Windows 10: Windows10 VPN using IPSEC/IKEv2 won't connect

Discus and support Windows10 VPN using IPSEC/IKEv2 won't connect in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have set up a VPN server using IPSEC/IKEv2. Certificates are used for authentication, both for the server and a client. VPN connection works great... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IsmoM, Sep 29, 2020.

1. IsmoM Win User

Windows10 VPN using IPSEC/IKEv2 won't connect

I have set up a VPN server using IPSEC/IKEv2. Certificates are used for authentication, both for the server and a client.

VPN connection works great with a third party VPN client Greenbow but native Windows VPN client won't even try to connect.

Trying to open VPN connection Start -> VPN settings -> [select VPN] -> Connect results just a dialog "Verifying your sign-in info" which terminates with message "The context has expired and can no longer be used". Wireshark shows no traffic related to the connection excluding a DNS query.

Certificate chain and a user certificate are installed in 'Local Computer' certificate storage. I don't really understand which "sign-in info" is being verified. I have also tried to set up the connection with power shell, but that wouldn't help either:

Add-VpnConnection -Name "MyVPN" -ServerAddress "vpn.acme.com" -AuthenticationMethod "MachineCertificate" -EncryptionLevel "Required" -TunnelType "IKEv2"

System info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

How to fix this? I would really like to use VPN client included in Windows10 if only it wasn't broken.

-Ismo

:)

IsmoM, Sep 29, 2020
  2. StanBlyat Win User

Issues connecting to an IKEv2 VPN "The parameter is incorrect"

I've set up a VPN using StrongSwan software on a DigitalOcean server.
    I used this guide here :How to Set Up an IKEv2 VPN Server with StrongSwan on Ubuntu 16.04 | DigitalOcean;

The server has no issues, the ufw rules, ipsec config and StrongSwan config are all followed exactly as the tutorial shows.

Whenever I click connect on Windows 10, via the control panel VPN section, it returns the message "Can't connec to VPN" "The parameter is incorrect".

The VPN is IKEv2

StanBlyat, Sep 29, 2020
  3. Adding IKEv2-based VPN connection through Group Policy

Hi everyone,

We've recently updated our VPN connection to IKEv2 and I'd like to update that through Group Policy so that it will be automatically configured for users on the domain. When I look at Group Policy, though, I don't see IKEv2 as an option. Under [User Configuration]
    > [Preferences] > [Control Panel Settings] > [Network Options], when you create a new VPN connection, there are only the following choices under the [Networking] tab:

Type of VPN:

- Automatic

- PPTP VPN

- L2TP IPsec VPN

... but if you setup the connection manually, you can choose the IKEv2 connection type. Why don't I see it in Group Policy? Our Domain is at Windows 2008 R2 functionality level. Thanks for your help with this!

Jim Sprague, Sep 29, 2020
  4. Hao_1993 Win User

A problem of Windows 10 VPN (Ikev2) connection

I tried to use ikev2 VPN on my windows 10 laptop, and connected successfully (at least it showed "connected"). However, when I checked my IP on google, it suggested that it didn't connect me to the VPN server at all. And other methods also proved that my
    laptop didn't get access to the Internet via ikev2 VPN.

So are there anyone who also meet the same problem? Is it a bug on windows 10, or just something I do is wrong?

Hao_1993, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows10 VPN using IPSEC/IKEv2 won't connect - Similar Threads - Windows10 VPN using

2. KB5009543 Breaks IKEv2 VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5009543 Breaks IKEv2 VPN: My Windows 10 installed a bunch of updates today. KB5009543 is one of them. That update breaks my IKEv2 VPN. I can no longer establish VPN connection without getting this: Can't connect to <My_VPN_Connection> General processing error".Uninstalling KB5009543 restores VPN...
  3. KB5009543 Breaks IKEv2 VPN

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5009543 Breaks IKEv2 VPN: My Windows 10 installed a bunch of updates today. KB5009543 is one of them. That update breaks my IKEv2 VPN. I can no longer establish VPN connection without getting this: Can't connect to <My_VPN_Connection> General processing error".Uninstalling KB5009543 restores VPN...
  4. KB5009543 Breaks IKEv2 VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. LT2P/IPsec VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LT2P/IPsec VPN: I want to use LT2P/IPsec to connect a Windows 10 client over the internet to a Windows 2019 server. After connecting, the client should still be able to browse the internet. The client needs access to the server's disks Drive mappings and to a service running on a port.So...
  6. LT2P/IPsec VPN

LT2P/IPsec VPN: I want to use LT2P/IPsec to connect a Windows 10 client over the internet to a Windows 2019 server. After connecting, the client should still be able to browse the internet. The client needs access to the server's disks Drive mappings and to a service running on a port.So...
  7. LT2P/IPsec VPN

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Unable to connect to L2TP/IPSEC VPN

Unable to connect to L2TP/IPSEC VPN: Hi there, I was hoping someone here could help me troubleshoot the issue as I have exhausted my internet search powers :-The issue is this:- I have a Win10, a Mac and a Linux computer. - The Windows computer cannot connect to the VPN via the home network.- The Windows...
  9. AlwaysOn VPN IKEv2 issues on shared connection

AlwaysOn VPN IKEv2 issues on shared connection: Hi, we have some users that have issues connecting to the AlwaysOn VPN. This only seems to occur to couples that work at the same company. Monitored the firewall in front of our VPN, because I thought it would be the NAT of ESP proto 50 causing the issues, but there's...
  10. IKEv2 VPN Manager App..?

IKEv2 VPN Manager App..?: Hello. Let's say i have multiple VPN accounts using the IKEv2 protocol and i don't want to bother with the Windows interface to enter them, is there an app such as OpenVPNConnect for manager the oVPN files/configurations? There must be. Or at least something that could let...