Windows 10: Windows10 running in selective mode vs. normal mode

Discus and support Windows10 running in selective mode vs. normal mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I haven't had a problems with Windows 10 not allowing me to install my own drivers. When I want to install updated drivers for a device I'll go to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pressanykey, Apr 16, 2016.

1. msny Win User

Windows10 running in selective mode vs. normal mode

I have 2 older systems that I built circa 2007 and 2010.
    Manufacturers drivers are mostly out of date, some being for win 7 or 8 at best.

Everything works fine in windows 10, but had heck of a time installing on both systems.

My understanding has been that if you manually installed a graphics driver for instance, Windows 10
    would always overwrite it automatically if it felt it wasn't correct.

Am I wrong?

2. I manually install all drivers whenever a new one comes out. Have always manually installed graphic drivers to insure I am using the latest for my video card. Windows has never tried to override as yet.

stealth2920, Apr 18, 2016
  3. johngalt Win User
    It depends upon the driver, and if Windows had what it thinks are better drivers.

johngalt, Apr 19, 2016
  4. lmaneke Win User

I have done many driver updates and program installs, and normal startup appears all the time for me.

lmaneke, Apr 20, 2016
  5. Johnnie Win User
    Hi, I have this same issue with my MS Surface Pro 4 after updating it with the Aug Anniversary Update. Prior to that my wife's Dell Laptop had this same issue. I have been going crazy trying to fix it to Normal Startup. I really do not want to do clean re-install of Win 10. My wife's laptop was originally a Win 7 machine and I took advantage of the free upgrade to Win 10 in July. I sometimes had issues when Windows Update would run updates would fail to install. I had fixed this issue in the past doing a clean boot which is a selective startup. I even experienced updates failing on my Win 7 Desktop and have to do a clean boot to get them to install.

Anyway, I am puzzled why Surface Pro 4 is stuck in Selective Startup. You mentioned that you tested it by using a 3rd party AV (Norton). I had many issues with Norton on my Win 10 machines so I switched to BitDefender for AV and Internet Security. So I am thinking that you may not be correct when it comes to not using MS Defender. I am thinking my issue could be that BitDefender is causing my issue with my Surface Pro 4. I am not sure but suspect it is the cause. As for the difference between Selective Startup and Normal I experience very slow startup on my wife's laptop ever since it got stuck in Selective Startup. BitDefender takes a long time to load on the task bar, but occurred after I uninstalled it to see if that would correct this issue. So after reinstalling BitDefender it loads last.

I hate doing a Reset or Clean Install because that is more work on my part because I will have to re-install software and apps that did not originally come with the machine. Just additional pain. I am hoping there is way to fix this by doing a simple command in Command prompt or Registry Editor.

Johnnie, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows10 running in selective mode vs. normal mode - Similar Threads - Windows10 running selective

2. Windows Installer service NOT startable in normal mode, runs fine in safe mode with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Installer service NOT startable in normal mode, runs fine in safe mode with...: Hello, since about a month ago, I am unable to install any program that uses the Windows installer msiserver during the installation in normal mode.In the service overview services.msc the service is shown as stopped and the start mode is manual.Any attempt to start the...
  3. Windows Installer service NOT startable in normal mode, runs fine in safe mode with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Installer service NOT startable in normal mode, runs fine in safe mode with...: Hello, since about a month ago, I am unable to install any program that uses the Windows installer msiserver during the installation in normal mode.In the service overview services.msc the service is shown as stopped and the start mode is manual.Any attempt to start the...
  4. HDD Accessible in Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Accessible in Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode: Everything was fine a few days ago, and sudden after I restarted my PC, my PC cannot connect my D drive HDD drive. But when I enter safe mode, everything still work as the bug never happened!Every times I boot in normal mode and enter disk management, I can see the D...
  5. Broken normal mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Broken normal mode: So I’m having this OBNOXIOUS problem that seems to be unfixable. So I was installing Aero10 using DISM on my laptop, restarted it using Shift+Restart, but there was no “Aero10” option in the boot menu, so I just booted into Windows 10. When I logged on tho, I only saw a...
  6. windows10 safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows10 safe mode: Hi can anyone help please. My Lenovo laptop is in safe mode and I can't release it. Have tried various ways all to fix the problem with no joy. About to put laptop under car wheel....
  7. windows10 in safe mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows10 in safe mode: I wish to buy an external DVD writer for my laptop running in windows 10S. Is this possible ? or will w10S prevent me from doing this [ ie stop me from loading drivers/software]....
  8. How to run Outlook in normal mode?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to run Outlook in normal mode?: Outlook will run only in safe mode. How to have it into normal mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-run-outlook-in-normal-mode/1c42d28e-dfee-470b-94b6-80882b303999
  9. how to change safe mode to normal mode

how to change safe mode to normal mode: I have searched everywhere to change safe mode can't open apps ,Cortana or sound notification telling me can not access in safe mode this is a h-p laptop HELP...
  10. Boot Up - Safe vs normal mode

Boot Up - Safe vs normal mode: My PC always Boots up into 'SAFE mode'. How do I Boot up in normal mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-up-safe-vs-normal-mode/5aa99c05-5456-4fe6-a38c-6765b8046b9c