Windows 10: Windows10 feature upgrade 20H2 did not allow reversion option

Discus and support Windows10 feature upgrade 20H2 did not allow reversion option in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Background Feature upgrades seem to have a habit of breaking things, usually attached devices. So when I installed win10 earlier this year I created a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Davidk, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Davidk Win User

Windows10 feature upgrade 20H2 did not allow reversion option

Background
    Feature upgrades seem to have a habit of breaking things, usually attached devices. So when I installed win10 earlier this year I created a checklist to check that all the attached devices I use still work, to be run as soon as possible after any feature upgrade was done. Part of the checklist is a check on the reversion option . . . which I have had to use previously.

As a further precaution, I don't upgrade a feature for several months after the upgrade is released - got burnt too many times with prior versions of windows upgrading immediately and then finding there is a bug in it all - that I wait a month or 3 after release (so that the obvious bugs are caught by the eager early adopters, and fixed before the mainstream gets going) before doing it.

What happened with 20H2?
    It was generally released in mid Oct 20? I upgraded to 20H2 after 2 monthly patches (nov and dec) on18 Dec. Checking the reversion option, it was not allowed - because it said I'd installed 20H2 on 1 Sep 20 and the 10 day option had elapsed. Several screenshots here:
    - the feature upgrade completed details page, which actually has the date of upgrade in the page. I marked it up with the reversion not allowed item. My aim in marking it this way is to expose the dates of upgrade and that reversion should have been allowed.
    - the windows version page, which gives the 20H2 upgrade date of 1 Sep 20 - which was the date I upgraded to 20H1 or 2004

So clearly the left and right hand of this 20H2 feature upgrade don't talk to each other. I've feedbacked'd it, but since there isn't ANY mechanism to attach images without going thru an extensive privacy-invading list, I just said a) there should be a way to attach images without that, and b) there were images available if MS wanted them.

Any thoughts on why this snafu happened??? And how to avoid it again?

:)

Davidk, Dec 21, 2020
  2. Davidk Win User

Background
    Feature upgrades seem to have a habit of breaking things, usually attached devices. So when I installed win10 earlier this year I created a checklist to check that all the attached devices I use still work, to be run as soon as possible after any feature upgrade was done. Part of the checklist is a check on the reversion option . . . which I have had to use previously.

As a further precaution, I don't upgrade a feature for several months after the upgrade is released - got burnt too many times with prior versions of windows upgrading immediately and then finding there is a bug in it all - that I wait a month or 3 after release (so that the obvious bugs are caught by the eager early adopters, and fixed before the mainstream gets going) before doing it.

What happened with 20H2?
    It was generally released in mid Oct 20? I upgraded to 20H2 after 2 monthly patches (nov and dec) on18 Dec. Checking the reversion option, it was not allowed - because it said I'd installed 20H2 on 1 Sep 20 and the 10 day option had elapsed. Several screenshots here:
    - the feature upgrade completed details page, which actually has the date of upgrade in the page. I marked it up with the reversion not allowed item. My aim in marking it this way is to expose the dates of upgrade and that reversion should have been allowed.
    - the windows version page, which gives the 20H2 upgrade date of 1 Sep 20 - which was the date I upgraded to 20H1 or 2004

So clearly the left and right hand of this 20H2 feature upgrade don't talk to each other. I've feedbacked'd it, but since there isn't ANY mechanism to attach images without going thru an extensive privacy-invading list, I just said a) there should be a way to attach images without that, and b) there were images available if MS wanted them.

Any thoughts on why this snafu happened??? And how to avoid it again?

Davidk, Dec 21, 2020
  3. Plankton Win User

I agree.....and don't understand MS position in this matter. What I do know is; MS has a bad habit of this kind of stuff for what ever reason they have for doing it. Where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Which makes it so freaking hard to do the simplist of tasks. I found that it mainly happens with every OS upgrade....going all the way back to XP.

Since then...I do like you do and wait 3 months for the OS upgrade to work itself out with the bug fixes and patchs......then I do a clean install. As time and time again users experience horrific OS upgrades.

Plankton, Dec 21, 2020
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

Optional Feature History Windows10

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which version of Windows is currently installed on the system?

Developer mode will be installed on the system, if it is enabled in the Settings. Let us go ahead and check the settings to turn off Developer Features.

1. Navigate to Settings > Update and Security > For developer.
    2. Under Use developer features
      check if Developer mode is checked, Select Sideload Apps from the options, and Developer mode will get unchecked automatically.
    3. After this steps, check for Windows update, and all the features should be installed automatically.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with answers to the question above.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows10 feature upgrade 20H2 did not allow reversion option - Similar Threads - Windows10 feature upgrade

2. Landscape Reverse no longer an option?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Landscape Reverse no longer an option?: I’m running a teleprompter and have an external display. There use to be a landscape reverse mode in orientation, but that is gone. Alt keys also don’t work. Running Asus Republic of Gamers laptop with a Navidia graphics card and i7 processor. submitted by /u/Spardan80...
  3. IsInstallable / IsInstalled rules for 20H2 Feature upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    IsInstallable / IsInstalled rules for 20H2 Feature upgrade: What are the rules for detecting 20H2 feature update?I have a machine with 20H2 installed. But it keeps reporting to MEMCM, that it is 20H1 and needs to upgrade every day - including reboot prompt.I even installed 21H1 yesterday manually - successfully! The next update...
  4. 20H2 ISO , Windows10 ?

20H2 ISO , Windows10 ?: . 1511, 1607, 1709, 1803 20H2 .PMS 20H2 ISO ISO . , Windows 10 1511, 1607, 1709, 1803, 1909 20H2 ISO ? .. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/20h2%EB%A1%9C/2d500ac2-21b6-469b-ac5d-4e101da1224d
  5. RSAT and all other optional features missing in 20H2

RSAT and all other optional features missing in 20H2: I'm looking to enable RSAT as described in various places using Settings/Apps & Features/Optional Features.When I open Optional Features then click Add a Feature, the window is completely empty of any options, as shown below in the first screenshot.Clicking on "More Windows...
  6. how to reverse "open with" option

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to reverse "open with" option: Recently I went to delete a cursor file that I added into the folder but accidentally opened it with paint.net. Now all of the files have the paint.net option on them and I can't view the image of each of the cursors. Is there a way for me to revert it back to how it was...
  7. How to install Media Feature Pack on 20H2 if Store is not allowed?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How to install Media Feature Pack on 20H2 if Store is not allowed?: Accidentally my admin installed Windows "N" onto my laptop years ago. Until now I didn't have any problem, because I could download the Media Feature Pack and install it. Last week I upgraded from 1909 to 20H2 and some videos stopped working. If I go to Apps & features ->...
  8. Windows10 feature upgrade 20H2 did not allow reversion option

Windows10 feature upgrade 20H2 did not allow reversion option: Background Feature upgrades seem to have a habit of breaking things, usually attached devices. So when I installed win10 earlier this year I created a checklist to check that all the attached devices I use still work, to be run as soon as possible after any feature upgrade...
  9. Option to upgrade to 20H2 is not present in 1903

Option to upgrade to 20H2 is not present in 1903: Greetings, I am currently trying to upgrade my machine to the latest October update 20H2 from my 1903 This is a Windows 10 Enterprise but the option to do so isn't available from what I can see I have tried using the Windows 10 Update assistant as well but says that I am...
  10. Optional Feature History Windows10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Optional Feature History Windows10: My computer shows windows developer mode installed 11/13/18 and Hello face recognition A and B uninstalled 5/31/18. I didn't do any of these actions for one and the history is for the last seven days? Why would that be?...