Windows 10: Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up

Discus and support Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have been using File History Backup ever since Windows10 was introduced. I just checked the last backup, and see it was Jan 1, 2018 - seams to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ALN, Feb 11, 2018.

1. ALN
    ALN Win User

Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up

I have been using File History Backup ever since Windows10 was introduced. I just checked the last backup, and see it was Jan 1, 2018 - seams to have stopped working as of then, and don't know how to get it going again. I have it set to back up Daily and to keep History for 1 month.

I noticed that it backed up in the wee hours of the morning, and I do power off every night. Might this be the issue? Also wonder if there is a way to know that the backup running successfully.

Here are the settings

Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up [​IMG]

Running Windows 10 Pro, V. 1709, Build 16299.192

:)

2. backing up file history

backing up file history

fussellthomas, Feb 11, 2018
  3. backing up file history

how do I back up file history on usb

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup **

fussellthomas, Feb 11, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

When did you get the update to Fall Creators Update, version 1709? Was that on or just after 1st Jan.?

Several of us have reported that File History stopped after the update to 1709. Changing the settings and setting it up again seemed to fix it.

File History to be removed?

5. ALN
    ALN Win User
    Actually I have no idea when I got the Fall Creators Update. But I will try changing the settings and see if that takes care of it.

Thanks for your reply!

6. Bree New Member
    If you got it through Windows Update it should tell you in the update history. I manually installed 1709 and file history stopped from that date on until I noticed and re set its settings. Has worked reliably ever since.

7. Not sure when the "Daily" backups runs but as far as I know, no backup will run when the machine is power off. I would think it would retry once the machine is powered on.

Have you always powered off your device? (and by power of I mean shutdown)

Caledon Ken, Feb 12, 2018
  8. Steve C Win User

File History can be temperamental. My fix for when it stops backing up is below.
    • Stop FH
    • Delete the FH config files at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration
    • Restart FH and select to use the same backup drive as before

Steve C, Feb 12, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    No, I've never been able to spot any pattern, it seems to depend on whether there have been any changes to the files being backed up. I have had backups roughly every 2-3 days (which would fit with how often my files change).

File History is very much my third line of defence, I have other backup regimes but leave File History on as a last resort - I just 'set and forget' it. It's pointing to a network share, so there's never any issue with the history drive being available.

As such I seldom check on its progress. Mine is set for 'Daily', looking today, I see the last five backups (out of 179) were...

12 Feb. 20:57
    09 Feb. 21:42
    06 Feb. 19:47
    06 Feb. 14:48
    02 Feb. 12:12

There's a gap of one month in the history, from when I updated to 1709 in mid-October until I set it up again in mid-November. Prior to that there are regular backups every other day or so, back to the first on 14 Nov 2016 11:35.

10. ALN
    ALN Win User
    Thanks for that info! I have 2 computers, File History stopped working on both. 1709 was installed on one late Dec and on the other Jan 1 - about the time FH stopped working. So looks like 1709 is the culprit. I took your advice and re-set the settings, and looks like FH is working again. Thanks for your help!

11. Bree New Member
    *Thumbs

Mine's worked reliably since I reset it.

12. ALN
    ALN Win User
    Yes, I power off (almost) every night. Agree that it must re-try as soon as it is turned back on.

13. ALN
    ALN Win User

Steve. Thanks for the info! Since re-setting the Options in FH seems to have fixed it, I plan to leave well enough alone. But will definitely try your suggestion if it quits working again.

On a more general question: Is there a better Auto Backup application than File History? I don't care about historical versions of any files - only current version in case my hard drive fails. I prefer it to be on my external hard drive (not cloud), and free is always good!

14. Caledon Ken, Feb 12, 2018
  15. ALN
    ALN Win User
Thema:

1. Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up - Similar Threads - Windows10 File History

2. Error Backing Up with File History

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error Backing Up with File History: I have just started the first backup yesterday. It worked fine, but now I removed two folders from the backup set and now when I try to back up I get this error....
  3. Back up using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Back up using File History: Hi thereI have a portable Samsung external hard drive attached to my computer which I use for backup purposes.However File History does not recognise it as a usable drive. When I click on 'add a drive' in Back Up it says 'no usable drives found'. How can I make it recognise...
  4. File History back up not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History back up not working: Hi, Firstly, does any one know if Windows 10 Back up File History remains a focus for the Windows team? The UI is kinda clunky to say the least. I have been trying to use Back up but haven't had any success. If I right click on FileHistory on the external drive and choose...
  5. Backing up using File History

Backing up using File History: If I back up using File History to an external storage, will it erase the existing data on the external storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backing-up-using-file-history/4126a239-ea5d-4b3d-84be-7a8dca371d5b
  6. File History Back Up Stopped Working

File History Back Up Stopped Working: My File History Back up has stopped working. I have disconnected and reconnected my external back up drive and restarted my computer. When I ask it to do a back up NOW it says it's doing it but nothing happens and it then says "Your data is not yet back up". How do I get...
  7. back up vs. file history

back up vs. file history: Win 10 back up/ file history https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-vs-file-history/caea7853-64bd-4aba-bbc6-8799cc5e64d3
  8. File history back up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File history back up.: Hi, when I back up file history to an external drive it does not save my picture library. I have used different drives but no pictures are saved. I do have a one drive account as well but would love to get my pictures on an external drive just in case. Any ideas? Cheers,...
  9. Back-up and File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Back-up and File History: I use Windows 10 Back-up and I swap between 2 Passport Drives every month so as to put one at a time safely away from the PC. Trouble is, whenever I Add A Drive, the default settings are Back Up Hourly and Keep Forever. And to back up folders I never use like Saved Games and...
  10. File history/ Back-up

File history/ Back-up: I accidentally deleted my recovery partition and now I get an error saying check back-up settings. How can I re-install? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-back-up/83dfd074-f1b6-4cfc-8d02-4e0945a155de