Windows 10: Windows10 not always remembering App Volume Device Preference settings

Discus and support Windows10 not always remembering App Volume Device Preference settings in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows10 all builds since 1803 not always remembering custom sound settings. This is an issue I see on both my PCs (builds 1909 and 2003). Originally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by callumw, Mar 8, 2021.

1. callumw Win User

Windows10 not always remembering App Volume Device Preference settings

Windows10 all builds since 1803 not always remembering custom sound settings.
    This is an issue I see on both my PCs (builds 1909 and 2003). Originally Intel builds, now AMD. Same across all.

I use Voicemeeter fairly extensively. VM Banana on one and VM Potato on the other PC to manage my audio.
    It's not overly complex, but I make good use of the virtual cables and it all works grand.

The one issue I have is with the W10 App Volume Device Preferences:
    Settings | Sound | Advanced Sound Options | App Volume Device Preferences

I have headphones on one PC and speakers on the other, so I set some applications to use alternate outputs for VBAN audio routing and it works perfectly, but there are some applications that don't remember their setting at the OS level and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and know how to resolve it?

It only does this for some applications and some games, not all, so it can work and I'm not sure why some lose their setting.
    The output still looks correct in AVDP, but I can see in Voicemeeter that it's reverted to the default desktop output.

The only way to fix it is, in Windows AVDP, change its output to another device then back to the correct one and then it works.

It happens if I close and re-open the application which is particularly annoying when it's something like a music app (like PlexAmp) that I might close/open several times during a day.

I see this on both my PCs.
    Both were fresh builds of W10 and fresh installs of VoiceMeeter (+ Virtual Cables)

Has anyone else seen this and know how to stop it from ignoring the device preference setting?

:)

callumw, Mar 8, 2021
  2. davidwUU Win User

The audio output device setting in 'App volume and device preferences' doesn't actually work at all.

In 'App volume and device preferences', I set an output audio device other than the default device for my app. I then closed and reopened the application for my change to take effect.

Windows 10 did remember the sound devices I assigned to the individual app whenever I launched the app. But my app will not output to the assigned audio devices at all. It persists to output to the default one.

What's wrong?

My app is simple enough. It's a console application written with C#.

var synthesizerMy = new SpeechSynthesizer();

//synthesizerMy.SetOutputToDefaultAudioDevice();

synthesizerMy.Speak("Are you ready?");

synthesizerMy.Dispose();

And I am sure that the driver of this assigned audio device works well. When I change the default output audio device to it, my app then will output to this usb audio device.

So, I wonder why the output setting for my app in 'App volume and device preferences' does not work at all.

My Windows 10 Pro is Ver. 1909.

Thank you for your advice.

davidwUU, Mar 8, 2021
  3. What's the URI command to open "App volume and device preferences" in Settings?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to opening App volume and device preferences using URI command on your PC.

Based on my research, the URI command to open App volume and device preferences was introduced from Windows 10 1903 version, and therefore the command won’t work on older version of Windows 10.

It looks like you are using an older version of Windows 10, I would suggest you to update to latest version of Windows 10, and then you should be able to use the URI command.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Mar 8, 2021
  4. Sated Win User

How to Save Desired Settings in App Volume and Devices Preferences, Need Answer?

Turning off my monitor(s) when I walk away is troubling for sound preferences. Already, the App Volume and Device Preferences for the individual apps were set manually; specifically devices not sound. ie monitor speakers. I find when restarting windows,
    or just even turning off the monitor(s) after coming back turning them on, they forget the sound settings in: App Volume and Device Preferences on Windows 10. Note: I have the extended monitor set up, Monitor with speakers also connected to onboard motherboard,
    On pc restart sound reverts to default, versus, monitor power off/on doesn't play any sound until I switch it's devices then back to the preferred output/input. This all the while originally set after pc start up (each start up).

>>> Is there a way to save desired settings through App Volume and Device Preferences? <<<

Sated, Mar 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows10 not always remembering App Volume Device Preference settings - Similar Threads - Windows10 always remembering

2. "App volume and device preferences" does not remember the output that I set for my game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "App volume and device preferences" does not remember the output that I set for my game.: I have set a game PUBG to output it's sound to a virtual audio device. This works great.When I close the app and open it again later on, the game is set back to 'default', meaning I have to put it back to the virtual audio device every time.Is there any way I can get the "app...
  3. "App volume and device preferences" does not remember the output that I set for my game.

in Windows 10 Customization
    "App volume and device preferences" does not remember the output that I set for my game.: I have set a game PUBG to output it's sound to a virtual audio device. This works great.When I close the app and open it again later on, the game is set back to 'default', meaning I have to put it back to the virtual audio device every time.Is there any way I can get the "app...
  4. Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings: Currently running Windows 10 Enterprise, version 10.0.19042I repeatedly have to open "app volume and device preferences" to lower app volumes. My settings don't appear to be saving.Does anyone know why?...
  5. Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings: Currently running Windows 10 Enterprise, version 10.0.19042I repeatedly have to open "app volume and device preferences" to lower app volumes. My settings don't appear to be saving.Does anyone know why?...
  6. Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings

7. Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings

Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings: Currently running Windows 10 Enterprise, version 10.0.19043I repeatedly have to open "app volume and device preferences" to lower app volumes. My settings don't appear to be saving.Does anyone know why?...
  8. Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings: Currently running Windows 10 Enterprise, version 10.0.19043I repeatedly have to open "app volume and device preferences" to lower app volumes. My settings don't appear to be saving.Does anyone know why?...
  9. Saving "app volume and device preferences" settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  10. App volume and device preferences doesn't remember device per App

App volume and device preferences doesn't remember device per App: Hi, I've got a little problem with audio in Win10 19042.906. The "App volume and device preferences" doesn't remember the Audio output device for the Application. Although it shows in the settings that the output is Set as I select, the Output is the same as the Default...