Windows 10: windows10 crashes when writing to external drive

Discus and support windows10 crashes when writing to external drive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; As a result of MS latest update, my laptop will crash blue screen when attempting to write a USB external drive. tried a new external drive different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by zztopXP, Oct 24, 2020.

1. zztopXP Win User

windows10 crashes when writing to external drive

As a result of MS latest update, my laptop will crash blue screen when attempting to write a USB external drive. tried a new external drive different USB slots same result. problem clears after rolling back to the previous release. process of elimination clearly ponts to MS latest update

:)

zztopXP, Oct 24, 2020

2. Gettign error "device is write protected" for External Hard drive in Windows 10

Hello Neil,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

Are you getting the same error when you access the External Hard drive on another computers?

When you see the message "Device is Write Protected", then it indicates that you have limited set of privileges for performing operation on the Hard disk. In simple, you're not allowed to write the drive, apart from reading it. This because the drive is
    write-protected. Suggest you to try with the below steps and check it they help you.

1. Right-click on Start button and select Command Prompt(Admin).

2. Type diskpart and press Enter.

3. Now type list volume and press Enter. Now see the volume number the external drive.

4. Then type select volume #, where # is the number of the drive which is showing "write-protected" error. Example,
    select volume 3.

5. Type attributes disk clear readonly and press Enter.

• Executing the above command line will reset the Hard drive USB's properties by clearing the Read-Only behavior, so that it is no longer read-only.
    6. Type exit and press Enter. Now check if it allows you do access the drive for writing the content.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Oct 24, 2020
  3. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Oct 24, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

1. windows10 crashes when writing to external drive - Similar Threads - windows10 crashes writing

2. Pc with windows10 does not recognize external USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc with windows10 does not recognize external USB drive: I have a desktop pc with windows10. When I plug is a USB external drive to a USB port the pc does sees the drive but no drive letter. I have to go in disk management to assign a drive letter, than I can access what is on the desk top USB drive. I can not seem to find a...
  3. Pc with windows10 does not recognize external USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc with windows10 does not recognize external USB drive: I have a desktop pc with windows10. When I plug is a USB external drive to a USB port the pc does sees the drive but no drive letter. I have to go in disk management to assign a drive letter, than I can access what is on the desk top USB drive. I can not seem to find a...
  4. External Hard Drive Write-Protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Write-Protected: I am trying to use my external hard drive on my Windows 11 machine, but it says it is write-protected now all of a sudden. I tried some of the fixes online uncheck read-only in properties, regedit, diskpart, sfc scan, & chdisk, but they didn't work. Any USB I plug in is also...
  5. External Hard Drive Write-Protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Write-Protected: I am trying to use my external hard drive on my Windows 11 machine, but it says it is write-protected now all of a sudden. I tried some of the fixes online uncheck read-only in properties, regedit, diskpart, sfc scan, & chdisk, but they didn't work. Any USB I plug in is also...
  6. Cannot suddenly write to all External Seagate drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot suddenly write to all External Seagate drives: I have been using these drives for years, but today have the error. All software is up to date..This has strangely happened to all 4 external drives, there are no protected files, nor storage issues.Properties of folders in these external drives are "read only" and I have...
  7. Windows 10 crashes when writing to external USB storage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 crashes when writing to external USB storage: This issue started sometime last year after a Windows update. Plugging in external USB storage would crash Windows. Rolling back to the previous Windows update resolved the issue and I postponed further updates for as long as possible. At some point early this year Windows...
  8. Increase the read / write speed of an external hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Increase the read / write speed of an external hard drive: Hello, I appealed to the Microsoft community to ask for your opinion on increasing the read / write speed of an external hard drive. Thank you! Wait for response! A good day!...
  9. Dual boot computer, only windows10 can write on a drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot computer, only windows10 can write on a drive: I'm using windows and linux on my pc, however only windows can write on a specific drive. How do I change it so that linux can freely write on that drive too and edit existing files? submitted by /u/arkindal [link] [comments]...
  10. External Drive crashes PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Drive crashes PC: I have this 1,5 terabyte external HDD I had to reinstall windows and Now every time i try to use it and plug it in it crashes the computer or my PC just freezes I was hop das any one know any software to delete or format the HDD during windows boot ? Before getting into...