Windows 10: Windows10 how to recover user from existing user profile under "C:\Users" directory?

Discus and support Windows10 how to recover user from existing user profile under "C:\Users" directory? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My previous username contained non-ascii characters and caused some issues in certain software, so I tried to rename my account into another name(e.g.,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Zihan.Yang, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Windows10 how to recover user from existing user profile under "C:\Users" directory?

My previous username contained non-ascii characters and caused some issues in certain software, so I tried to rename my account into another name(e.g., echo).

But the folder name in C:\Users did not change... So I tried to

1. Activate administrator and rename the folder to "echo" (I changed the registry through regedit.exe), but then this account is gone... Windows just cannot detect is anymore even though the user folder is still there, under C:\Users directory.

2. Then I had to delete the old user and re-add a new account called echo. However, this new echo is not my old account... Because it got automatically renamed to "echo.PC_NAME".

Here is my C:\Users folder right now

Windows10 how to recover user from existing user profile under "C:\Users" directory? 23e0bff8-bf29-4635-bdee-eaf99bbbb046?upload=true.png

The "Echo" is my old account (all contents preserved), and "Echo.DESKTOP-A7VDD11" is the new account I added.

How can I recover my old account? Thanks.

:)

Zihan.Yang, Oct 26, 2019

2. User Profiles not uploading at Start

Hi Ernie,

Your computer might have experience a fresh start when the upgrade occurred last December 16, 2017, and the user profiles on it got affected as well. However, let us not jump into any conclusions yet until we isolated your concern. Let's see if we'll be
    able to recover the missing user profile using a command line in command prompt.

• Open CMD as Administrator.
    • Enter this command "net localgroup “Administrators” [Computer Name][Missing User] /add".
    • Once done, restart your computer.

You may also check if you'll see the missing user profile/s in Local User and Groups manager. Here are the steps on how to do so:

• Press the Windows + R on your keyboard, then type in lusrmgr.msc.
    • Click on Users, then check if the missing user profile is on the right pane.

Let us know if the above steps worked.

Carlos Tin, Oct 26, 2019
  3. New Account/User Issues

Hi,

When you create a new user account, Windows uses the Default user profile as a template to construct the files for the newly created user account. You might be experiencing issues creating new accounts due to a corrupt Default profile. To
    resolve the issue, we suggest reinstating the Default folder in the
    Users directory by following these steps:

• Open the C:\Users folder using Windows Explorer.
    • Rename the Default user profile folder to Default.OLD.
    • Download a zip of C:\Users\Default from a Windows 10 installation that doesn't have this problem.
    • Unzip the non-corrupt Default profile into C:\Users.
    • Try logging in to the new user account and check if the problem is resolved.

Let us know how it turns out.

Aileen Alf, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Windows10 how to recover user from existing user profile under "C:\Users" directory?

User Profile Service failed

To resolve your concern, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Copy the Default folder (in C:\Users) from another windows 10 computer.
    • Rename the Default folder to something like DefaultOLD (just to keep it for safety reasons).
    • Paste it in your Users folder.
    • To make sure that you won't have problems with permissions of the "implant" folder, just transfer it via a FAT/FAT32 formatted USB stick (those filesystems don't have permissions).

This will provide solution to the error User Profile Service failed.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Windows10 how to recover user from existing user profile under "C:\Users" directory?

1. Windows10 how to recover user from existing user profile under "C:\Users" directory? - Similar Threads - Windows10 recover user

2. How to remove a user folder under C:\Users\. ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove a user folder under C:\Users\. ?: First show the picture of the folders under "C:\Users\.":My question is, "How can I delete the file named TEMP and TEMP.MSI?"A. The current profile situation:I have only 2 user-account in the computer now, which is "Default" and "HsuChaChuen".This information is checked in...
  3. How to remove a user folder under C:\Users\. ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove a user folder under C:\Users\. ?: First show the picture of the folders under "C:\Users\.":My question is, "How can I delete the file named TEMP and TEMP.MSI?"A. The current profile situation:I have only 2 user-account in the computer now, which is "Default" and "HsuChaChuen".This information is checked in...
  4. Multiple user accounts in C:\Users directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple user accounts in C:\Users directory: Multiple user accounts in C:\Users directory https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-user-accounts-in-cusers-directory/ca2d181b-88f4-4338-aeba-e880033fdd90
  5. Multiple user accounts in C:\Users directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple user accounts in C:\Users directory: Multiple user accounts in C:\Users directory https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-user-accounts-in-cusers-directory/ca2d181b-88f4-4338-aeba-e880033fdd90
  6. Changing the name of user under C:\users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Changing the name of user under C:\users: Windows 10 ver 20H2 build 19042.928 I just got a refurbished second hand computer and would like to change the user name which is shown under C:\users to one of my own.own liking. Will someone please tell me how, if possible, to do that? Thank you. 179010
  7. How do I change the location of a user's directory (C:\Users\User)?

How do I change the location of a user's directory (C:\Users\User)?: Hello! Version 20H2 (19042.867) I would like to change the directory of a user's directory (%HOMEPATH%) or C:\Users\User I know that I can change the directories of Documents, Music, Videos, etc. but I want to change the whole User Directory and move it to a different...
  8. C:\Users Directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C:\Users Directory: Good Afternoon, I have a machine that is a member of a domain. The user account logged onto the machine is a user not an administrator. I run a portable program requires no prior installation as an administrator. I enter domain admin credentials. These domain...
  9. C:\users directory?

in Windows 10 Customization
    C:\users directory?: My C:\users directory shows up as C:\Public\US SEAL 7.ico. Anyone know what's up with that? Thanks; https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cusers-directory/e798521b-7dab-4ae0-89f6-ade14e8fc0e7
  10. Renaming the user folder under c:\users

Renaming the user folder under c:\users: Hi all. As a user who's part of a domain, my user folder under C:\Users is very long and this is disturbing when I use Bash (WSL). the folder is first.last.domainName and that's too long. Ideally, I just want my user folder to be my first.last name without the domain name...