? - The NUC Blog

What's your memory assessment speed? - Windows 7 Help Forums

As others have said, it`s all in your head, the only way to prove it is to run winsat mem with 1 stick in single channel then 2 sticks in dual channel.

As far as booting from a usb stick, you have to choose it in the one time boot menu (not the bios) unless you go into the bios and list usb as the first boot option (you do not want to do that)

My settings

1) DVD drive
    2) Boot drive
    3) Disable
    4) Disable

etc
    etc
    etc

Any time you want to deviate just use the boot menu, as mentioned Windows10 BSOD, detected memory issues only on dual channels :)

For example, If you want to boot into a Linux distro on a flash drive, just follow the above rule.

AddRAM, Aug 30, 2020
  3. Gusgf Win User
    single channel ddr3 vs dual channel ddr3

I've got two 10 year old laptops and I'm upgrading the memory to 8GB. On Speccy it's currently reporting the RAM as

HP: DDR3 Single channel PC3-12800, 2 slots both used
    Toshiba: DDR3 Dual channel PC3-10700 2 slots one used

I'm confused so please correct me if I am making the correct assertions below. BTW I'm buying the ram secondhand off of Ebay and not buying from e.g. Crucial as too expensive otherwise I would use their memory wizard and be done:

ASSERTIONS:
    1. The HP has a single channel memory architecture on the MB but the Toshiba has dual channel architecture on it's MB.
    2. Any DDR3 SODIMM will work so I could use PC3-12800 on either laptop using a 2 x 4GB config.
    3. Dual and single channel refers to the MB design and not the physical structure of the memory sticks. But if the memory sticks are labelled dual channel it means that they are designed to work with second paired memory stick in the appropriate channel.

Many thanks for any help in setting me straight if reqd Windows10 BSOD, detected memory issues only on dual channels :)

Gusgf, Aug 30, 2020
  4. evil bill Win User

Windows10 BSOD, detected memory issues only on dual channels

OCZ DDR2 800 - Dual Channel mode wrong?

The P5KC manual is quite unclear on this.

Page 2-14 says that for DDR2 module installation, Channel A is sockets DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2 and Channel B is Sockets DIMM_B1 and DIMM_B2. This ties in with what you are saying.

However, the next page lists memory configuartions for Single and Dual Channel and it clearly state that for Dual Channel (1) you should use A_1 and B_1. This is what I had, but I tried A_2 and B_2 as well.

I will giveyour suggestion try though - thanks

EDIT - As I suspected, that put it into Single Channel mode and really affected performance noticably

evil bill, Aug 30, 2020
Thema:

Windows10 BSOD, detected memory issues only on dual channels

1. Windows10 BSOD, detected memory issues only on dual channels - Similar Threads - Windows10 BSOD detected

2. Memory Issues and BSoD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Memory Issues and BSoD: Hi Guys,I upgraded my CPU from 5700G to 5950x. Got a 4070Ti and also ASUS Loki 1000W.I was getting some CPU related logs after 3-4 months of usage. I did all clean fresh reset and install but then I started getting Memory Check Exception and restarts.I'm not able to debug the...
  3. Random BSOD when shutting down, no memory issue detected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random BSOD when shutting down, no memory issue detected: Good morning! I am having a hard time finding anything specific for my situation and hoping someone here can help. I have random blue screens when clicking on "shut down". It does NOT happen every time, in fact, the last two were a week apart. From what I saw online when...
  4. Windows crashes when using dual channel memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows crashes when using dual channel memory: Yup, the title is the problem. If I use windows with my RAM in dual channel it has a higher chance to crash where in single-channel both sticks perform good. I don't understand why this is happening. Does anyone know?...
  5. Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel: Hey everyone, I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of. Asus p7p55d pro Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7 Dual Channel Nvidia GT 1030 Lately my PC has been unstable and crashed twice over the last 24 hours which never happened in...
  6. Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel

in Windows 10 Support
    Faulty Memory RAMs in Dual Channel but no errors in Single Channel: Hey everyone, I've got a situation with my old rig I couldn't make sense of. Asus p7p55d pro Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz 2 x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz CAS 7-7-7 Dual Channel Nvidia GT 1030 Lately my PC has been unstable and crashed twice over the last 24 hours which never happened in...
  7. BSOD Dual Channel.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Dual Channel.: I only got BSOD's when i'm using both of my memories, and they are the same. I tested one stick at a time, and got no BSOD. Ryzen 2200G Prime A320M-K/BR Corsair Vengeance 2X4 GB 2400MHZ HD 1 TB Seagate 117629
  8. MIC IN is detecting only one channel and inputting 2 channel Mono

MIC IN is detecting only one channel and inputting 2 channel Mono: Win 10 x64 Dell Inspiron desktop PC I have a cassette player connected to the PC via an RCA to Stereo Plug cord. I have been moving audio from cassettes to the system via Audacity with this. I thought I heard something strange during a recording and pulled the Right channel...
  9. Dual Channel Mode

Dual Channel Mode: What exactly does this mean? Is it the processor and memory combined? I am looking at a laptop for light coding and to use a particular flight simulation program that is just now in Early Access! This and World of Warships are basically the only games I play. Flight Sim...
  10. What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?

What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?: Is 2 slots of memory in performance better than 1 slot using the same amount of RAM, e.g., 1 x 16 GBs of DDR3 Laptop Memory or 2 x 8 GB of DDR3? I think I know the obvious, 1 x 16 GB in 1 slot, correct? Also, I have seen some lower ended laptops - say with just a skylake...