Windows 10: Windows10 fresh install from ISO process completely different than previous

Discus and support Windows10 fresh install from ISO process completely different than previous in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I am currently helping my mother out by trying to freshen up a 6 year old laptop that had just gotten very slow, so I have replaced the HDD with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AaronWillmott, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Windows10 fresh install from ISO process completely different than previous

Hi, I am currently helping my mother out by trying to freshen up a 6 year old laptop that had just gotten very slow, so I have replaced the HDD with a new SSD. Laptop previously running Windows 10, but an upgraded product from Windows 8.

My issue is that during this install, the process is completely different than the other 10 times I have used the same ISO on a USB.

Jumped straight to Cortana, could not continue without a Microsoft accountuntil I disconnected from the internet and went back and wiped the SSD again, still straight to Cortana but this time with the option to continue to create a local account and connect to the internet later.

Then when I finally got through and proceeded to check if the activation had been transferred and looking to do all the updates, I noticed that the Version was already 2004.At this point i had not connected to the networkvia ethernet and I have completely wiped out all wifi in my home until I can deal with a local hacker, so that cant be it either.

My questions are:

1. How can the initial install process be different on an old ISO?

2. How is it possible that the Version was 2004 straight away when it wasnt out when I downloaded the ISO?

3. Is Microsoft going to continue to go down the Apple path and be logged into the big brother and have everything watched and controlled?

At this point, I would rather have to deal with issues on 10 computers spread out in the family using Linux insteadsince I'm the only one computer literate, than deal with this continuos push to generally remove all freedom and privacy from from what should be a personal computer, not part of a corporate network watched by the IT departmentin this case Microsoft intergrating eyes and ears directly into the source code

:)

AaronWillmott, Dec 29, 2020
  2. IINexusII Win User

The Vista SP2 install thread

kept crashing on the last step when i used the installer from sp1 to sp2, better to start fresh with an iso

IINexusII, Dec 29, 2020
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Windows10 fresh install from ISO process completely different than previous :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Dec 29, 2020
  4. Kursah Win User

Windows10 fresh install from ISO process completely different than previous

Does doing a fresh install make a difference

I've gone both routes...main PC fresh install.. main laptop upgrade. Kid PC1 upgrade, Kid PC2 fresh install. All are stable.

The upgrade creates a Windows.old directory it is supposed to remove after 30-days which is supposed to allow you to rollback, which seems to work best post-1511 in my experience.

I will say this, if you have better drivers and software installed that isn't supported natively in 10, you're better-off doing an upgrade to keep those features and drivers more intact. That I have found for some older hardware where the driver support stops at Windows 7 or 8.

In the days of yore, a fresh install was always preferred...but Microsoft has done a pretty good job of allowing in-place upgrades to actually be carried out with much greater success to the point on 10 I could really recommend going either way. If you like how your system is right now and want to give 10 a go, here's what I recommend.

• Download Macrium Reflect Free.
    • Create a full disk image on a USB hard drive or spare hard drive. Create bootable media as well.
    • Upgrade to Windows 10.
    • Enjoy = Profit.
    • Issues = Rollback, restore from image or fresh OS install. Now you have options and all of them lead to you not losing anything! *Big Grin Windows10 fresh install from ISO process completely different than previous :D
    EDIT: I should add I've seen some experiences like @rtwjunkie states, so here's some more tips.

• Open CMD in Windows, run as administrator.
    • Run CHKDSK against C:, if errors, perform repair, if not repairable, replace drive. If pass or drive replaced continue.
    • Run SFC /Scannow, if issues not found or issues repaired, continue. If not, report back and I can assist with further commands to get your Windows 8 system back up to snuff.
    • Verify drivers, system, programs stable. Perform disk cleanup, defrag/trim, etc. Remove unwanted junk.
    • BACKUP your data before performing any major process like upgrading. This should be common sense, but many choose to ignore this and then greatly regret it.
    • If OC'd, verify your system is stable or remove OC prior to upgrade process...this will reduce the chances of data corruption and upgrade failure, either of which could lead to a failed upgrade and no longer bootable OS.
    • Run MBAM, Defender, whatever you have for AV to ensure your system isn't obviously infected prior to upgrading, see Sol's TPU AV guide if you need assistance.
    • Once your system is clean, stable and smooth...go back to the list above this one and let us know how it goes!
    *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows10 fresh install from ISO process completely different than previous

1. Windows10 fresh install from ISO process completely different than previous - Similar Threads - Windows10 fresh install

2. Completely fresh install of windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Completely fresh install of windows 10: Hello!I am preparing my PC for a major upgrade, a new upgraded CPU and a new upgraded memory.I would like to have a completely fresh installation on Win 10.I have downloaded the latest version from the media creation tool onto a USB stick.At present, the C drive is on a 430Gb...
  3. Completely fresh install of windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Completely fresh install of windows 10: Hello!I am preparing my PC for a major upgrade, a new upgraded CPU and a new upgraded memory.I would like to have a completely fresh installation on Win 10.I have downloaded the latest version from the media creation tool onto a USB stick.At present, the C drive is on a 430Gb...
  4. Completely fresh install of windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Install ISO backup with different OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install ISO backup with different OS: I use image backup to an ISO file for my desktop computer that has Win10 OS. I want to purchase a new laptop but they only come with Win11 OS but I want to keep using Win10. Can I install the ISO image with Win10 OS onto the new laptop,? Do I need to remove the Win11 OS first...
  6. Install ISO backup with different OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install ISO backup with different OS: I use image backup to an ISO file for my desktop computer that has Win10 OS. I want to purchase a new laptop but they only come with Win11 OS but I want to keep using Win10. Can I install the ISO image with Win10 OS onto the new laptop,? Do I need to remove the Win11 OS first...
  7. Complete format and fresh install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Complete format and fresh install: Hi everyone: I am in the process of organizing my digital files and backing them up before I do a fresh install of Windows 10. Quick question: Is this the best/only way to do a complete fresh install? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh I...
  8. Newly Installed Windows10 looks different

in Windows 10 Customization
    Newly Installed Windows10 looks different: Hello, I've been using Windows 10 for quiet awhile and I've become very familiar with the typical black taskbar with white icons. But I've just recently installed Win10 on an old laptop and the theme seems to be completely different from my PC (White theme with black icons),...
  9. how to install windows10 from ISO ?

how to install windows10 from ISO ?: Hello , I have downlaod win10 from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise and got the ISO file 17763.107.101029-1455.rs5_release_svc_refresh_CLIENT_LTSC_EVAL_x86FRE_en-us.iso upluad it to a usb using rufus but when I try to...
  10. Fresh install in a different language

Fresh install in a different language: Hello. I've bought an HP laptop with preinstalled Russian version of Windows 10 PRO. I am going to use Media creation tool to make clean install and I would like to use English version of Windows. Can I do that? Will it activate automatically or I can run into some issues...