Windows 10: Windows10 running in selective mode vs. normal mode

Discus and support Windows10 running in selective mode vs. normal mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; There have been many posts on the internet about why Windows10 runs in selective mode and will not run in normal mode. Here is the reason, when loading... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pressanykey, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Windows10 running in selective mode vs. normal mode

There have been many posts on the internet about why Windows10 runs in selective mode and will not run in normal mode. Here is the reason, when loading a driver other than one Windows has determined is the best it changes the Windows configuration mode from normal to selective and will not revert back to normal mode.

The proof: I did a clean install of Windows10 Pro 64-bit. When logging in for the first time the display driver is the Windows default. I loaded the network driver next, checked the Windows configuration and it was normal. Once there was connection to the internet, Windows went out and automatically loaded the best display driver for my display adapter, an nVidia GTx 750. I noticed the driver version was an older version from November 2015. I checked properties and selected update driver, Windows came back stating the best driver was loaded. I then went to nVidia's website and updated the display driver. Bam, as soon as the reboot occurred Windows configuration mode went to Selective Mode and would not go back into Normal Mode. Once this happened I had to reinstall Windows10 again as a clean install.

So, the bottom line is this. Windows wants to run the system drivers it determines to be best for your system. Should you update a system driver that has not be sanctioned by Microsoft, Windows10 will run in Selective Mode. Since I had to reinstall Windows10, I have only been running the system drivers Windows has loaded. I am now going through all the updates, so this may change.

I did not load any of the chipset drivers and only loaded the network adapter driver from the CD that came with my motherboard.

I am still experimenting with loading system drivers and updates. Should anything change I will update the post.

:)

pressanykey, Apr 16, 2016

2. Can't create a folder in windows10 in normal mode

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry for the delay.

How are you logged into the system, by using a Microsoft account or a local account?

I understand that you are facing issue with Windows 10 not with Windows 8.1. I have provided the steps for Clean Boot and you need to follow those steps and the other steps (3-7) which are same as Windows 8.1 in the article provided above.

Try to run SFC scan and DISM in Safe Mode and check if it works.

Safe Mode:

1. Restart your PC. When you reach the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key and select the Power button, and then select Restart.

2. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options >Startup settings > Restart. After your PC restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with networking.

Also, check how many accounts are present on the system.

Open Run (type run in Search or press Windows Logo Key+X. Click on Run). Type netplwiz and Click OK.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Apr 16, 2016
  3. mikek_915 Win User
    Can't create a folder in windows10 in normal mode

I may have been remiss in stating that the issue regarding creating a folder via a means while in normal mode does not work. Whether that is right clicking my mouse, clicking on the New Folder icon or using the drop down New Item at the top of the page
    in File Explorer.

mikek_915, Apr 16, 2016
  4. johngalt Win User

Windows10 running in selective mode vs. normal mode

Interesting. I have a laptop I just installed IP build 14316 and is pristine. I will check this out myself and see if it occurs on my end as well.

johngalt, Apr 16, 2016
  5. Winuser Win User
    I thought it was always like that.

Winuser, Apr 16, 2016
  6. msny Win User
    Doesn't Windows 10 manage ALL upgrades such as drivers, updates ect.?
    So this isn't like windows 7 where YOU could selectivity upgrade this stuff
    on your own.

7. Winuser Win User
    You can still manually upgrade drivers in Win 10.

Winuser, Apr 16, 2016
  8. Windows10 running in selective mode vs. normal mode

Update: I have checked other computers running Windows10 from Lenovo, HP, and others. I found that all of them are running in Selective Mode. Since most computer/laptop manufactures are customizing their product, they change something that Windows detects as different and then runs in Selective Mode. Therefore, running in Selective Mode is otherwise normal.

Selective Mode is nothing more than running a selected or modified Windows configuration that is different from what Windows10 would run as default. So it is perfectly normal for an HP, Lenovo, or Dell computer to be running in Selective Mode.

I am still testing to see if loading software might change the mode, such as loading antivirus software that replaces Windwos Defender. So far loading Norton Internet Security has not changed the Windows configuration startup mode. Right now it appears to be isolated to system drivers, though which drivers and why are still a guess. Loading the latest nVidia drivers for my display adapter caused Windows10 to run in Selective Mode. However, loading the latest Realtek audio driver for my motherboard did not change the mode. I suspect the driver needs to be of a certain version/level that Microsoft approves of or is date sensitive.

Also, I have not loaded the chipset drivers as Windows10 appears to be using its own chipset drivers. Be careful, if you update a driver and it changes the startup mode, simply rolling back the driver may not allow Windows10 to run in Normal Mode. I had to reinstall Windows10 after updating my display driver and attempting to roll back the driver.

For my nVidia GTx 750 display adapter the driver that Windows10 downloaded is 10.18.13.5891 dated 11/05/2015 any newer driver will cause Windows10 to run in Selective Mode.

For Realtek audio, driver 6.0.1.7730 dated 1/26/2016 is compatible.

For ethernet my motherboard uses Killer e2000 gigabit ethernet controller, driver 8.0.2.42 dated 3/20/2013 and is compatible. I am going to try and update the driver and will report back.

pressanykey, Apr 17, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    Since XP selective mode is turned on every time any changes to startup are made. In Normal mode every startup item is started at BOOT and in Diagnostic Startup only most necessary services, drivers and programs. Sometimes also referred as Clean BOOT.

CountMike, Apr 17, 2016
  10. dmesal Win User
    This might sound dumb but what is the difference? I had not noticed selective mode or normal mode, is there any real difference in performance or capabilities.

dmesal, Apr 17, 2016
  11. CountMike New Member
    You'll find them in "msconfig". If you turn anything off from starting you get Selective mode where you select programs and services to autostart at BOOT.

CountMike, Apr 17, 2016
  12. I think we can put this to bed now, here is my final take on Selective Mode vs. Normal Mode. Windows10 will switch to Selective Mode when a system driver is at a version level not verified or approved by Microsoft. For example, updating my display driver to the latest version caused Windows10 to switch into Selective Mode. Once Windows10 switches to Selective Mode, as far as I have tested, it will not go back into Normal Mode. I suspect this has to do with the Registry changing due to upgrading a system driver. So, after leaving things alone and letting Windows10 select the drivers Windows10 stayed in Normal Mode. I then upgraded my network adapter driver and bam, Windows10 switch to Selective Mode and would not revert back to Normal Mode even after rolling back the driver.

Running in Selective Mode is, basically, no different than running in Normal Mode. So if you should notice your computer running in Selective Mode it means there is a system driver that Microsoft has not yet approved, verified, recognized, or provided by Microsoft. As long as your computer is running without problems, everything is just fine.

As a side note, I did contact Microsoft support on this issue. As far as Microsoft is concerned Windows10 should run in Normal Mode. They can't or won't explain why Windows10 is running in Selective Mode, nor will they tell you it is ok. Microsoft technical support provides very basic support, nothing too complicated, and can't really help for more involved issues. As an IT professional I found Microsoft support to be condescending as they assume the customer knows nothing and they don't listen very well. Microsoft support would much rather remote in to your machine than provided an explanation or talk you through a resolution. And, once Microsoft determines your copy of Windows is an OEM version, not the retail version, they abruptly stop giving you support.

So there you have it, Selective Mode is ok as long as no problems with your computer. You may find your Windows10 computer may be running in Selective Mode if it is from HP, Lenovo, Dell, Toshiba, ASUS, MSI, or any other computer manufacture as most of these manufactures install system drivers designed for their respective systems.

My next post will be on using SSD and a hard drive together, stay tuned.

pressanykey, Apr 17, 2016
  13. msny Win User

Can you explain this in detail?
    It doesn't seem that way.

14. Winuser Win User
    I haven't had a problems with Windows 10 not allowing me to install my own drivers. When I want to install updated drivers for a device I'll go to the manufacturers site and check for updates. If I find any I'll download them and follow the manufacturers instructions to install them. What drivers are you having a problem with? Maybe we can help.

Winuser, Apr 18, 2016
  15. There seems to be some confusion here. This is not about problems installing drivers, this is about why Windows10 shows starting in Selective Mode when checking using the msconfig command. Updating drivers is not the problem, all the drivers I loaded or updated did so just fine. What I was trying to address was why Windows10 runs in Selective Mode and why can't it run in Normal Mode without reverting back to Selective Mode. The answer turned out to be how Microsoft recognizes, verifies, and or approves system drivers for use in Windows10. When the system driver is too new or at a version level higher than what Microsoft has determined is the best system driver to use, and has not yet been vetted by Microsoft and the corresponding Windows10 update has not been loaded, Windows10 switches to Selective Mode. Running in Selective Mode is not a problem, most computers from HP, Lenovo, Dell and the like are more than likely running in Selective Mode. So if you upgrade a system driver whether manually or through an automated process, other than a Windows10 update, and the system driver is the latest and greatest, or at a version level different than what Microsoft has determined is best, chances are your computer may switch modes and run in Selective Mode.

To MSNY: Yes you can upgrade drivers manually in Windows10. For that matter, you can upgrade drivers manually in every version of Windows.

To Winuser: If you have loaded the latest system driver, run the msconfig command and you will see what I am talking about. Chances are Windows10 will start in Selective Mode. I just re-imaged my computer and loaded Windows10 Pro 64-bit, in doing so I noticed the startup mode when I checked and began to ask why. Loading drivers from the manufacture website is perfectly fine and Windows10 runs perfectly well in Selective Mode.

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion, if not please post your question. If your question is referring to something different I may answer in another post with the appropriate title.

pressanykey, Apr 18, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows10 running in selective mode vs. normal mode - Similar Threads - Windows10 running selective

2. Windows Installer service NOT startable in normal mode, runs fine in safe mode with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Installer service NOT startable in normal mode, runs fine in safe mode with...: Hello, since about a month ago, I am unable to install any program that uses the Windows installer msiserver during the installation in normal mode.In the service overview services.msc the service is shown as stopped and the start mode is manual.Any attempt to start the...
  3. Windows Installer service NOT startable in normal mode, runs fine in safe mode with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Installer service NOT startable in normal mode, runs fine in safe mode with...: Hello, since about a month ago, I am unable to install any program that uses the Windows installer msiserver during the installation in normal mode.In the service overview services.msc the service is shown as stopped and the start mode is manual.Any attempt to start the...
  4. HDD Accessible in Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Accessible in Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode: Everything was fine a few days ago, and sudden after I restarted my PC, my PC cannot connect my D drive HDD drive. But when I enter safe mode, everything still work as the bug never happened!Every times I boot in normal mode and enter disk management, I can see the D...
  5. Broken normal mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Broken normal mode: So I’m having this OBNOXIOUS problem that seems to be unfixable. So I was installing Aero10 using DISM on my laptop, restarted it using Shift+Restart, but there was no “Aero10” option in the boot menu, so I just booted into Windows 10. When I logged on tho, I only saw a...
  6. windows10 safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows10 safe mode: Hi can anyone help please. My Lenovo laptop is in safe mode and I can't release it. Have tried various ways all to fix the problem with no joy. About to put laptop under car wheel....
  7. windows10 in safe mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows10 in safe mode: I wish to buy an external DVD writer for my laptop running in windows 10S. Is this possible ? or will w10S prevent me from doing this [ ie stop me from loading drivers/software]....
  8. How to run Outlook in normal mode?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to run Outlook in normal mode?: Outlook will run only in safe mode. How to have it into normal mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-run-outlook-in-normal-mode/1c42d28e-dfee-470b-94b6-80882b303999
  9. how to change safe mode to normal mode

how to change safe mode to normal mode: I have searched everywhere to change safe mode can't open apps ,Cortana or sound notification telling me can not access in safe mode this is a h-p laptop HELP...
  10. Boot Up - Safe vs normal mode

Boot Up - Safe vs normal mode: My PC always Boots up into 'SAFE mode'. How do I Boot up in normal mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-up-safe-vs-normal-mode/5aa99c05-5456-4fe6-a38c-6765b8046b9c

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 in selective mode